66 1st Rifle vs 2nd Rifle for Elk

Joe2Kool

Very Active Member
What's the difference between 66-1R vs 66-2R for elk? Is it a summer ground and weather pushes them out? Any good reason to apply for one over the other?

I noticed the ML hunt took 20 points to draw last year. 1R took 5 points and 2R took 3 points. I have 5 NR points, and my hunting buddy has 6. Which means we have 5 in the draw, correct?

We're thinking about applying for 2R with a good chance of getting drawn instead of applying for 1R with a lot of hope and luck. I also have 11 deer points and thinking about burning them in 66 next year. Hoping to hunt it twice. Obviously learning the area the first time, and setting up for better odds the second time.

Thanks.

That sounds like a good plan. Hunt 2nd season elk this year and go back for deer next year. To answer your question, 1st season is shorter, but you get first crack at them. You also have fewer people in the field. I haven't noticed a big difference in success rates or number of animals seen between 1st and 2nd seasons. The elk seem to be scattered across the unit during both seasons.

1st rifle season is at the tail end of the rut. The elk are still bugling and can be easier to find. The biggest herd bulls may or may not still be with the cows. The satellite bulls will still be very active chasing the cows. The first rifle season can be almost as much fun as ML season, although there are MANY more hunters out there. The second season is very different, even more hunters and the elk are spooky and the bulls are probably not with cows.

Just remember everything will require more points this year

Yep. That's why we're considering applying for 2R. Took 3 points to draw last year, and with us having 5, much better odds. 1R took 5. Well, actually took 6. Only about 5% of 5 point holders drew.

Thanks.

Personally, I would do deer 1st. You can learn a lot about the lay of the unit. Roads, access. And see plenty of animals. Probably see a few elk. I would draw 1st rifle before 2nd, if you don't know the area or have help. Finding big bulls after they leave the ladies takes luck, or lots of experience with post rut , or a good knowledge of how they behave in that area. Classic western country, my favorite place to be.

Personally, I would do deer 1st. You can learn a lot about the lay of the unit. Roads, access. And see plenty of animals. Probably see a few elk. I would draw 1st rifle before 2nd, if you don't know the area or have help. Finding big bulls after they leave the ladies takes luck, or lots of experience with post rut , or a good knowledge of how they behave in that area. Classic western country, my favorite place to be.

Given the number of points the deer tag takes vs the elk tag, I think his logic is sound. I did the same thing the last few years, hunted 67 elk 3rd season in 2022 and scouted for 2023 3rd season deer tag.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom