Barbary

leftturnabq

Well, it's been a rough season to say the least. I had 2 tags in my pocket,1 for deer and 1 for Barbary.

My deer hunt was cut short when I got a call from the wife on opening day to inform me that the garage door had fallen off the tracks and the sky was coming down with it.

On February 4th, Rabbidrattlesnake and I were almost into the hilly country on our way to our first attempt at chasing Barbary when I got a call from the wife. Apparently water lines had frozen in the house and flooded everything. We immediately turned around and returned to ABQ. I've been dealing with that ever since.

Finally, a weekend opened up and Rabbidrattlesnake and I made one last effert to get some hunting in. Being that we had limited experience with these animals and even more limited time, we definitely made the most of it. We made the drive out Friday night with no bad phone calls from the wife. Got out in the field well before first light on Saturday morning and spotted a sheep far across the canyon at approximately 7:30. I could see chaps through my 8 power binos, so I figured it was plenty big for me at this stage of the game. 1 hour later, and the tag was punched.

We happily posed for pics only to find that I had failed to charge up not only the primary battery, but the backup battery as well. I was so mad at myself because I was not able to get field pics.

Got everything back to the truck just before dark...some pretty good hiking.

The tale of the tape: young 15" ram

There was definitely some ground shrinkage, but considering that this is only the 2nd time I've seen these animals in the wild, I cannot complain.

I owe it all to Rabidrattlesnake for helping me get out there, making the most of it, and getting it done.

4057dave-small.jpg

Congrats on taking down a Sheep! They're fun to hunt, but tough to say the least. Sounds like you made the most of your unique situation! Congrats again.

Congrats! I hope to get drawn this year, also hope I can afford the diesel fuel to get there if I do!!! :) Ha! I would think also any sheep is a good one. Congrats again!

LAST EDITED ON Mar-07-11 AT 08:16PM (MST)[p]Way to make it happen on the sheep man. Tough break on all those stinking phone calls, but here's to 2011 being a good one for you.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom