Archery elk this year, or wait a year?

sludge

I've seen a little conversation in a few threads about the early archery dates this year versus next year's later dates (5 days later I believe). I'm sitting on 12 NR elk points and am considering trying to draw a tag this year. The draw reports indicate that I should have a pretty good chance in a few units.

My question for those with experience hunting the archery elk season. If you were in a similar position, would you apply now or wait till next year? What are your thoughts and reasons for what you would do? Interested in hearing opinions.

It can depend on the unit and the year. But a lot of times those 5 days make a huge difference. If you're set on archery you may want to wait, but remember there may be several others that do the same, which could throw draw odds a bit from the norm.

Let me add that I hunt elk for two weeks every year somewhere. The good Lord willing, I will be hunting somewhere as usual.

So I guess what I'm trying to decide is whether it's a good decision after waiting 12 years, to hunt this early of a date.

The decision really isn't whether I hunt or not..., it's whether I hunt Utah this year or next.

Me personally I would wait another year. if you are lucky the bulls will start rutting hard around the 8th. There will be bugling before then but it will only get better later in the month. I did shoot my Utah bull on Sept 10th 2 years ago and he was rutting pretty good but the 5 extra days can make a big difference. That week I went from having a hard time calling in vocal bulls early in the week to calling in multiple bulls a day by the end of the week. I have a some buddies that could draw this year but are choosing not to, and I have others that are going to draw out anyways. The thing with archery though, is you never know when everything is going to fall together just right for you, it could be early or it could be late. My biggest bull was shot Aug 31st but I didn't call him in, I was able to sneak into range of him and he was with about 6 cows.

I'd wait another year... 5 days makes a difference. And out-of-state, after 13 years now... I'd wait until the situation was optimal. And this year I don't think its optimal...

"Therefore, wo be unto him that is at ease in Zion!" 2 Ne. 28: 24

I would wait....but...I would not just put in for a point. If you want to wait, put in for one of the harder to draw units like San Juan. If you draw, it will still be worth the loss of those extra back end days.

It's a tough decision. From year to year, I have noticed so much variance. I had a archery bull tag in 2009 when the hunt dates were August 15 - September 11. Starting September 5th the rut really came on strong and I had the best four days of elk hunting that I have ever experienced. I killed on Tuesday the 8th. Last year I hunted with friends during the archery, rifle, and muzzleloader seasons, and we didn't get into heavy rutting activity until the muzzleloader hunt. So, it's a tough call. I think it also has something to do with being in the right place at the right time. I have often been in one canyon in the morning experiencing no rutting activity and then moved to another canyon in the evening to find the elk going off. If you have a lot of points built up, it might be best to wait. But, I would lean towards hunting. I personally feel that the first ten days of the archery hunt are very underrated, especially if you have time to scout in the summer. Out of curiosity, what unit are you thinking of hunting?

I AM waiting.....NO archery elk for me in Utah this year.

4aec49a65c565954.jpg

Go hunt!!! Pre rut is where it's at for archery! They will always be vocal and you'll have a lot less eyes, ears, and noses to worry about.

Traditional >>>------->

Thanks everyone for the input.

J939K, I may have a chance for Dutton, Manti, La Sal La Sal, Panguitch, and Fish Lake. Would also draw Wasatch. Right now trying to decide whether to put in for the Dutton, Manti, or Fish Lake.

If I can't decide, I'll just put in for the Beaver or Pahvant and hope to hit the lottery as usual.

HorseCreek,I just might do that.

I've traded PM's with you in the past when I was trying to get into the Wasatch. Applied twice but didn't draw. Switching gears now to the Dutton, Fish Lake, or Manti.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom