Best OTC unit for Non-Res to take my Father

SpikeCamp

My Father just recently retired and has never hunted out West and I wanted to take him on an Elk Hunt for his retirement gift.

I have never hunted CO and heard great things about CO OTC tags and wanted to see if anybody may be able to help with any suggestions or ideas for a good unit, location, season, etc.. that would fit well for my father ( he is in his 60's and can get around fairly well)

Thanks in advance and I look forward to the discussion.

Regards,
SpikeCamp

There are other options to consider as well as location. DIY public land, trespass hunts, or guided hunts? Camping or staying in a motel? If it's a DIY hunt, how do plan to get the elk out? How much money do you want to spend? Look at the harvest statistics on the DPW website. Look for units with OTC tags and high kill numbers relative to it's size. There's a lot of information there. Since we're talking OTC tags, the 1st season is out. The 2nd season is probably the next best, unless you have access to some good low elevation private land. If you do look at paying a trespass fee, you need to know if there are resident elk or migratory only. If it's migratory only, later is better. Lots to learn, but it's fun.

LAST EDITED ON Jul-11-13 AT 05:20PM (MST)[p]My best recommendation would be to try and take him on a trespass hunt on private. With the info you supply, IMO your odds would be less than 10% of taking an elk with an OTC tag. If you want to see some beautiful country and the elk would be a bonus, go for it, you have to get your feet wet somehow, but if you want your Dad to have a decent chance of success, OTC is not the way to go on a first hunt.

There are some good trespass hunts advetised on this website under outfitters.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

Try BarH outfitters out of Meeker...they are honest and well run...they sometimes have tgs for second or third season...every time I hunt with them I get an elk...this is wher I would take a family member...good luck...thir phone is 1 800 230 hunt

So here is my 2 cents. You really can't go wrong with any of the NW Units. 3,301 later, 4,5 earlier, 23,24, 32,33, 21, 11, 211, etc. 42, etc. All of those units hold elk. the real question is: Do you want a wilderness style hunt, hunnt from the truck more? Early season with the colored leaves and high country, later with more snow? I would be willing to give you advice. Also realize that you will not see much trophy potential but you could also pick up a reduced price cow tag in many units as well.

Just thoughts. PM and I will hook you up with better details and we will get you headed in the right direction.

Good lUck. Season is only days away... LOL!

I appreciate all of your responses on this and helping to make his trip a reality.

We would be leaning more towards DIY and setting up a base camp and possibly spike in somewhere. We may have access to horses if we have another gentleman join us on the hunt otherwise we would be backpacking.

We are by no means after trophy elk but more so a solid trip in beautiful country with a good potential of seeing elk. I think for him to see an elk would make his trip worth while as he is not from out west as I am.

We did put in to begin building points for elk and deer but wanted to look into an OTC hunt to get his feet wet before going for tags next year.

Thank you

SpikeCamp

For OTC rifle the elk would have survived a month of archery hunters, 9 days of muzzleloaders and 5 days of early rifle hunters. If you don't get some weather to get them to move, you might be looking at the possibility of not even seeing an elk. Not saying that will happen, but until you get to know the country, they can allude pretty well.

I would check and see if there are any left over early 1st rifle season tags. You also might even try and get a cow tag for the first rifle season instead of a bull or either sex. That way you can hunt the first rifle (when the elk are still in rut and they haven't been shot at by hoards of rifle hunters yet). Get you feet wet with a cow hunt in a unit you could draw next year for a bull. Believe me, getting a cow elk is great in itself. I will be hunting for a cow this fall with my muzzleloader :)

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

+1 txhunter58,
if I was you, I'd try my hardest to find a 1st season tag. It is so much easier in 1st season. Don't take that the wrong way and think it is a slam dunk, you still need to work hard to have a realistic chance.
Even if it is a cow, you are gaining knowledge for your hunt next year. If you know what unit you will be applying for and if you likely will draw it then I would hunt that unit for cows if at all possible even if it meant buying a voucher. It would give you huge amounts of scouting info for your bull tag next year.

Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

Let me guess, you drive a 1 ton with oak trees for smoke stacks, 12" lift kit and 40" tires to pull a single place lawn mower trailer?

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom