6 Yotes down in 2 days

jarheadhunter

LAST EDITED ON Jan-17-12 AT 12:23PM (MST)[p]I headed up to Oregon this last weekend with a buddy to enter a contest up there. I have never been up there, but my buddy has been a few times. We ended up killing 4 yotes the first day and 2 the second. We took 4th place and that payed as good as 20th(nothing). Should of had 2 more, but anyone that says they never miss is either a liar or don't hunt much.

The winning team was a couple local guys and one of them was the local Government hunter for the area. They had 14 coyotes most of which were spotlighted at night. You can spotlight on private property there so we missed out on that. The second place team had 10 and was from nothern Cali. and had done the contest 5 out of the 6 years they have had it and also spotlighted. The 3rd place team was 2 other local guys that have also placed in the past and had 9 yotes.

This is where we made our first stand. We layed on top of the horse trailer. We had one come in at a min or two and I smoked him at 45 yds.

3807oregon4.jpg

The second stand we had a coyote come in behind us and we didn't see it until we were getting up to leave I rushed a 200 yd shot and missed.
The next coyote we were setup by a cinder pit and overlooking a big sagebrush valley. I had the call about 10 ft to my left. At about 5 min I hear something coming towards the call. A big male comes right up to the call turns and runs. I stood up and shot him at about 35 yds going up a little side hill next to us.

The next yote we were calling the same valley, but about 1/4 mile down the hillside and I hear noise behind me. I stand up turn around and shoot and miss my partner shoots once and misses and then on my second shot at about 50 yds I hit her.

We had 3 coyotes by 10:15am and didn't get the last one of the day until about 4 pm. We set up on a frozen pond that was about 200 yds across and covered by tall sage. I start calling and about 5 min into the call the biggest yote we checked in walks out of the sage straight across from us.

481oregon1.jpg

The coyote crosses about 20 yds of ice then goes behind a little finger that you can see on the right of the pic. I get ready and as soon as he gets to the top he stops facing right towards us. I put one right in his chest and he didn't move.

As he lay.

7407oregon6.jpg

The last thing he saw. You can see our truck in the background it wasn't there when we were calling my buddy had just pulled it up. We were pretty much set up just below where the truck is along the edge of the sage.

5087oregon5.jpg

Four coyotes for the day.

7240oregon3.jpg

Day 2 was rough and we only put down 2 more. I called in a double on my second stand and was only able to get one of them. He came in to about 10 ft and I punched him in the side as he was making his way to the call.

A lot of blank stands later and about time to get ready to go check in we finally had another coyote respond. We set up so my partner was watching one way and me the other. I hadn't played the call for 30 seconds and had this hard charging female come and stop about 10 ft behind the call. I put one right in her chest and she dropped. You can see the call and the coyote in the background.

3538oregon2.jpg

Thanks for reading

jarheadhunter... Way to Slam'em!! Finally some good reading and great pictures!! I am still at Zero for the season at five trips out now, I am going to go back to my hand calls on the next trip out, I think all the Song dogs are just electronic call shy now out in my favorite spots.. so back to basics. in a few weeks the Yotes should start changing gears and looking for a mate and the game will change again. Keep on adding to the PILE! and keep the great narratives and pics coming!

Hunting is Life...everything else is
Just details.
Ol' Buzztail...

Thanks OLBUZZTAIL. It was a good time. I tried using a hand call a few times and always came up blank. So I would switch to the Foxpro and whamo coyote comming in hot. Good luck to you and I'm sure you will put some fur down soon.

There's a shoot here in Redding starting Fri Jan 27th @ 4 pm to Sun @ nooner. If anyone's interested, its Don @ 530-722-7413. Proceeds go to Shane's Way (helps young adults with life threatening illnesses & injuries).

If its wet here, I think the trick would be head up into the snow. These dogs don't like that rain!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom