Backpack stoves propane or white gas

chasendeer

I'm going on a back pack hunt this fall where I can not get isobutane fuel. What do you think the best stove would be? A Coleman single burner for the 1 lb bottles or a white gas stove from MSR or primus.
Thanks
Jay

I like the MSR Whisperlite. Been using one for about 25 years. I have a couple of the single burner propane stoves that I keep in my vehicles. Have used them many times when hunting from horses. They are quick to set up and take down but are bulkier and heavier than the MSR. When back packing I always go with the white gas Whisperlite. My oldest boy carries an MSR Pocket Rocket Isopro stove when we are back packing. Great little stove. One other thing, the propane is easier to adjust at low settings than the Whisperlite, but over the years I have got that down pretty good!

Norkal

INVEST IN LEAD FOR THE TIMES AHEAD!

If it were me I would go white gas, and MSR stove and split the load up amongst your buddies. I like the XGK EX and Whisper Lite models.

Although, if the temperature range was right and you guys are just water boilers, you could go with a Jetboil system. It is very efficient for that length of time which means less weight. You would have to find the isobutane canisters though.

Wade
www.HardcoreOutdoor.com

I'm thinking about going with the MSR Dragonfly stove. What do you think of the stove. I was thinking that it had enough heat control that you could cook up some bou chops if we get lucky. How much fuel do you think should bring with us? One 22oz. bottle each just in case.
Thanks
Jay

I prefer to pack a couple of the smaller bottles. As far as amount I don't have any experience with the Dragonfly. Play with it at home for a while before going afield mimicking what you will be cooking on your hunt. Remember weather and altitude will have an affect on the amount of fuel you consume. The reason for using multiple small bottles is that it is easier to distribute the weight in your pack. Also if you have problems with a bottle leaking all of your eggs aren't in the same basket. Hope this helps.

Norkal

INVEST IN LEAD FOR THE TIMES AHEAD!

If you are flying with a stove be careful to know the new restrictions.
No fuel bottles with any fuel- of course- or that have ever had any fuel in them.
I've seen the Isobutane and white gas at very remote places in Northern BC and Ak.

"In nature there are neither rewards nor punishments; there are consequences"
Robert Green Ingersoll

Get a MSR Whisperlite Internationale. Simple change of fuel jet on the burner and you can burn just about any fuel, even AVGAS.
WVBOWAK

Thanks I finaly got ahold of the right person in the village and they do have isobutane. SO jetboil it is.
Thanks again
Jay

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom