Acts of Unselfishness in the woods

B

BlueGoat

A friend of mine noticed an out of state truck broken down on the mountain. He talked with the owner and agreed that when he returned the next weekend he would bring the parts and tools to make the repair. He also left his four wheeler with him so he had transportation. The non-resident hunted all week and on Friday my friend helped him change out the glow plugs on his diesel truck.

Another time, while on my first turkey hunt. I was having trouble calling the birds. When I got back to the road a sportsman who had been listening to me calling asked to see my call. He gave it a tune-up and me a lesson in a very tasteful manner. I have called in many birds since then.

After witnessing these acts of kindness I try to figure out how to help someone or at least pick up some trash while I'm in the woods.

Would enjoy hearing about acts of unselfishness you have witnessed or heard about.

On New Years Day 2008 we were out for the traditional rabbit hunt in Northern Utah. After the regualr 2 rabbit day, we had a truck roll up and ask us if any one of us had any tools because their "air plane" was broke down. Everybody that had tools lied and said that they didn't but I always kept a kit of the standard "If my chevy breaks down" tools with me and I gave it to the man. He said that the pilot would fly over and tip his wing to us after repairs were made.

Now after 30 minutes of being laughed at and scorned by everyone saying that i should just kiss those tools good bye, etc. I began feeling as if I really shouldn't have trusted them so openly.

As we were shooting clays I thought I could hear the low grumble of an air plane and low and behold the little bush plane came screamiong over the ridge top tipping his wing to us. An hour later the people came back and returned my tools.

I know I learned a big lesson that day. 1st, never take a plane rabbit hunting haha, but really, as long as my heart is in the right place and I'm doing whats right it doesn't matter what the other person does.

It was a big bodied 2 point.

Being a brother outdoorsmen and helping others with troubles ether resident or nonresident, shouldn't have to be talked about or encouraged...it just happens, it always has.

Unfortunately, many in some States or some groups never got or couldn't read the memo! Sad!!

Joey

Yrs. ago, on a backroad in Elko Co. I was heading for a rendezvous with family in Winnemucca,NV. I was driving a road that, given early spring and wet, muddy conditions I shouldn't have been on. I had my two small children along, and was about 35 miles from nearest paved road or services, when I had a flat tire, and when I went to install the spare, found it was flat,too! Given that time of year, it might have been hours, even days I thought for someone to happen along. I was driving a Ford Bronco, and after a few hours another vehicle came along...a Ford! Although the driver was heading in the opposite direction, we mounted his spare, and he followed me into Winnemucca, where I was able to make necessary tire repairs to my vehicle. This good samaritan would have none of me offering to pay for the help, buy a meal, at least pay for gas,etc. His only advice: "Pay it forward!" I have never forgotten his kindness, and have been able to pay back this debt of gratitude many times over.

One two separate occasions I have saved someone from drowning...does that count? lol

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:
The poster does not take any responsibility for any hurt or bad feelings. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster would like to remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.

I would expect nothing less of sportsmen coming to the aid and comfort of our fellow brethren in need.

Eldorado

Well!

I have many Friends across the United States!

But I'm gonna Honor PleaseDear & Bar None!

PleaseDear has Invited me on countless occasions to stop by his Elk Camp/camping trips/fishing Trips!

Finally made it this last Fall & spent the afternoon with PleaseDear,Preddy,MsPleaseDear & Friends!

PleaseDear has offered me Information on his TOP SECRET Elk HONEY HOLES but I have MAJOR Respect for him & I turned him down,just because I have RESPECT for this Guy,It was a hard thing for me to do,trying nicely and respectfully that I didn't feel right about it!

If you ever get in any kind of Bind PleaseDear you don't even hesitate,You call the ole cat!

For GAWDS Sakes Guys,We Got Kids on this Site,Some of them are 65 years Old!:D

I don't care if they're big or small!
If they throw lead I like em all!
:p

LAST EDITED ON May-20-11 AT 06:51AM (MST)[p] I'VE BEEN IN A FIX A TIME OR TWO, AND GOT HELP FROM A COUPLE OF WYOMING BOYS. COULD NOT THANK THEM ENUFF.....GREAT GUYS. WEATHER ITS A STUCK IN THE MUD, WONT START, INJURY, OR NEED HELP GETTIN A ANIMAL OUT.......I ALWAYS TRY TO HELP....WOULD FEEL BAD IF I DID NOT HELP.......LEND A HAND...........YD.

While returning from a deer hunting trip to Kansas (from Indiana) my camper bearings burned up, roasting the axle red hot. Middle of nowhere. A local flagged me down and invited me to his home to talk about options. I needed to order a new axle which would take a week or two. He had me leave the camper in his yard, and sent me home. I ordered the axle to be shipped to his home. He got it and installed it himself, and did not want to charge me! I ended up forcing him to take $200 or something. Couple weeks later make a return trip to pick it up.

Cool Thread BlueGoat-

In about 1995, my dad and I drove up to Monte Cristo for an evening of archery elk hunting. We were driving along and suddenly spotted a herd of about 13 cow elk moving across an open sage area about half a mile away. We started watchin in the binos, and sure enough, a huge 6x6 came out behind them. We immediately jumped out of the truck and started hoofin it to get in front of them. Once we got inot what we thought was good position, we made some calls and could hear the elk, but unfortunately, they didn't come by us.
As the light began to fade, we walked directly back to the road. There was a friendly gentleman and his wife camped there, and he told us all our callin made him think a herd was comin right at his camp..! He was a fun, animated old guy. We bid them good night and started back along the road to the truck, now about a mile away.
When we arrived, my dad looked in the driver's window, and wouldn't you know it- there were his keys right there on the seat. We were locked out. It was late so we tried picking the lock on the old Chev- no luck. Sometime after 10pm we decided we needed a hanger or somethiing, so we walked back to the old couple's camp and called out to them. they had gone to bed, but the old guy got up, found a hanger, drove us back to our truck and waited while we jimmied the lock.

That old guy saved us from a cold, uncomforatble night in the back of the truck...!!

For my part- On two separate occasions back in the woods, I have come across little pickups stuck in the mud, or high centered. I was able to get both of them out of trouble with my jeep and get them on their way...

"Therefore, wo be unto him that is at ease in Zion!" 2 Ne. 28: 24

On the flipside Bess.....It seems that when old Woodruff sent out the call for help finding his wifes bull back in November you drove a couple hours through a whiteout blizzard, in the middle of the night no less, to be there to help! That's sayin' something!

LAST EDITED ON May-20-11 AT 10:52AM (MST)[p]A few years ago, my buddy was hunting in his usual area. There was a group from Utah that camped near by. My buddy gave them advise about the area as it was their first trip there. A couple of days after the hunt started, my buddy made his way back to his camp only to find all his gear stolen and the Utah group all packed up and gone.

How's that for the brotherhood outdoorsman ?

The previous year, this same buddy of mine directed an out of state hunter to a 180" buck he passed on a day earlier. The hunter made a great shot and was the happiest hunter I've seen. I thought he would be ahead in the karma game but I guess we were wrong.

When i was 16 my old man broke his leg while helping me pack out my mountain goat, I did the nice thing and ran back to the truck (well i hurried). got search and rescue and then met a helicopter at the airport for quicker ride where i then escourted some medics to him to help him. The helicopter returned at first light and dropped us the rope and basket where we loaded him up and flew him to the hospital. All is well now and hopefully if i ever snap a leg bone someone will get me help to. (kept the story short as I have to get back to work) Find the horn Goose!

Many years ago I shot a buck on the Kaibab during archery season late in the day. We started to track it about dark and found out that our flashlights were not working. Our camp was about an hour drive away from where we were hunting, so it was going to be a long night. As we were driving back to camp we came across a new CJ7 that appeared to have rolled off the road. We stopped and saw 2 guys who were setting up a tent for the night who had rolled the jeep. We stopped to make sure they were okay and did not need anything. After helping them get there tent and "camp" in order, and making sure everythng was okay and confirming that they had already made arrangements to have a tow truck come the next morning, as we were getting ready to leave, they offered us their flashlights to use so we would not have to drive to our camp. I always thought that was a very thoughtful act of them, in light of the issues they were dealing with having just rolled their Jeep.

I told this true story a couple years ago here in these pages but i think that it is so remarkable, i'll tell it again, be it a short version.

3 hunting buds and i were without a 4 wheel drive vehicle, our transmission went out, the day before the Muley opener in Meeker Co. We were inside the Meeker Hotel wondering how we were even gonna get out of town in our other rig, a 2 wheel drive, with all the fresh snow on the ground.

A old guy next to us pardoned himself and asked if he had heard correctly, that we were without a hunting vehicle? I told him of our predicament and he then offered me/us the use of his Willy's Jeep for as long as our truck was at the shop in Grand Junction. He meant it too and wanted or would take no money in return.

That ol boy was part of a old time outfitter family back in the day. Sounded like he came from a large family but i imagine that he's long gone now yet still has relatives in that part of Colorado. His name was, i'll never forget and i'm bad at names, Roy Sanderson! Bless you Roy, Thank You again, and may you rest in peace!!

Joey

Several years ago a buddy and I were headed to antelope hunt in NM and came across a older gentleman and his wife that were pulling a camper and having vehicle trouble.i stopped and their tranny was overheating so I hooked on to their camper and pulled it to the next town which happened to be where they were going to stay.Even though I have never been offered a ride when I ran out of gas or broke down I still try to help when I can.

LAST EDITED ON May-20-11 AT 09:55PM (MST)[p]I have received as much as I have given! I always try to help out because Good Karma pays great dividends! And, its a hunters responsibility as well....

Several years ago, when I thought I could actually kill an elk with a bow, I turned of to the Temple Road turn off in Logan Canyon. I remember it was HOT, probably in the 80's.....

And, it was several miles away from any phone!!! I turn off and this guy walks up to me and said his motor went out. I started to tell him I was hunting for the evening and he would have to wait. Fortunately, I changed my mind.

When I got to his vehicle, out came his wife and some little kids. Besides that, his wife was expecting-SOON!!

I felt like a complete idiot for even thinking about hunting instead of helping him out. I gave him a ride out of the canyon and after that experience, I would never ever let hunt time replace helping someone out.

I have had some great help by other hunter- Many of them are on this site- B-Bop, Pleasedear, stinkystomper, AWHOLELOTTABULL, rutnbck, and others.

I have also helped others on here as well. I enjoy helping on the LE hunts. Especially, when they don't know the area very well. I would hate someone to have a bad experience on a LE hunt!!

As I am getting older, I am almost as happy just going on the hunt as I am being the trigger man!!

Now, as far as B_POP goes, those of you who critisize him, know nothing about him! If it was not for him and Rut (Kelly), my wife would have NEVER killed her bull! Read the link, and you will see how good friends and fellow hunters helped my wife have a hunt of a lifetime:
http://www.monstermuleys.info/dcforum/DCForumID12/12761.html

LAST EDITED ON May-20-11 AT 10:45PM (MST)[p]Couple years ago I was hunting elk with a "friend". Came across a male and female broke down in a new truck and they only requested a cell phone to call someone. My "friend" would not let them use his phone because he had "personal stuff" on it (he told them he did not have a phone). I myself did not have a phone. Privately I argued with him about letting them use the phone which he would not do. ultimately I took them to town.

I dont know for sure but I firmly believe the man was Huey Lewis.

I was driving down the freeway heading to a wedding reception (sorry, it would be better if I was heading hunting). We past a van with about 6 ladies and kids standing around. Something told me to stop. I had to back up a couple hundred yards. When I got there they were in the process of trying to change a flat tire. They had removed all the lug nuts and were just crawling under the van to place the jack somewhere. Talk about feeling the old cold chills go up my neck. Not sure if I saved someone serious injury or not but was glad I stopped.

Went to a viewing a few years ago down in Richfield. A lady walked up to me and said, "Thank You for saving my life". I said you're welcome but what did I do? She said, "You were the one who dove into Fishlake some 35 years ago and pulled me out." When I was a teenager, my friend and I had ridden our motorcycles up to Fishlake. It was early evening and we decided to walk around the Bowry Haven boat dock. As we were standing there we heard a small"splunk". I looked in the direction the sound had come from and just figured part of the bank had given way. About a minute later I looked out into the bay and noticed a little baby shoe pop up out of the water and then disappear. It was just one of those things you don't even think about. Before I knew it I had dove in the water. I will never forget swimming down and there was this little baby with her eyes still open like she was just looking at me. I grabbed her and swam to shore, then handed her to my friend. We started mouth to mouth and fortunately she came back around very quickly. The parents were fishing on the other side of the berm and didn't notice her toddling away. Someone at the viewing must have remembered me and told this lady who I was. Those are the feel good moments that make life worth while.

LAST EDITED ON May-21-11 AT 09:41AM (MST)[p]Deerbedead, conch and other MM's put me on my Pauns buck two years ago. Told me exactly where to go and what to expect.

Cannonball took me to all his good spots in southern Utah 35 years ago and he has still taken care of me every year since. Hope he and his sidekick kill monsters again this year.

An old guy from Richfield, took me under his wing in 1984 and has taken me on more hunts that I can begin to remember.

WholeLot, BeBop, Ropeit, and many others on MM have helped me in ways know one will ever know about.

I've been pulled out of more ditches, dug out of more snow banks, rescued from long cold nights in the open, warmed by more campfires, hauled home, called home, lied for, by more good friends and total strangers than I can ever repay if I try every day for the rest of my life. The greatest lesson I've ever learned is this: "you can never spray perfume on someone without gett'en it all over yourself".

I believe, if you want to be happy and like what you see in the mirror, do something good for someone else, the rewards are instant and worth more the all the gold in California.

Thanks for reminding me, I'll have better day today!

DC

I stopped at the ATM to get some cash.

There was an Arab looking guy with a turbin, crutches and an arm in a sling, fumbling with the machine.
He asked me if I would help him check his balance......so I pushed him over.

It is only right to help your fellow man.

"whackin' a surly bartender ain't much of a crime"

I can't think of a time when ANYONE who has done an act of service hasn't felt good about it afterwards. The reason for that is because when you're serving your fellow man... you're serving/helping God. You just might be the answer to that person's prayer... their miracle they were hoping for. Never take that for granted! It may be you (on the receiving end) some day...

EG

campfire2.gif
"A man can be hard to find in the mountains, but you're welcome at my fire anytime."

Back in 2006 my son Jacob was with me, and a buddy. We were hunting when we saw a herd of elk go by. One was wounded. Well we went to where the bull bedded and waited for someone to show up. After hours went by a truck came. He said he was looking for an elk but NOT the elk we saw. He hadn't shot at anything. So we told him about the bull and he said he might know who shot it. He asked how long it had been and then he said lets go check and see if it is dead. If it was he would go find the other guys. If it was alive he said he was going to shoot it. Well we go down there and we show him where it was. The bull runs and he shoots. Well the bull swims out in the lake and dies. This guy was big and could not swim in the 40 degree water. So my son says I can swim out there so fast I won't even get wet. Then the guy said if you do I have a 100.00 dollar bill in the truck for you. He stripped faster than a 2 dollar call girl. He swam out and put a rope on the bull and we pulled them both back. After we got them on land the guy had never gutted an elk. So we helped him gut it and load it up. After it was over two guys show up and said we have been watching you load OUR bull. I told them I saw Casey shoot the bull. Then I told them to go get a CO. I also gave my name and told him to tell the CO I was there. They left and never came back. The next year those same guys tried to steal my son's elk but that is another story. Casey gave Jacob the 100.00 and Jacob bought a leatherman combo tool to remember it by. Ron

The floating bull.
2250Mormon_elk_1_1.jpg

Jacob at the bull.
2250Mormon_elk_2_1.jpg

Coming ashore.
2250Mormon_elk_5_1.jpg

Almost in.
2250Mormon_elk_6_1.jpg

Packing out a bull naked.
2250Mormon_elk_7_1.jpg

i have lost count how many times we find horses. so we take them home and feed them and water them and leave notes on the trucks and traliers in the area and get phone calls saying its there horse and we just ask for papers for the horse to prove its theres.

people have offered to give us lots of money for our good deed, we just reply if you find my horse you do the same act.

years and years ago my dad packed out 2 cow elk for jim zumbo, back then my dad didnt know who he was, jim was on foot so my dad packed them out and didnt even get a thank you. next time he can pack them out 10 miles by himself.

good thread.. I have been on the recieving end of kindness, and I have giving alot of help also.. I just wish I could tell which ones appreciate it.. and ones that just leave without a thank you..

One year coming down a switchback between Colbran and Silt we slid our trailer and truck off the edge and were basically teetering on the center of the trailer axle. Other rigs started stacking up behind us but just talked amongst themselves and never once offered to help. After a few minutes a gentleman delivering some kind of industrial hose stopped without hesitation and helped us out of our predicament. He wouldn't accept a dime and just told us to do the same if he was ever in our neck of the woods. Another time we got a flat on our trailer at about 3:00 A.M. in eastern Colorado. We put the spare on and after looking at the flat and the tire that remained we realized we were grossly overloaded. At the next truck stop the attendant made a call and after 20 minutes a man pulls up in a service truck, grabs the tire and said he would be back shortly. He came back with a new spare mounted on the rim and wouldnt accept a dime! Theres some damn good people out there!

"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free... it expects what never has and never will be." -Thomas Jefferson

Good thread. Sometimes it is easy in life to become cynical and look only for the bad which creates somewhat of a self fulfilling prophecy. If we take the time to step back and look at what good we have done, as well as the good we have received, it changes the big picture a little bit. And it's never a bad idea to give props when they are do.
4abc76ff29b26fc1.jpg

about 5 years ago ran into a couple of guys heading up to pack in on an archery Elk hunt...but they forgot their bits and bridles....I said no problem, turn around and follow me we got tons of tack you can borrow...two weeks went by and the bridles were setting on the porch with a note saying thanks and they didn't kill any Elk..

A couple of years ago me and the Mrs. took our 2 oldest girls to Wyoming after some "land rockets". On our 7 hour journey there we had a flat on our trailer just outside of Green River. We took the tire off and put on the spare and proceeded. Not 15 mintues down the road one of the other tires blew out. Now we had no spare so we put the trailer on the jack and took the 2 flats into Green River to get fixed. On the way back I had a blowout on the truck. Now I was really screwed. My truck jack was on the trailer about 10 miles down the road. I turned to my trusty handyman that is NOT made for changing tires on the side of the freeway. I had the truck jacked up when it decided to shift. The handle of the handyman came up and damn near ripped my nipple off. PAIN! A lot of PAIN! BY this time my nerves were frazzled, my wife just wanted to get it fixed and turn around and head home. Bad omen, she said. As I was feeling really sorry for myself, a guy pulled up in an old beat up truck and asked if I needed some help. He had a jack and we got the truck tire changed and by the end of the day, all is well. I swore from that day on I would never pass a person on the side of the road that looked like they needed help. I have been helped and had the opportunity to help many out on the mountain. It tends to restore some lost confidence in humanity at times. There are some really good people out there.

It's always an adventure!!!

during the summer I carry a 55 gallon drum in the back of the truck full of water and stop and give out water to guys who overheat coming up the cajon pass. I have been helped the same way a few times so I know how welcome it is to have a person stop and help. Just "PASS IT ON"

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

Just last Friday we were leaving Petersburg, AK we met some guys from Utah bear hunting and they had torn out the bottom end of there outboard (rental). Parts were on the way but it was going to take awhile to get there. We gave them our personal boat so they could finish there hunt. Hope they got there bears.
Rick

I think 2Lumpy said it well. I have helped strangers and lost days hunting doing it. I have had others go out of their way to help me. That is the way life should run, but many are too competitive to see it. A grateful recipient of help makes the experience even better.

-------------------------
www.sagebasin.com
-------------------------

I was in Wyoming a couple years ago on a deer hunt. A guy we had talked to earlier in the week had lost one of his horses.

This week we were hunting the weather was horrible, snowed every day. Me and my buddy were getting our horses ready to head out to hunt when he asked if we had seen it? This was the first afternoon the sun was out and it looked promising.

We made the decision to ride with him and help find his horse. We rode until dark with no luck. The next morning his horses was found via some other hunters in the area that provided the location. I was happy to help and would do it again.

I was on an elk hunt with my dad, when we came across a guy stuck in a mud hole with a horse trailer on and his fuel pump burned up. We offered to help and did what we could for him and he was very thankful. Three days later I shot a spike 2 miles from the truck. We started to drag the hind quarters, when a guy on a horse came around the corner on the trail we were on and wouldnt you know it, it was him. He said since we helped him he would help us. we put the hind quarters up on the horse and saved are backs. I think what comes around goes around. Sometimes it might not feel like its that way, but some day it will all even out.
I have lost track of how many duck hunters I have saved in the marsh, from out of gas, being stuck, broken down, lost in a whiteout and need a ride in the boat. The list is long.

Travis, I was just lurking around mm and seen this post. It was awefully familiar to me because I was one of the ones in the plane. We had been coyote hunting and ran into trouble. Your tools were the difference between us getting out of there or waiting forever for the pilots dad to come help us. I/we very much apreciated your kindness and even though it was a phone or two ago I kept your number for a while cause it seems like we were gonna try to give you some ideas for places to hunt or something. Long tory short thanks for helping out. Hopefully carma has been good to you. Layne

This is an act a good friend and hunting buddy of mine did last Oct 4, 2010 in the Grey's River. My buddy is Royce McRae. He and Eric another friend was hunting deer in Region G. They were in a good area at first light. They had their spotting scope on a really nice buck. Royce told Eric he should shoot the buck, and Eric told Royce to shoot it. They were watching and deciding what to do. They heard some horses coming up the trail. They moved away from the scope. They talked to the hunters for a few minutes. These hunters were from Star Valley. After talking for a few minutes, they found out that the 19 yr old guy was leaving to serve a church mission in a week or two. Royce knew he wouldn't get to hunt for two years. Royce got an idea. He told the 19 year old, to come and look in his spotting scope. The boy saw the big buck. Royce told him, he could shoot it, if he wanted to. Royce even told him, how he would go about doing it. Royce and Eric, watched as this kid was successful. Royce went and helped the boy cape out the deer, and bone out the meat. Royce talked about his mission, and the great experiences he had.

Royce and Eric went hunting after. When they were walking back to camp, they ran into this same group of hunters. The horse that was packing out the deer meat and head was having some troubles. Royce un-packed his pack, put the boned out meat in his pack, and carried it down the trail, to their cabin. The dad was amazed at the service Royce and Eric offered to his boy. They visited with each other for a couple hours, and had a great time. These new friends told Royce and Eric that they should stay in their cabin. They were in a wall tent. They told them, they had to go back home, but could use their cabin for the next few days.

Eric told me, that they had a great day of hunting Oct 5th. Elk were bugeling, great weather. After a great day of hunting, they were in their new friends cabin. It was about 8 PM. Royce told Eric, that he wasn't feeling well, he needed some fresh air. They stepped out of their new friends cabin, (which is named Dead Man's Cabin.) Royce collapsed, and died instantly from an Aortic Aneurysm. Royce was just 38 years old. He was in great shape. He has 5 kids. Ages 13 to 2. Royce and Eric kindness paid off. They had a cabin to stay in. The owners of the cabin are in the mortuary business. The cabin's owners, brother prepared Royce's body. There were many other tender mercies that provided comfort to Royce and his family and friends. I still have Royce's cell number in my phone. I can't delete it. This is a tribute to Royce and Eric, who always helps others in need. Who both are very unselfish.

It is Memorial Day weekend coming up. I'm grateful for the many lessons I have been taught from Royce. I know someday we will see our loved ones who have passed on again. I know Royce was friends to many who frequent this site. This is a small tribute to Royce. This is a hard weekend to some.

Dang huntin, that is an amazing story. Thanks for sharing it, its a fitting story for a fitting weekend to help us remember all the great ones that have gone on to their eternal reward. We'd all be in a better place if we could be more like Royce, for sure.

DC

elk hunt 89' after climbing 3 hours to get to the saddle, i began to daydream of my wife at the time, did this for hours waiting for the elk saw nothing. then i saw a hunter approach it was a lovely lady with long brown hair and brown eyes. she said i looked flush and asked why. after some small talk
she gave me a " helping hand " great hunt........and total b.s.
but i did see the lady but she saw me and ran down the ridge

beav, I was just wondering, have you ever been accused of mood altering behaviors, within your relationships? ;-)

DC

In CO two years ago we had taken a bull. The next day we took it to town to the meat cutter but still had half an hour before he opened so ran farther into town to the store to pick up some supplies. We come out of the store and the truck won't start. While working on it an older gentleman walks over and asks if we are having problems. We explain the situtaion and he tells my dad to hop in his car and takes him over to a local mechanic. Mechanic says no problem he'll come get my truck in a couple of hours. In the meantime I am starting to get concerned because the elk is laying in the back of my truck. The older gentleman says no problem, he'll run home, get his truck and we can load the elk in it to take it to the meat cutter. He lived 20 miles out of town, by the time he got back the mechanic had fixed my truck, bad starter solenoid, so the older gentleman's efforts were for not. He wouldn't take a dime.

Buried my truck in a bog a couple years ago in CO and a local rancher brought his CAT in to pull me out. Took him a good portion of his day to walk the CAT in to us. Paid him well for his time even though he didn't ask for it.

One of the best stories I have heard was right here a year or two ago. One of the MMr's called in a bull elk for a complete stranger then gutted it for the guy.

I shared this a couple years ago, but it is one that has burned into my memory. Dad and I hit the rifle opener in N. Utah, hunted the morning, did not see anything worth shooting, headed up the mountain, got almost to the radar towers in farmington canyon, pulled off the road to glass a steep and deep canyon and have a little lunch. I heard a faint cry for help down below me in the steep canyon, ran down there to find a 16 year old girl all beat up, broken ribs, concussion, punchtured lung. I asked her what happened, she said her and a friend rolled their truck off the road adn her friend was still down there under the truck. Long story short, dad called 911 and I hauled her to the road then headed down to the boy under the truck. We got him stabilized and search and rescue showed up, prepped him for life flight and flew him out of there. He recovered but still has memory issues....
Dad next to the truck
74192009_farmington_deer_hunt_002.jpg

medics working on the boy
24992009_farmington_deer_hunt_004.jpg

life flight dropping their line (rotor blast was amazing!)
9432009_farmington_deer_hunt_010.jpg

Was glad to be in the right place at the right time for these kids. I will do it again and again if it means being able to serve others or help someone out of a tough situation.

A friend and I put in for a southern buck hunt one year. I drew, he didn't. It was my first hunt ever. I thought for sure that he'd just say "Bummer. Well, have fun!" But being the great guy that he is, he planned my entire hunt and even brought his truck and camper along. He guided me all over the mountains in the area. On day 2 I took a little 2-point and was happy as a clam.

To top it all off, the hunt was over his birthday. He spent his birthday helping me out and making sure I had a successful hunt.

Kirt Thomas, my hat's off to you!

Hey Guys and Gals,
New to the site. Lots of great info on here. In the late 80s my dad and I were elk hunting in Oregon. We lost the 4WD in the pick up, which we desperately needed so we cut our hunt short. We were headed home through John Day and saw a pick up in a parking lot with a very large set on elk antlers in it. We decided to turn around and go look at the bull. My dad talked to the lucky hunter for a bit and he asked if we had had any luck. My dad told him no and that we were headed home because of the pick up.

The gentleman asks us to come stay at his house and he will take us out for a few days. He was not a guide, just a true gentleman who saw our hunt cut short due to mechanical problems. His wife cooked us great meals for a couple of nights and he took us out for a few days. We did not kill an elk, but that really didn't matter. That man took two complete strangers off the street and tried to get us an elk. We will forever be grateful for his generosity. Happy Hunting...

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom