Any success in the Valle Vidal ?

WapitiDave

Hello all. We are getting ready to head out on my son's youth elk tag in a couple of weeks. Was wondering if anybody had any reports they are willing to share. We were able to get out there this summer for a scouting trip, so we have a couple of ideas of where to try. Thanks for any replies. If anyone has any pics that they are willing to post that would be great to show my son. Thank you.

WD

Hope your sons hunt is a successful one. I don't have any info unfortunately but would love to hear how the hunt went. We leave 3 weeks from Friday, the g/f pulled her OIL tag on her first try. Should be an awesome hunt for you guys!!! Good Luck.

By the time the 1st rifle hunt starts Oct.17th there will already be 2 bow hunts and one muzzle loader hunt. Expect the elk to be spooked and away from the roads. It's also the end of the rut so the big bulls will probably be off by themselves. The smaller bulls will move in with the cows at this time and will probably be the ones that will be bugling. That's not to say that a big bull won't move in if a cow comes back into heat, but the bulls won't be bugling like they do in Sept. and early Oct.

I had the 2nd archery hunt and killed a nice bull and was into elk all but one evening but I was at least a mile from the road every time I got into them. It was hot and dry for my hunt so the elk weren't too far from water but we are starting to get some good rain up north so that shouldn't be an issue for the 1st rifle hunt. I'm planning on doing a post hopefully this week. I wish I could share more info but my granddaughter has the youth rifle hunt in the Valle so I will be there trying to help her get her 1st animal. I'll be camped at Cimarron campground so feel free to look us up. I'm driving a black & silver dodge ram.

I was just up there this week thurs - yesterday. went up to get my elk fix and do some fishing . Elk were going crazy to say the least . called in several and had bull rutting chasing other bulls off even with our truck in middle of the road they acted like we weren't there . we got out and hiked and called as well and that was just as good . Camped at cimmiron and had a really hard time sleeping due to tall the elk screaming all night long was truly amazing . that place is loaded with elk . saw one giant 7x7 a true giant 370 ish id say near windy gap in the hilly stuff we didnt go down toward mcrystal during elk time but there is alot of elk there too and the terrain is a lot easier. Weather rolled in yesterday rained good i cant say come sat for the muzzle hunt they will still be screaming but they were as of yesterday

Thanks for the replies. We are really getting pumped for his hunt. We plan on getting away from the roads so hopefully we'll find some elk. We're hoping there still is some bugling going on to make it easier to locate some bulls. we are planning on camping in the Cimarron camp ground also. We should have extra help for the weekend if he fills his tag early. If not do you guys know what some of those guys with horses charge to take out a quartered up bull?

talk to the camp host his name is Tom Curly nice guy said he was gona stay through the hunt and have his horses available for pack out for a fee. Getting away from roads isnt hard there is really only 2 roads through there so that isnt a problem

I spoke with Curly during my bow hunt and he said he was packing out as of Sept. 28th. The company he works for wasn't paying him beyond that. Maybe he decided to stay for awhile. If you need someone to pack and Curly isn't available try Robert Garcia 575-770-1942c or 575-586-1861h. Stay away from Gil Tafoya, he's very expensive.

Robert Ortega should be at McCrystal campground and he usually has horses there too.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom