Beaver Deer Unit

The Drought EXCUSE is Total BULLSSHHIITT!

Yes it's Dry!

Dry SOB in fact!

But one/The first Dry year isn't what has destroyed Our Quality!

But it's the PERFECT Excuse for the DWR to make more money by having Depredation Hunts this Winter like you've never seen!

The Deer Herd around here is F'D up beyond Belief!

I know so many people in so many places
They make allot of money but they got sad faces

It Ain't Easy being Me!:D:D:D

muzzle hunters didn't know how to kill the bucks that were living on the beaver. the rifle hunters figured it out an slammed a bunch of mature bucks. lots of leftover bucks for next year too.
the chicken littles of mm lala land.

They said let's make the whole state limited entry; easier to manage. Hunters will still get to hunt every other year they said. Right now it's upwards of 3-years for a bad GS permit. We should let anyone over the age of 6 apply for big game permits. That way daddy can try to out do the other daddy?s or maybe grandpa can will his SSN tag to jr. II and kill the biggest deer in middle school.

I've said it before, this focus on youth was a bad business decision from the beginning. Reap it boys....

>They said let's make the whole
>state limited entry; easier to
>manage. Hunters will still get
>to hunt every other year
>they said. Right now it's
>upwards of 3-years for a
>bad GS permit. We should
>let anyone over the age
>of 6 apply for big
>game permits. That way
>daddy can try to out
>do the other daddy?s or
>maybe grandpa can will his
>SSN tag to jr. II
>and kill the biggest deer
>in middle school.
>
>I've said it before, this focus
>on youth was a bad
>business decision from the beginning.
>Reap it boys....

Focusing on youth wasn't a "bad business decision". It has been a nation wide trend, state by state, because overall hunting numbers have been in serious decline. Bad enough that if trends continue, the existence of sport hunting is at serious risk.

Maybe
>nothing needs to be done
>and let the drought run
>its course. If your
>seeing doe's with fawns, something
>is breeding them.

Doe?s with fawns still sporting spots in August and September even October.

Seeing that more and more as time goes on. Just a hand full of mostly young bucks causing the rut to drag out way to long.

Gunnie,
I don't disagree that lowering the age has added more into the mix.

However would you be willing to list all of the current General Season units that take 3 points to draw. Please include archery, muzzy, early rifle and late rifle. that would be approximately 100 different hunts. I am curious to see how many of those 100 hunts takes 3 points to draw.

I wish we would cut tag numbers to make it a 3-4 year draw for every unit. But we are not even close!

>muzzle hunters didn't know how to
>kill the bucks that were
>living on the beaver.
>the rifle hunters figured it
>out an slammed a bunch
>of mature bucks. lots
>of leftover bucks for next
>year too.
>the chicken littles of mm lala
>land.

Do you have any pics of these mature bucks taken on the rifle hunt?? I'd like to see them.

>Do you have any pics of
>these mature bucks taken on
>the rifle hunt?? I'd
>like to see them.

Ding ding....winner post!
Post 'em up, let's see!

I spent 7 solid day's hunting areas that USED to hold great bucks and good number's of deer overall.
I had at least three trips morning and evening when we never saw even a single doe!
I am no green horn amateur hunter and I have been hunting for 35 years and guiding professionally for 26.
Beaver is NOT in a "healthy" position right now and has been in a down hill slide for year's.

Oh I have no doubt a few good bucks were unlucky and got harvested, but we all know even a blind squirrel can stumble across an occasional nut once in a while!

>
>>Do you have any pics of
>>these mature bucks taken on
>>the rifle hunt?? I'd
>>like to see them.
>
>Ding ding....winner post!
>Post 'em up, let's see!
>
>I spent 7 solid day's hunting
>areas that USED to hold
>great bucks and good number's
>of deer overall.
>I had at least three trips
>morning and evening when we
>never saw even a single
>doe!
>I am no green horn amateur
>hunter and I have been
>hunting for 35 years and
>guiding professionally for 26.
>Beaver is NOT in a "healthy"
>position right now and has
>been in a down hill
>slide for year's.
>
>Oh I have no doubt a
>few good bucks were unlucky
>and got harvested, but we
>all know even a blind
>squirrel can stumble across an
>occasional nut once in a
>while!

Hey PUNK!

I Think Maybe You & Me need Glasses!

I Seen some of the Poorest Buck Hunting this year that I've ever seen!

A 20"er here would be a Trophy this year!

It sucks Bess, not a single doubt about it!
I have friends who have hunted this unit their whole lives and only take trophy bucks. They are dedicated and never saw a buck this whole year worth punching a tag.

We aren't just doing one or two things wrong in this state, we are doing NUMEROUS things wrong......obviously.

If were keeping "long range weapons" in place (archery, muzzy & rifle) we have GOT to cut out all these friggin "opportunity hunts" and go back to three simple seasons, period!

LAST EDITED ON Oct-30-18 AT 08:09PM (MST)[p]>
>Doe?s with fawns still sporting spots
>in August and September even
>October.

Indeed, we've seen 2 in town, live on the winter range, in the last month. Both will probably winter kill. No way those does were bred in November like they should have been. Why's that? Because there ain't enough bucks!

I'd like to see em manage for 23-24 bucks per 100 does state wide. If you got rid of the le units for deer, manage those units at 23-24 per 100. There would have more opportunity from freeing up the le units and you'd have bigger bucks on every unit because you'd have a more balanced age class of animals. and most importantly, the does would get bred in a timely manner improving fawn survival.

The Beaver unit had the 5 day rifle hunt for a couple of years.

I felt the results were noticeabley positive to the herd right away.

Just from that one small change.

DWR knows what needs to be done.

LAST EDITED ON Oct-30-18 AT 08:59PM (MST)[p]Fawns ween at about 12 weeks.

The feed a doe needs to produce milk fades out in Sept.

Fawns dropped after June have poor odds of making it.

Bucks matter.

Completely agree 3Blade. I have noticed the same thing. When I go out and look at deer in November and December, very few groups of Doe have a buck in with them. There are not enough bucks to go around, so they get bred much later in the season. Why can't we manage for 23 to 25 bucks per 100 doe? I don't see the feed being any problem. There is to much feed for to few deer as it is. And the only way to get the buck to doe number we need is to change some things. Every year we get the same story, that the Beaver unit is on or above objective, so lets hand out more tags. This will not cure the problem. Maybe the Dedicated and some volunteer hunters should be allowed to go out on foot and count the deer herd. This would put more man power out in the unit, and may come up with a more accurate count.

About 5 Days ago we seen a Fawn with Spots!

Nothin but F'N Coyote Bait!

Total Deer Numbers Mean way More than STUPID ASS Buck to Doe Ratio's!

KILL!

KILL!

KILL Some More!

Most of the Bigger Bucks taken around here this year are in the 16"-20" range!

WAFJ!!!

I saw more bucks this year, and mature bucks, and 1 giant that I could only dream of killing, this year than I have seen probably ever. It was a great year. trying to get my kids on these bucks was a BLAST! And I jumped the giant walking into a small ravine of quakies at about 30 yards and I was not ready for it. But I know where I will be next year.

Now, with all this talk about the units and how bad things are and we need to change units size and tag numbers. Well, we do not have a general season hunt any more. Everything is LE. Why dont we stop with all the Le and General applications and make it what it is, archery, muzzle (2nd season Rifle), 3rd season rifle and thats it. No more LE VS General. because its all LE as it is now. If you want to hunt Henries, Keep applying there, or Paunsaguant or Vernon or Wasatch or Beaver. It uses your DEER points and thats that!

>Sounds like Robiland was hunting on
>the Henries or Paunsaguant.
>We better get him a
>map.

Yup!

He sure the HELL wasn't on a General Unit!

Well!

Maybe the Henries General Unit!:D

LAST EDITED ON Nov-02-18 AT 01:32PM (MST)[p]>>They said let's make the whole
>>state limited entry; easier to
>>manage. Hunters will still get
>>to hunt every other year
>>they said. Right now it's
>>upwards of 3-years for a
>>bad GS permit. We should
>>let anyone over the age
>>of 6 apply for big
>>game permits. That way
>>daddy can try to out
>>do the other daddy?s or
>>maybe grandpa can will his
>>SSN tag to jr. II
>>and kill the biggest deer
>>in middle school.
>>
>>I've said it before, this focus
>>on youth was a bad
>>business decision from the beginning.
>>Reap it boys....
>
>Focusing on youth wasn't a "bad
>business decision". It has been
>a nation wide trend, state
>by state, because overall hunting
>numbers have been in serious
>decline. Bad enough that if
>trends continue, the existence of
>sport hunting is at serious
>risk.

I will respectfully disagree with you, deadibob. The save the children speech it not proven. The national trend proves it doesn't work, as numbers are still falling. Hunting is passed down from generation to generation. If you hunt and take your kids' hunting, most of them will inevitably pursue the sport into adulthood.

Here is why it is wrong. There are too many children to feed them all, and the numbers are going to keep growing. Look at it this way; hunting needs medical attention. In a mass casualty situation, patients must receive triage because you simply can't save them all. The focus is on the breeding class, in this case, 25-45-year-old adults. If you reallocate those permits from the under 16 class to the 25-45-year-old class, chances are those adults will take their children hunting. If you choose to let your 12-year-old smoke a deer on your permit then so be it. It still accomplishes the same goal.

The focus should not be on the young or the old when it comes to selling hunting or fishing permits. It is a way of life, not a sport. Sell the way of life to the parents (breeding class) and the kids will follow suit. It doesn't work the other way around.

BTW: I'm not in this age class.

I observed the same thing in the pine valley area this year during the muzzle loader. I went for 2 days with a friend who drew out (glad I didn't this year) We hiked quite a bit at a couple of our usual spots. All we saw was a little 2 point and a spike. The next week my dad and I went to ox valley to have a look see. Hardly any tracks and saw one small herd of does with a couple fawns. We didn't know it but it was opening day for the early rifle hunt? What? 5 more days of deer getting shot at..

>I observed the same thing in
>the pine valley area this
>year during the muzzle loader.
>I went for 2 days
>with a friend who drew
>out (glad I didn't this
>year) We hiked quite a
>bit at a couple of
>our usual spots. All we
>saw was a little 2
>point and a spike. The
>next week my dad and
>I went to ox valley
>to have a look see.
>Hardly any tracks and saw
>one small herd of does
>with a couple fawns. We
>didn't know it but it
>was opening day for the
>early rifle hunt? What?
>5 more days of deer
>getting shot at..

Bingo!

>I observed the same thing in
>the pine valley area this
>year during the muzzle loader.
>I went for 2 days
>with a friend who drew
>out (glad I didn't this
>year) We hiked quite a
>bit at a couple of
>our usual spots. All we
>saw was a little 2
>point and a spike. The
>next week my dad and
>I went to ox valley
>to have a look see.
>Hardly any tracks and saw
>one small herd of does
>with a couple fawns. We
>didn't know it but it
>was opening day for the
>early rifle hunt? What?
>5 more days of deer
>getting shot at..

What?

There's definitely a trend where a person is praised for talking bad about a unit and then usually ridiculed, mad fun of and in some cases, even threatened to keep their mouth shut, if they say good things about an area. Personally, I don't put much stock into people talking down an area. It's in their best interest to keep the competition at bay.

Robiland don't you know the sky is always falling around here? Don't post a positive report on here it throws these guys out of whack!

>There's definitely a trend where a
>person is praised for talking
>bad about a unit and
>then usually ridiculed, mad fun
>of and in some cases,
>even threatened to keep their
>mouth shut, if they say
>good things about an area.
>Personally, I don't put much
>stock into people talking down
>an area. It's in their
>best interest to keep the
>competition at bay.

Thumbs up!

>There's definitely a trend where a
>person is praised for talking
>bad about a unit and
>then usually ridiculed, mad fun
>of and in some cases,
>even threatened to keep their
>mouth shut, if they say
>good things about an area.
>Personally, I don't put much
>stock into people talking down
>an area. It's in their
>best interest to keep the
>competition at bay.

Here's the Deal Ridge!

(And This pertains to Me Talking about the BC Deer & Elk LE Unit!)

Ya!

I'm Talking it Down!

Know Why?

Cuzz I'm Telling You The Truth on What I Know & See in the Unit!

Not Because I Want to Enhance My Odds of Drawing a Permit in the Area!

I've got Enough Elk Points I Coulda Drew a Permit out there Years ago!

I Know PUNK surely Ain't up to what you're Claiming because He Already Blowed His Deer Points on the Beaver!

If I Tell You a Unit is in Trouble You Might wanna Listen!

I Can't Speak for the Beaver Deer Unit!

But if PUNK & others tell me what they're seeing & it's Not what they should be seeing,I'll Damn Sure believe them!

Not Harpin on you Ridge!

But there are Several Units Both Elk & Deer that are in Serious Shape in this State!

I've hunted the Beaver unit general muzzy hunt 9 out of the last 12 years. The last 3 years I noticed a downhill trend, but chalked up the first two years to luck and just being in the wrong places. This year I spent enough time to know it wasn't me but the unit itself. Are there still deer there? Yes. Are there still a few good buck there? I imagine so. Is it like it was? Not even close.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom