best elk pack

• Thread starter mywifeishotterthentiffany
  • Start date
M

mywifeishotterthentiffany

I drew a cow permit in the badlands in Eastern Montana and would like some advice on a pack that would work well on elk.

"Let's keep things in perspective.I mean for Peet's sake there are kids in Africa that don't even hunt....hello" Jimmy Big Time

Look at several and pick one you like.
Here are some popular ones.

Mystery Ranch Crew cab and NICE frame.
Mystery Ranch Bighorn
Eberlestock Just One
Badlands 2200, 2800. If your pack "camp" around with you. Or if you want smaller, Superday, or Hybrid(I was checking this pack out the other day, nice, lots of organization, nice day pack, cheap) and then buy a bare pack frame for hauling quarters.

The Crew cab, Just One, and 2800 or 2200, will haul copious amounts of meat.

It depends on what you are doing. Are you going to use it to pack gear and quarters off the mountain, or just use it when you get an animal down?

I use an Eberlestock Just One, it has good room to pack gear (knives, water, spotter, etc..) then when you kill the pack can expand and give you more room for meat. If I am not worried about packing any gear and I'm just going up to pack meat I would rather use a bare external frame.

If I were in the market for a good daypack/pack frame I would look at the Outdoorsmans backpacking system (link below). The frame is light weight and comfortable, the bag can be removed from the frame if you are just looking at hauling out quarters.

http://shop.outdoorsmans.com/

LAST EDITED ON Aug-31-10 AT 09:54AM (MST)[p]I've used many. The best I've ever used is the BlacksCreek "Alaskan" Pack. The most I've had strength to carry was one hind quarter, one front shoulder, back straps, and tenderloins from a bull...all in one haul. It was heavy, but I was comforable, and the pack handled it like it was nothing.

I was sold from that point forward. Nothing yet has packed an animal as nice.

Now, a hard frame created for packing meat is different. However if you want an "all in one" type pack, I'd recommend the Alaskan. Here's a website:

http://www.blacks-creek.com/www/New Site pages/Sub Pages/Packs Pages/AlaskanPage.html

"Luck is often nothing more than preparation running into opportunity.?
-Some Smart Guy

Bull pack is by far the best I have used. The best as far as a pack frame. Others make better for packing with the use of a backpack but to use to pack meat I don't think there is better.

I have a J-104 E-stock and wouldn't trade it for anything,except maybe a new Justone. It is very comfortable and adaptable to what you need.

DrDeath beat me to it . . . Big surprise, there's more than one smarta#$ on MM . . . Other than a pack on a good horse, you'll get 100 different answers from 100 different people. Historically, I've used an internal frame pack to do it all, but recently I've considered getting a quality frame to keep in the truck for those really heavy loads. I'll be keeping track of this one to see what's recommended, too!

I use a Granite Gear Flatbed. It's the pack firefighters use. I can pack some very heavy loads with with more comfort than any other pack I've used.

Smokepole

thanks for all the info. Its time to do some shopping!!

"Let's keep things in perspective.I mean for Peet's sake there are kids in Africa that don't even hunt....hello" Jimmy Big Time

I have packed one hind inside and one front staped to outside when packing elk many times twice with a buffalo in my Badlands 2200 they also have life time warrenty great pack

http://www.elknut.com
Vortex Optics Dealer

We are hunters who use Dual Purpose Packs, they seem to do a great job & have had no real issues in packing quarters & such out!

For years we were in the daypack & fannypack stage to reduce weight on all day or 1/2 day hunts but were not able to take meat out on first trip out. We'd return & grab pack-frames but not any more.

We now use either the Badlands 2200 for 3 day bivy hunts or the new Eberlestock X2 for all day hunts or up to 3day 2 nights hunts. These packs have outside the pack meat carrying capabilities, meaning bloody meat does not go inside & contaminate any inside items.

For your hunt which I assume for a cow you will be hunting not far from camp or the rig, the Eberlestock X2 would be a great choice for carrying all your belongings & you can pack a load out at the kill site. Both packs mentioned have the same features but the X2 is much smaller & lighter for those all day hunts but still has a beefy lightweight internal frame for loads.

Here's a photo of the 2200 with a hindquarter, front shoulder, backstrap & tenderloin on outside of pack on a last years cow hunt. No tying is needed on these packs all buckles & straps are right there for quick meat securing!

ElkNut1

LAST EDITED ON Sep-09-10 AT 07:56AM (MST)[p]Slamdunk,Awholelottabull with the Mossback crew thrown in would be a pretty good pack, might be overkill for a cow.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

I got the new Eberlestock X2 for my San Juan hunt. It worked incredible packing out my cape and horns at about 80 - 100 lbs.

924packout.jpg

Here's a couple with my hind quarters boned out the next day. They were about 75 lbs each plus the bow and junk.

8973eberlestock1.jpg

Then today I helped a buddy pack out his stickbow 6x6 off the Wasatch Mtns about 2 1/2 miles. Don't ask what these two quarters weighted. It was stupid heavy and I'm worked :)

863pete-2-quarters.jpg

Great pack for day hunts, short bivy hunts and hauling meat. I'm way pleased. Especially because it is very cost effective and probably the best value for money in the pack game right now.

Cheers,
Pete

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom