Best CO Antelope Unit?

BigFin

I will be hunting antelope in CO this year. I have the points to get any NR antelope tag. Worried about the snow impacts in the NW corner. An outfitted hunt is not my style.

If you had one choice, where would you want to go for the best hunt?

Thanks for any replies.

"Hunt when you can - You're gonna' run out of health before you run out of money!"

For sure not #2----IMO it was the best but the drought has hit it hard----antelope seem to have move to #3----down to the green fields, where there is itrrigation. They went down & then never came back to #2. Problem with #3----it's mostly private where the antelope are.

I'm in the same boat--I've got 8 points & don't know where to apply. CB

same here, 8 points. Looking hard for a unit to hunt in.
Funny thing was, last year I hunted unit 11 and there in the snow were 3 buck antelope just lying there.

If I come across anything, I will post

I have hunted unit 4 twice in the last few years it is ok some big bucks. Unit 2 used to have some monsters but trophy size overall has suffered to due harsh weather such as droughts and tough winters. 2 is still a good unit though with 90% public lands you will have to do a lot of looking but big bucks still roam 2.

I bought a land owner voucher in 3 last year and the overall impression of the unit was not that good I did not see or hear about the bucks the unit is known for. Now on Priavte lands the usual 77-82+ were taken but these are large tracts of private ground. Peronally if I had the points I would look to the walden area UNIT 161 more than a few great bucks come out of the area.

THE LORD IS MY ROCK
NRA LIFE MEMBER
HUNTING PASS IT ON

The antelope will be taking at hit from this winter. Got a friend with a ranch in Hayden, normally has about 100 antelop on his ground wintering has not seen one in two monthes.

Units 128 and 133. Most of it is private, but there are some public chunks of land with good bucks. If you can find a landowner who'll let you hunt, or for a trespass fee, you can get into great bucks that will rival anything the northwest corner has. Plus, no winterkill!

LAST EDITED ON Feb-14-08 AT 04:01AM (MST)[p]I hunted the eastern plains once bought a voucher and the day before the season saw a easy 16 inch buck then opening day came and all the locals who had there tags were hunting the heck out of the place and the neighbors that buck never did get killed. I took a good one but not a monster I did see 2 great bucks though.

I would have to agree that some units in the plains would rival any thing in western Colorado.

THE LORD IS MY ROCK
NRA LIFE MEMBER
HUNTING PASS IT ON

>Units 128 and 133. Most
>of it is private, but
>there are some public chunks
>of land with good bucks.
> If you can find
>a landowner who'll let you
>hunt, or for a trespass
>fee, you can get into
>great bucks that will rival
>anything the northwest corner has.
> Plus, no winterkill!

Isn't that the area that had the tremoundous winter kill last year? The gov't and air reserves were flying in hay and feed down there for the animals.

Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

Thanks for the advice, and for those who sent a PM. I have a month to decide, so I will keep updated on the reports of possible winterkill in these units.

Happy Hunting!

"Hunt when you can - You're gonna' run out of health before you run out of money!"

128 and 133 didn't have any noticeable winterkill. Around Las Animas and south took a helluva beating though.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom