-38 degrees in Craig

Cohntr62

I saw a weather report that said it was -38 degrees in Craig yesterday. Is that a problem for the wildlife? Does anyone know how the winter has been for the game in NW Colorado so far this year?

Yes it was that cold, -41 today.
The biggest problem is we got 30 inches of snow in the winter ground in December and then the rain came and then got below zero so the snow crusted up and is making it very difficult for the wildlife to get to the feed under the snow, and in some areas there is a lot of competition with livestock so the DOW is putting out feed for the wildlife to pull them away from livestock.

We are definitely seeing a repeat of the 07-08 winter and we will lose a fair amount of critters this winter and spring, how much exactly who knows but it will definitely have an impact on next falls hunting and overall herd numbers which is always a question of how much wildlife is there exactly.

cjoutfitters.com

>We are definitely seeing a repeat
>of the 07-08 winter and
>we will lose a fair
>amount of critters this winter
>and spring, how much exactly
>who knows but it will
>definitely have an impact on
>next falls hunting and overall
>herd numbers which is always
>a question of how much
>wildlife is there exactly.
>
>cjoutfitters.com

and one wonders how much DOW will downplay the winter kill numbers.
Thought I saw some -60ish temps down in SW part of the state.

Around Rangely its been bitter cold too but in the lower elevations on the winter grounds the snow cover ain't to bad. What we have noticed though is the number of animals in the wintering grounds is down when compared to winters past. Even in town the numbers are lower. That goes for north, south, and east of town. You don't have to head to far up in elevation though and the amount of snow increases quickly. The wind we had the other day made the snow real hard and will make it tough on the critters forcing them to move to other grounds but the best grounds are filled with flocks of sheep. Supposed to start warming up by this weekend but they are also forcasting snow. I don't think the blast of cold we got earlier this winter did much of anything to the animals and this last bout of cold hasn't been to extended with little snow on the south facing slopes will have much affect either. I think all in all the animals are in good shape for now.

one of my nephews haul out a truckload of silage yesterday to a herd of about 70 Whitetail deer up in the Dakotas. The -30 cold will lay a hurting on them and everything else.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

In Rangley, is that small elk herd just east and north of town on private land still there? They were on a river property.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom