300 lb dressed muley??

smiley-eatin-popcorn.gif

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:
The poster does not take any responsibility for any hurt or bad feelings. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster would like to remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-26-11 AT 03:19PM (MST)[p]This makes me laugh, its good to see there is some kid left in all of us.

I have never seen a buck dress over 300. However I have seen more than a few that broke 200. I have seen quite a few over 250. That would be offical at the Pearsons Tire Big Buck Contest in Richfield UT. Most years the buck that won heavyest buck was between 240-275 dressed. That was about as offical as I think you are going to get.

I do believe there are bucks out there over the 300 mark.

Sage,
Clowns will be clowns. I have to agree. An outfitter that has never seen a 200 pound muley is more unbelievable to me than a 400 pound muley? But that might just be my uneducated opinion.

"We have killed bucks that push the 200 inch mark that weigh under 200 pounds on the rack! Like I said everyone has a opinion that is what hunting is all about."

LOL! A buck hanging on the scale is NOT AN OPINION!

Joey, you just have to let it go with this guy.

Eel

Muley-73
You sound real edjumacated you guys are real Internet einstiens.
Colorado has small bodied deer I guess you guys just stay home we will kill all we can.

Small bodied deer? Where are you located CoCat? Don't generalize Colorado, just because your region of the state kicks out dinks. Yes, region to region, antler genetics and body size can differ. Please let us know where you, your butcher shop, or your outfitter is located.

If nothing else, I bet there will be a pile of scales in the field next year. Sage, why don't you bring this up this September? Make it a fun MM big buck contest.

This is the only mule deer I have been able to weigh (whole, field dressed). Any guesses on weight? Not the best picture, he looked bigger side on.

9803unit_21-2_019.jpg

Zeekers
We are in northwest Colorado! And as far as Dinks go we don't shoot dinks!!!!! We cut up all the deer, elk and antelope for the hunters. So I know a little about size.
I think their may be a difference in the hanging methods on here. You might get a buck over 200 with hide and head on but we weigh them no hide or head.
I will try to post some of my dinks

I thought we was talking dead deer, Not wrapped and packaged and ready for the freezer.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

LAST EDITED ON Mar-26-11 AT 06:31PM (MST)[p]In an earlier post you said "field dressed". In another post you said "without guts". What's next, "without bones"?
I understand that you are going off of the carcass weight, hence, in my first post, I used the carcass weight to describe a buck that went 292.
It's just my observation what I see in Eastern Colorado every fall, I cannot back it up with proof, as I do not weigh every one. I will have a scale this fall though!

What weighs more? 300lbs of Muley or 300lbs of feathers?

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:
The poster does not take any responsibility for any hurt or bad feelings. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster would like to remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.

JFP!

All this Bickering over: 300 lb dressed muley??

I'll just make kind of an educated Guess here!

No doubt in my mind back in the Banner Day of Mule Deer Bucks in TARDville there were some Bucks that dressed 300+ lbs!

No doubt in my mind now very few in TARDVILLE would break 200 lbs dressed!

PISSCUTTERS just don't live long enough in TARDville to get very heavy,sure makes for a nice drag though!:D

Now days a 300 lb Buck on the Hoof would be a Big Buck!

Some of the smallest bodied Deer I've seen in recent years have been on the LaSals & on SJ,what some Jack Rabbit sized bodies them Deer have!

I don't care if they're big or small!
If they throw lead I like em all!
:p

ramtagless, how much did that buck weigh, if you're not too afraid to say?:) I would really like to know.

Eel

Hey Eel - He weighed 195 pounds. I was surprised and guessed him over that...I was thinking 215-220, something like that.

Weight is like score, most of us over estimate (imo). I dont think a 200 pound deer is as common as some would believe (weighing that deer changed my mind a bit). But they are certainly out there and a bunch that big get killed every year i am sure. 300 pounds is one huge deer.

thanks ramtagless, I think you're right. 200lb. aren't near as common now as in the past. Your buck is obviously a mature deer, a wonderful trophy.

Eel

Catchaser said: "I think their may be a difference in the hanging methods on here. You might get a buck over 200 with hide and head on but we weigh them no hide or head.
I will try to post some of my dinks"

I think what most people here were talking of as field dressed weight was guts out including windpipe and possibly forelegs off.

This is what I have known as field dressed. I am not saying it is the RIGHT definition but it is as I have understood it and the weights I have given are using this definition.

Ramtaglass that is about what I would have guessed that deer but that is easy to say after you gave us the weight. LOL! I just say this cuz most of the deer I have seen with dressed weight over 200 are longer in body than the pic of your buck.

But you are correct in saying that many (probably including a couple of mine) are estimated a bit high.

Bill

Look out Forkie, FTW is watching us!

Here is another photo of a 306 lbs. buck. They can still be found.....maybe not from Wilson Creek to the Wyoming border though.

Moose

5691montana_76_big_mo.jpg

Every hunting season you miss is one you can not make up

Yep moose...that is a hell of a big deer. Would like to see a photo of that hoss hanging.

My deer is longer than you think though. Larry is 6' 9", he played power forward for the nuggets in the 60's.

Big mousey
If that deer weighs 300 how much you go about 90 pounds? By the way nice hat when did you shoot that in the 60's

2802picture_013.jpg

9309picture_006.jpg

this is my first buck. i was almost 17 here and couldn't move him by myself to gut him. couldn't move him 50 feet with the help of my friend. we ate this deer for a long ace time!

It was a big bodied 2 point.

O'CatChaser.....It's been awhile since I've weighed 90 lbs. and your logic escapes me as to why you think the buck would look bigger ? Glad you liked the hat though....it was part of my camo outfit that I wore in those days. That's a Model 29 under my left arm pit that I carried as a meat packing gun. Also, I scrolled up and found that I killed this buck in 1976 (thought he looked familar). I'm guessing you are a little younger than me and you will still have time to find one of these big bucks that break the 200 lb mark. I've found that you need to be selective when hunting and not shoot those youngsters. Alfalfa alone won't put the weight on, they need to get a little older too! Good luck.

Big mousey???

Every hunting season you miss is one you can not make up

Well moosie if 18% protien won't put weight on a mule deer I don't know what does! I am a little younger than you but that does not mean less the wiser . I have shot a few bucks nearing the 200 inch mark that are 6 or 7 years old. We don't shoot to many young ones. And what does a model 29 have to do with anything? That is a dandy buck but over 300# s I think not
I am sure we can agree to disagree on this post. Maybe this year I will kill a buck in a local corn field that will break 200 pounds gosh I hope. I would love to be in the same ring as you west coasters

Sorry Ram if I offended you on that one it was not intentional.

6'9"!!! Holy Chit! You are right he is longer than he looked, HAHA!!

Bill

Look out Forkie, FTW is watching us!

You didn't offend me bill. Just a poor attempt at humor.

Weighing deer is fun and interesting if you can get them out whole. I wish I would have weighed more of the whitetails I killed when I was younger.

What the F*** are you guys gonna argue about next??!!

Sit tall in the saddle, hold your head up high, keep your eyes fixed to where the trail meets the sky...

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom