BADLANDS 2200

B

bgmhiker

Do any of you guys actually like this pack? I bought one and had it out for the first two days of the hunt in wyoming and I absolutely hate it. The batwings are pretty stupid IMHO. They look great but when you load up the main compartment the batwings don't really close at all especially with a spotter and tripod.My buddy has a horn hunter and after seeing it I ordered one today and the 2200 is for sale, just wondering if anyone else has figured it out.

bgmhiker

I cant believe you dont like that pack. I have had mine for a year and a half and have hauled one elk and two deer with it and couldnt believe how functional it was.. Are you not loosening the straps on the batwings? I have had my spotter, tripod, and the meat sling full of meat on that pack with the batwings and it worked great.. I think if you spent time with it you would love it.. It is all about the straps and loosening them..Just my opinion...

Ya I loosened all the straps, beleive me I really wanted to like this pack. It just doesn't work for me. There are much better packs out there.

Myself and 4 other buddies absolutely love ours. Works great for couple day trips. Hauls a good load as well.

You guys must have never used any other backpack if you think they work great for a couple of days. Not nearly big enough for where and when and how I hunt. A decent daypack at best..

I've used a number of the "good" packs and probably looked at about all of them. The 2200 is definitely my favorite. It's very versatile and can be used in a pinch for just about anyhing. It's perfect for day hunts, where you want to carry part of your kill out on the first trip, and also works well for overnighters. Don't know if i've seen a better do all pack. As far as not being able to cinch up the batwings, i've never had that problem and always have a spotting scope/tripod loaded.

I bought one from SW 3-weeks ago and really liked it, but after my elk hunt the left zipper would not open, 3-zippers broke and the darn waste belt kept popping open. I contacted Badlands and returned it to SW Sunday right after I got back. Not slamming them, just telling my story.

I also have used a number of good packs & love my 2200 as well! It is a great "all around" pack! & a hassle free, no questions asked return policy 2 boot!

>I also have used a number
>of good packs & love
>my 2200 as well! It
>is a great "all around"
>pack! & a hassle free,
>no questions asked return policy
>2 boot!

I guess I don't see you guys' criteria for a good "all around pack"

Is it a day pack?

I think it is a decent daypack that gives you the ability to haul out meat. You can't be very organized with it, the side pockets on the belt are worthless as are the outside pocket of the batwing. You just can't use that space effectively.All in all decent at best with other options out there that would work just as well.

Can you use this on an overnighter or longer?

My answer to this is absolutely not. I am a gear nut,meaning I like things that work the way they should.If it is a pack for extended time in the backcountry I shouldn't have to strap anything to the outside of the pack IMHO to make it doable. For where I am at when I hunt I don't have the luxury of using gear that kind of works. I want a pack that is comfortable can handle gear for a few days,spotting scope,tripod, and the ability to haul out a load of meat back to the trailhead. I can force the 2200 to do this but I shouldn't have to. I just have a hard time believing that there is that many people that really like this pack. I backpack for 30 - 45 days in the summer and use an osprey pack. This pack is so much more comfortable than ANY hunting pack I have tried. I guess I have the same compaint as HARDCORE with hunting clothing.I just think hunting packs could be much better. I haven't found the answer but I know it is not the 2200. Sorry for the rant I really wanted this pack to work for me. I think I will try the new sitka bivy 45 pack. I will let you all know how it works.

Bgmhiker

Update: I canceled the order on the Horn Hunter I still had a few concerns with it. I recieved the Sitka 45 bivy pack today and hopefully this will be the pack I'm looking for. A full review will follow in the next couple weeks

Bgmhiker

I had one and used it for one season and sold it. Didn't like it at all. It wasn't all that comfortable, no adjustment on the harness, the belt sucks, lack of pockets and functionality.

Bought a NICE frame with a Crewcab and lid to replace it. Not really fair to compare the two. One is a pack that you could load with more weight than you'd want to carry, the other is overloaded at 30 pounds. For a day pack it would work alright I guess. I sure wouldn't want to try and do a 2-3 day trip out of it, nor use it to pack out elk quarters. I didnt' care for the spotting scope compartments either. Pain in the azz to take scope/tripod apart and put in, plus my scope barely fit. I'm not sure an 80mm scope would fit either.

