Best 1 day to 5 day hunting pack?

elks96

Long Time Member
I am just starting to look into getting a new pack (I have been on my last Walmart $20 pack) for nearly 10 year now. I also have been using an external framed Kelty for packing meat.

Well it maybe time to bet an all in one pack. I wonder what you would recommend for a day pack that could go to a multi day pack? I like my day pack to be small and snug fitting. So what set up gives a guy a good smaller day pack that can also expand out to carry a tent, bag, etc.

Badlands makes some great packs. Me and my buddies all have them. Sportsman's Warehouse has a good selection of packs if you live close to one.

Good luck finding what you need and good luck on your hunts!

I use my E-stock J104 for day use and extended hunts. Called the all-in-one for good reason. Got tired of small daypack hurting if overfilled.I can go with 10-20#'s of scouting gear or up and over 40-60#'s without being uncomfortable.I do still have Alaska freighter pack for meat trips,but just take it as back-up.Haven't used it in years.

+1 on the badlands. they are fantastic. i have the 2200 and the superday. the 2200 has an internal pack frame which makes carrying meat bearable. the super day can still carry my rifle and or bow and all other gear. i have used the 2200 on a 4 day hunt in october and it worked great. i had over 90lbs in the pack after i killed my buck so i know it will hold the weight. any longer than 4 days though i would recommend getting something a little larger.

"Shoot Straight"

At least you've been using a pack of some kind and your pack is at the front of your mind!

I see way too many guys hunting elk with NO way to take care of the animal IF they ever get one down.

Last year I watched a couple guys struggle with elk quarters slung over their shoulders!!! They didn't even have one pack between them. I have to wonder how much meat they left in the field!??!

I've started using my Badlands 4500 as a day pack. Between outer clothing, spotting scope/tripod, food and gear, it gets used to about 50% capacity. It packs an elk quarter and a backstrap with ease.

Have fun and remember: There's nothing as good as a HEAVY backpack!
Zeke

>At least you've been using a
>pack of some kind and
>your pack is at the
>front of your mind!
>
>I see way too many guys
>hunting elk with NO way
>to take care of the
>animal IF they ever get
>one down.
>
>
>Last year I watched a couple
>guys struggle with elk quarters
>slung over their shoulders!!! They
>didn't even have one pack
>between them. I have to
>wonder how much meat they
>left in the field!??!
>
>
>I've started using my Badlands 4500
>as a day pack. Between
>outer clothing, spotting scope/tripod, food
>and gear, it gets used
>to about 50% capacity. It
>packs an elk quarter and
>a backstrap with ease.
>
>
>Have fun and remember: There's nothing
>as good as a HEAVY
>backpack!
>Zeke
Excellent post Zeke! I don't know how many times I've run into folks with no water, rain gear,knives,sharpeners,etc.. The list goes on and on.
I'd rather take it and not need it than wish I had.
If you think my daypack is too heavy,you will never get an elk out....
Point is get a good one and you won't be sorry!

Badlands is a great multi-use pack. I have used the 2200 for a 6-7 day backpack hunt, and use it all the time for day trips. Can easily carry a quarter out of the woods if you get one down. I would have a frame pack back at the car, as thats better for packing meat. BUt for a 1-5 day pack, the 2200 is great.

You can buy on camofire.com for large discounts on a regular basis. JUst keep an eye out everyday and get yourself a great deal.

Have Badlands daypacks, fanny packs with shoulder straps, 2200, and just bought a Sacrifice for boned out animals inone large compartment. Have to say the Sacrifice is rapidly becoming my favorite (even with that ##### 105 oz. bladder!) Carries all my stuff and is expandable to about 3800.

Plus 1 on the BL Sacrifice. I have been using my 2200 for several years and it is great, but I wanted a little more room for pack in hunts. Bought the sacrifice last year and it is the ticket. Plus it compresses down even smaller than the 2200 when you aren't using the extra capacity. It feels more comfortable too, which I didn't think was possible.

oakbrush

If you're going to be packing in for a few days/week I would go with the Badlands 4500. I've used mine on several 3-6 day pack hunts and many day hunts, it's nice knowing when you get a deer down the pack can fit your game and gear with relative ease. or with an elk you can a least take a good load out without needing to get to your "hauling pack"

I have the 2200 as well and I love it. Great option for what you are looking for.

I also have the X2 and it is a great day pack, maybe able to push a couple days but not for the longer stuff.

Something to think about! I am going to try this out this year. Mainly for backcountry, but I am going to try an Ox frame pack (just the frame) and then just attach my X2 to it for my day pack. This will allow me to attach my bag and tent and stuff but still have the light weight day pack. I will also then have my frame pack available to me at base camp when it is needed.

The 2200 works well for all of the above but it is a little heavier and not as comfortable for hauling heavy loads as a frame pack.

Just my $0.02

"The problem with quotes on Internet Forums is that it is often difficult to verify their authenticity." - Abraham Lincoln

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom