AZ Unit 10 Antelope

bear1945

I just got charged for an Antelope Permit for Unit 10. NR second year applying. Looking for any ideas of unit quality

>I just got charged for an
>Antelope Permit for Unit 10.
>NR second year applying. Looking
>for any ideas of unit
>quality
You got lucky out of over 8000 applicants res & non res.

You drew a fantastic tag! If you know plenty about pronghorn hunting, you can kill an 80"+ buck on your own. But, last year there were a number of bucks from 87-92" shot, and from what I saw, all of them were taken by residents who knew unit 10 real well or who hunted with guides.

I hunted unit 10 last year and shot an 82 1/2" buck opening day. He was cool looking and I'd been watching him for a few days, so when I couldn't find a better buck I decided he would make a nice end to a good hunt. PM me if you'd like some information on hunting the unit. 3 things I'll share now...

#1, but a flatline map.
#2, buy a permit to hunt the Boquillas Ranch. huntbigbo.com
#3, if hunting on your own, scout 4-7 days before the season. You'll make your success by scouting before opening morning in all likelihood. If you know where a good buck is, you'll be eating lunch at West Side Lilo's on opening morning and telling everyone about it.

My CC got hit for $550 so I'll be chasing goats in Az this year YEAH!!! 16 yrs and I want to make the best of it. Not sure but most likely it's my 2nd choice which is unit 10 archery, if not I drew unit 8 muzzy. Can't wait especially after prior posters scenting their praises on unit 10 .

I will always take a little luck on my side. Now to find a way to get this done. I should have a Utah Archery Deer tag 8-19-17 to 9-15-17, Utah Limited Entry Elk tag 9-16-17 to 9-24-17 then this hunt 9-8-17 to 9-17-17

Me too?, going to be hot end of Aug. needless to say many hours to come on the range increasing my comfortable shooting distance with my bow. Haven't ever spent much time practicing beyond 50 yds. 16 NR points and plan to make the best of it .

Unit 10 does have some great antelope.

But rather than try for just any buck and depending on luck to find one, whether hunting with a bow or rifle, one must do a heck of a lot of pre-season work, in my opinion.

Last year we were successful on both our archery and rifle hunts, with CA resident Mike Barats, taking a great buck on opening morning last year on the rifle hunt (I'll try and post pictures).

I had photographed almost 50 different bucks, during the archery hunt and had set up on Mike's buck for almost a week prior to his hunt!

This buck almost got killed the evening before the hunt opened when he got into a fight with a SMALLER buck!

If you're looking for some professional assistance on either the archery or rifle hunt give me a call!

Don Martin
Arizona Wildlife Outfitters

Thank you Don, your reputation as a guide and a fine person are unparalleled. I invested in ZGF and Travis McClendon last year so I'm set in that area. I called Travis and was having second thoughts on attempting antelope ( having purchased Pointguard) with a bow but he was oppomistic that if we work hard and I can shoot straight it can be a great hunt. I'm excited.

I got lucky. This is only my second year as a NR putting in for antelope. I've got my work cut out for me to try and scout a few times before the hunt starts. Until then, lots of shooting with the bow

Pictures of the buck we called "Mr. Big."

62320donmartinandmikebratsandmr.big.jpg

29544damagetoneckandcapofmr.bigrightside.jpg

The cape was so messed up, the taxidermist had to get another one.

The battle lasted almost a half hour, and at one point, we thought "Mr. Big" was dead!

The other buck got his horns under Mr. Big's head and really thrashed him!

Finally right before dark, they somehow became untangled.

Mike got Mr. Big right after daylight on opening day!

Don Martin

More damage to "Mr. Big" as a result of a very brutal fight!

85887closeupofdamageonleftside.jpg

Severe damage to the left side of his neck!

20027damagetomr.bigsneckandcapeleftside.jpg

Left side of Mr. Big's neck.

8065mr.bigminutesbeofrehisdemise...jpg

Mr. Big just moments before Mike took him!

19776mr.biglooksathisgirlsonelasttime.jpg

Mr. Big gets one last look at his girls!

Ouch !!! I've seen them run and jab each other but never an up close view of the damage. I bet that hurt ! Very nice buck by the way.

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Back
Top Bottom