Wow, I love my 2200. I've carried gnarly loads in relative comfort and have never broken a thing. I've had mine for years and it's been a faithful companion.

LAST EDITED ON Sep-23-08 AT 09:04AM (MST)[p]I just spent a week on a New Mexico archery elk hunt wearing a 2200.

While I feel the "Spotting Scope" pocket is a bit small, I think the ci rating of 2200 is conservative and the "Batwing" design allows you to strap almost anything to the pack and keep it secure. While maybe this pack could be used for a 2-3 day spike camp outing, it seems better intended as a hunting daypack that can carry out a decent load of meat. It is an extremely comfortable pack and I will wear it again on future hunts and not hestitate to recommend it to other hunters.

Ed
48d8fe4a3ac910a5.jpg

www.huntpacks.com

I can understand that you recommend it due to the fact that you sell it, you pretty much have too. I never found it that comfortable(no way is it exteremely comfortable) and I would not recommend it. Really many better packs out there. If money is not an issue the Sitka Bivy 45 is the best hunting backpack for 350.00 but Ed does not sell it.
Bgmhiker

Bgmhiker,

Opinions are very subjective and we are not conducting a scientific test.

In my opinion the Badlands 2200 is extremely comfortable to wear. It is lightweight, the pack conformed nicely to the contour of my back, and it lacked any stress on my shoulders or neck area with the weight resting correctly on my hips. It seemed adaptable to carry many different things which included my blind and chair.

I did not say there are better packs out there, just saying I enjoyed wearing the pack, and will use it in the future.

I am sure the Sitka Bivy 45 is a great pack. Sitka makes great gear. Hardcore, Horn Hunter and Mystery Ranch also makes some great packs which I don't carry.

I handle four brands of hunt packs that all have been field tested by some of the best hunters and professionals in the business and come with a solid, no hassle warranty. I offer personal service to my customers, 7 days a week.

Ed
48da6a367df79b1f.jpg

www.huntpacks.com

bigbull1.....

couldn't have seen it put any better than that! The pack is most suitable or comfortable to wear for the more slender built person......not so much the overweight type.

my opinion of course...

I thought the 2800 made a much better day pack, short bivy, and quarter packer than the 2200. The 2200 was pretty much a single main compartment pack. I had no complaints with the 2800 on my NM Elk hunt.

I have to agree with bgmhiker, the 2200 is adequate at best.The pockets on the waist strap are almost useless.[I have to struggle just to get my mini-mag flashlight in the pocket.] The other side I used for a lens cleaning kit,that's about all they will hold. The batwings are a total pain in the azz, you have to fold the top of the batwing back to access the zipper for the main compartment. They have a pocket on the exterior of them that is not usable if you have a spotting scope in it's compartment. You CAN NOT zip the water bladder zipper unless the pack is lying flat on the ground."Lightweight" at 4.1 pounds it is far from lightweight.I have not given up on Badlands yet, I am currently waiting for the new Whitetail pack to come out, although that has been delayed by a few months. My 2200 is for sale on sagecreek and AT forums and nobody has asked about it yet.To the guy that says his zippers are broken you must have one of those chinese knockoffs because their quality and warranty seem great. To me the 2200 is like a crescent wrench, it might get the job done but there are a lot better tools out there than the 2200.JMO

I love my 2200, I have my swarovski and tripod in it along with my other shizz but its also a comfort thing. I had problems with it cause the zippers quit working and i returned it to cabelas and they gave me a new one a year and a half later. I love the Warranty with badlands. It would be way to small to take on a backpack trip but a great day pack.

LAST EDITED ON Oct-29-08 AT 04:31PM (MST)[p]I carried this on my 2200 for 1.5 miles and it handled it with ease. Not that it was easy but relatively speaking it carried the load with ease. My shoulders and hips were not one touch sore afterwards (can't say the same for my legs!) I've had half as much weight on my Alaskan Guide pack frame and been much less comfortable.

4908e3cc32759537.jpg

4908e3f4343638dc.jpg

Hey BigPig, I'm doing a "Boning out Big Game" Seminar at my house later this week if interested, usually $10 admission is required, however you look like you deserve a freebie.

Nice speed goat

}}-SLIVER-->

that's funny. Fortunately that goat was less than 1/2 mile from the truck. it was easier to just man up and do it.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom