.338 Lapua Loads?

HorseCreek

Very Active Member
For those that are reloading for this cartridge, what powder/bullet combo are you liking? I still need my dies but I'm trying to get as much info as I can before I get started.
Thanks!

Traditional >>>------->

I was hoping Reddog would pop in. I just got done loading a few diff loads. 300 grain Accubonds, 285 grain barnes tsx, and 250 grain bergers. I loaded them all with a couple diff powder charges. I want to shoot them tomorrow to see which shoots best. I leave a week from today to Wyoming for elk. I'd love to have a good load for it by then.

Traditional >>>------->

LAST EDITED ON Oct-08-14 AT 02:59AM (MST)[p]Retumbo has been rather fickle for me in the 338LM.

I load most of my stuff with 300 grain OTM's, but do have some 250gr Scenar loads you could try if you work up to them.

I really like VVN560 for 250gr bullets, my load with the Scenar is 89gr, and gives over 3k.

H1000 is a more common powder and is pretty consistent for me, I use 92gr of it, again behind a Scenar.

I'm using Lapua brass and GM215M primers,drop down some and work up, as always,especially using different bullets.

The Scenar I'm using is very forgiving as far as seating depth, i dont know what rifle you're working with or what COAL it will allow, but if using these loads I gave, keep them off the lands, if you're jamming or kissing them, drop the charge accordingly.

a few powders to look for, if you havent already got some is

H1000
N560
N570
RL25
RL33

All those will get you where you want to be, and H4831 is also pretty decent if you cant find any of the above.

Sorry I have not worked with 300grain accubonds or 250 bergers, but H1000 works well for 300's too, and retumbo is actually a little better for 300's than it is with 250's.I know powder is scarce right now, let me know what you have available and I can tell you if i've worked with it before.

Hey reddog, thanks for the replie.
I'm really new and green to the reloading and long range cartridges like the lapu. I'm loading the said bullets with Retumbo on the accubond, US869 on the Barnes and H1000 on the bergers.
I've looked into the scenars but aren't they more for match shooting? This gun is primarily for hunting.
I've got a few batches loaded up. Gonna try to shoot them in the next day or so. I'll let ya know how they group.
What do you zero your gun at?
My gun is the weatherby Mark V Accumark topped with night force scope.

Traditional >>>------->

I zero the 338LM at 600..But i like a 100 yard zero for hunting rifles..Some guys like the utilize MPBR even when using turrets, some like 100,200 and so on, its all fine, do what works for you.

I like the simple 100 yard zero for fast shots out to 300, its what i'm used to and keeps me from shooting over critters, which most of the time, when i see a miss its usually because they shot over it, be it me or someone else.

Those are all good choices in powder, you should be in tall cotton there. IIRC, the ammo I used in a MK5 were 300grain SMK's ,H1000 seated at 3.770, they shot really good. (not my rifle,so I'm not too familiar with the how wby chambered/throated it).

I wont get into wether or not the Scenar is a hunting bullet, but you're correct, Lapua doesnt list them as a hunting bullet.

Looks like its 92 grains of Retumbo and 300 grain accubonds for now. I have a Wyoming elk tag starting next week. I still wanna fine tune some other loads after the hunt.
Not sure why but the bergers and Barnes were both hitting 8-10" low and 6-8" to the left.

Traditional >>>------->

I have had good luck with 97 grains of RL33 behind either a 300 grain Berger VLD or Nosler Accubond. Groups nice and tight.

3351lapua_carnage.jpg

careful w/ those 300g bergers. might ruin a cape and or some meat. this was a muley buck...shot at 250 yards.

>
3351lapua_carnage.jpg

>
>
>careful w/ those 300g bergers.
>might ruin a cape and
>or some meat. this
>was a muley buck...shot at
>250 yards.
Looks like the perfect load for those so called lone wolf hatchet terrorist of New York.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom