300 RUM Factory loads

stillwaitin

So I just bought my Browning A-Bolt and ended up going with the 300 RUM, and am just wondering what the best factory loads are or if they are all pretty close. I was planning on going with 180 gr, but is there any advantage going up to 200+ or down to 150. Any info or help is appreciated.

Thanks

Now I hae little experience so take this with a grain of salt. I would go with the 180 in the swift sirroco power level 3. With this bullet you get a high BC and great energy. Now if you jump up to 200gr and shoot factory Remington you have to shoot the swift A frame. With the A frame you loose you BC. The 180 I beleive most guys on here will tell you can take any game in North America. When I was up fishing in Alaska I met a guy that claimed to have taken a griz with the 180 p3 sirroco. You can always step down to the 150 gr if you are going for antalopes or something of that size. A couple buddies of mine use the 180 hand loads same ones they use in Colorado for whitetail deer in Minnesota.

Now we come to a possible problem. I don't think Browning makes a RUM. I looked online and could not find a 300RUM, but I might be wrong so if I am sorry.

I haven't put any factory ammo through my .300 RUM in 10 years. If I was going to, I'd start with Nosler Custom loaded with 200 grain Accubonds. Remington used to make a load using the 180 grain Scirrocco, but if you do some research, you'll see the gains from using a 180 as opposed to the high bc 200 grain bullet are minimal. Personally, I think bullets lighter than 180 in the .300 RUM are a waste of time. (Except for a 125 grain BT load I have at almost 4000 fps for coyotes). mtmuley

The gun is two years old, it's an A-bolt not the X. So maybe they don't make it any more.

I should have said that this will be used mostly for elk, and deer this year as I have the buck/bull combo.

Thanks Again!

I like the 300 rum with a 200 accubond pushing 3000+. That is why you buy the 300 rum to push heavy bullets fast. The accubond has a high b.c and packs alot energy to dispatch game at long distances.

Id say stick to the 200gr accubonds like Mt muley suggests. The nosler custom ammo isnt much more than remington loaded stuff. Plus you get better brass and I bet accuracy. I wouldnt shoot anything under 180. A 150gr is way to light for a ultra IMO. Good luck and let us know how it shoots.

Remington 180 scirrocos! My friend shot a bull this year at 667 yds with them. It took 3 steps and fell over, That bullets destroyed the in side of the elk, even at that distance.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom