61 elk first rifle season

CABugle

I have been trying to get as much info about my hunt as possible, such as contacting past hunters who have had this tag as well as leaving a message for the biologist. I just realized that I have not asked any of you with past expierience about the hunt.

I am in my mid 30's and am in good shape, however I may be doing this hunt solo, so are there any meat packers in the area? If it is hot I don't want the meat to spoil. Should I expect to see several bulls a day? Will most bulls be in the oak brush that time of the year? How vocal are the bulls this time of the year( I know this varies year to year )? Do most people camp on Divide road?

Anyone have any pictures of bulls taken in the past?
Thanks for any help you can provide. Hopfully I help you out in the future.

CABugle

Congratulations! I have been putting in for that hunt and didn't draw it again. I have 11 points now as a resident! It's crazy. That is an awesome hunt.

First of all I read about someone advertising a pack out service. His name on MM is "dominguez". His family ranches on the Uncompahgre. I read it another post that they run a pack out service. Don't know anymore details beyond that.

You will see several to lots of bulls per day. Please don't shoot the first 300" bull you see in your scope! It's too easy to see a nice 6 point with some dink bulls and pull that trigger. There are some great bulls in that unit but you will have to look for them. Sounds like you are in shape and can handle the terrain. There are parts of 61 that are pretty rugged. Best advice I can give you is to hunt the canyons. Don't be afraid to go deep. The bulls will be in all of the terrin but the oak brush always holds lots of elk. Went scouting there a week ago and saw bulls in timber, aspen and oak brush.

Not all people camp on the Divide Road. Plenty do but you will also find camps off of most of the major roads.

I am taking a friend from Texas to 61 for a 1st season cow, so I will be in the area if you are in bind getting meat out. PM me if you would like to discuss specific hunting sites. Best of luck to you!

Fulldraw, thank you very much. Once I get back home and am able to look at my maps(middle of next week) I will send you a PM.

Thanks, CABugle

I do have a game pack out service in units 61 and 62.Thanks for the advertisement fulldraw.I have a web site that has a few bulls from that unit.lodging also.feel free to contact me. dominguez

Good luck CaBugle. I now have 17 NR points and hoping for a draw next year.

Before you die.....Take time to live

Hey Magicman. Are you sending for the muzzle tag? I have 18 pts and the pt creep is tough-abought to bail for the rifle gig
Riggo

Good luck on your hunt. Sounds like a great unit for number of elk. Maybe not a trophey unit, but those three or four units in the north west corner are units that most of us would never draw before we die with the limited number of tags drawn each year and the amount of points and people in the chase for tem tags.

I hope to hunt 61 in the next few years and enjoy the outing, hunt and hopefully the number of bulls in the unit. Hell, I've only killed a hand full of bulls and only one that was a mature bull over 300. I guess a 320-335 bull would make me happy if it is a quility hunt that is enjoyable. That's just me and I know alot of people say a 320-335 bull is nothing, but I'm not sure they wouldn't hunt a unit like 61!!!

Riggo, I have turned 68 years old and with only 17 PP, I can never draw a ML tag. It is beginning to look like I can never draw a 1st rifle bull either. I may bail out next year for a 2nd.

Magicman,

Keep in mind that a year ago CDOW moved back the rifle seasons by a week. I think that makes 1st season a little less attractive than it used to be.

Yup, that is right. I'm struggling with the idea of either "chancing not drawing next year 1st season", or "making a move for the longer 2nd season".

I'll be back in 62 for the 2nd season this year.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-17-11 AT 08:16PM (MST)[p]This is my dads unit 61 bull from 2009 muzzy hunt

3134elk.jpg

He saw several 320 and lots of elk every day, and lots of bugling.

Good luck on your hunt

1st season is a tough hunt. The bigger bulls will be in the heavy pinyon and sage country or in the oak jungle rugged canyons. Walking around you won't see anything. Best bet is to find an opening in the oak or pinyon and watch it all week long. Don't know the water situation but if it is dry you could set up a stand over water. Buy a bear tag if there's any left. Good luck in your hunt. Great bulls in the area.

I've never hunted the unit but heard it should be a good hunt. Go to youtube.com and type in colorado unit 61. There is a video of a guy hunting elk 1st season along with some other hunts might give you an idea of what the terrain looks like! Good luck hope you have a great hunt dont 4get to post some pics!!!!

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom