Best time for one and only scouting trip ?

Stillwater165

Very Active Member
If you only had one chance to scout for an end of October mule deer hunt when would you go ??? Drew an area we’ve never set foot in and my son and I seem to disagree when to go look !

Depends on what you hope to accomplish with the trip. IMO, if only one trip than I'm getting a look at the terrain and learning roads/access to where I think I'm going to hunt. Those things can be accomplished at any time. If you're hoping to find deer or type of buck then it kind of depends. Better chance of seeing before shedding velvet and bachelored up. But is the area more migration than others?

Migration shouldn’t be much of an issue, weather may possibly bring them down some but still be within the area I do believe.

If there’s 0 migration than you can see potential bucks during velvet. Just prior to the season is also good but bucks may be in hiding until the rut kicks in especially if there is pressure from archery hunters, etc. Big bucks generally know the game and go into seclusion after they shed velvet.

If they aren't going to migrate, go when they are in the velvet. They are easier to see then. The bucks will usually go down more into the timber in Wyoming and other high country areas after they shed their velvet. But they usually stay close to where you;ll see them until weather or the rut moves them.

If I had just one chance to go look, I'd likely try for mid August. Bucks are visible and by then, you pretty much know what they are antler-wise.

First of august. You will have a much better chance not only locating bigger, but more bucks during this time. If you wait til mid October you likely won’t see near the bucks, and especially not the better ones. They’ll be around, but most likely you won’t see them.
On top of seeing what the unit has to offer, just as important is figuring out the logistics of the unit, and the access situation.
Guys that hunt the same unit multiple times have a huge advantage over first timers. But learning new country is fun.

Some good valid points brought up, I appreciate the reply’s ! Well, my thoughts were right around a month or so out. My son is more on the week or two out plan. My biggest concern about waiting till closer to season is the archery hunters and other scouters. I just think going earlier we would get to possibly see a better representation of what’s out there. I’ve been eating tags for a few years now so if it works then great, and if it doesn’t …… I know the routine !!!

It would probably help guys give advice if we knew the unit you were referring to. If you’ve never been there, what makes you believe the deer will be in the same spot at the end of October as they are in at the first of August? That’s pretty rare in my opinion.
Yep, or even the state and season you are hunting. Way to many variables to really give a good answer

I would agree with Jake that there are a gob of variables and tough to hand out sound advice without knowing which unit, state, and a few specifics.

One thing I know from experience is that even mature sagebrush bucks tend to disappear into thin air once they shed their velvet!

The closer to the hunt you go, the more likely you may see a buck that is hanging in the area you want to hunt. It's obvious that you need to get familiar with the area before the hunt if you can, but I'm with your son. Just add that scouting trip on to the beginning of the hunt.

Well I’m guessing it’s a useless tag to a lot of people but it’s my sons senior year and he really wanted to try Utah. I do NOT want be like some on here that get crucified for asking specifics so I’m NOT going to but it’s the Nebo……???

Well I’m guessing it’s a useless tag to a lot of people but it’s my sons senior year and he really wanted to try Utah. I do NOT want be like some on here that get crucified for asking specifics so I’m NOT going to but it’s the Nebo……???
I’d come out a few days early scouting and hope you find the place you wanna be opening morning. And I’m guessing a guy or 2 with knowledge of the unit will give a place or 2 to get started. Good luck and have fun.

Don't know anything about the nebo, but if it was me I would focus on the week before to learn the area and possibly see some bucks to hunt.

Well maybe I’m wrong, maybe one longer trip would be best after all ! As in scout right before we hunt ……. Heck I don’t know !!! We’re no die hard trophy hunters by any means but we both will eat tags before we shoot anything with milk on its chin yet !!!! Should be a fun experience, just the two of us ! I appreciate the advice from all !

If you only had one chance to scout for an end of October mule deer hunt when would you go ??? Drew an area we’ve never set foot in and my son and I seem to disagree when to go look !
I'd do my scouting at the end of July, that's when the bucks will be most visible and before they get buggered too much. Learn the access points, roads, see what caliber of bucks are around, etc.

I've done my fair share of both summer scouting and showing up early and the summer scouting has always been the better option. Scouting for bucks in October is very tough. Mature bucks are not going to be very visible after having hunters walking through their homes for the previous 2 months.

Also, I think much of it depends on how long you intend to scout and hunt. If you're thinking 4-5 days of scouting and hunting the entire hunt, and you combine the two, that's a long time in the hills. Plus you could possibly wear yourself out hiking before the hunt even begins. I've shown up 4 days early for a hunt, and then spent 9 days of hunting and it can be a looooong trip, especially if it sucks.
However, if your plan is to just hunt a few days, you're not all that picky about the caliber of bucks in the unit, then just showing up early to learn access points and roads may be the best option.

The big benefit of summer scouting is that's when you'll get the best feel for what caliber of bucks are in the unit. And of course the weather is usually more pleasant in the summer.

Such a tough call and maybe all areas are different? The buck in my Avatar was my 15 year old kids target buck last year and he was with 14 other bucks. I saw him numerous times, but two weeks before the rifle hunt I lost all of them. The last time I saw him he was with a doe 2 miles from where I had initially seen him, and we never saw him or the other bucks again. Once the velvet comes off they're a totally different deer. Of course this is public land in Oregon which SUCKS!

Good luck on your hunt and scouting trip!

If your goal is to get an idea of the size and numbers of the bucks in the area, I would scout in late July or early August. If you would like to kill a buck opening morning, scout it a week before the season. Personally I would do a summer scouting trip and then get there at least a couple days before the hunt opens.

Late July early august. You will see lots of bucks and they are near the end of growing. Spend a couple days looking at bucks and another day or so checking out roads and different areas in case they drop lower.

I’ve hunted the unit once, it was 1970. ?. In those days there was usually snow by the third week of October. It snowed heavy the night before the start of the hunt. It was a wild crazy week getting all the high country camps off the unit.

The following info is 53 years old, so it should definitely be checked with more recent hunters. It’s 11,900 feet at the peek and it’s steep, but huntable. Lots of horse hunters. They hunt at and above the timber line when the snow allows them to. The foot hunters hike high and camp at the timberline. That year the bucks were at or above the timberline until the snow came the morning of the opener…… between the snow and hunting pressure they were moving lower all weekend. (However, I’m guessing but I would estimate there were 10,000 to 15,000 more mule deer on the Unit in 1970. Deer numbers are way down from then but so too are hunter numbers, by the thousands also.

Stillwater, you have been very good to help hunters who have questions about eastern Wyoming and South Dakota for many years, here on MM. I’ve read your posts for many years. If I had more to share I would definitely share it with you.

Enlight of your willingness to help many others, I hope a few of the MM folks that hunt the Nebo on a regular basis will step up and give you as much help as they can. You have certainly earned it.

Come on boys, Stillwater has earned all we can give him this time. It’s his turn, so to speak. PM him, if you’d rather, but let’s make this hunt work for him and his son.

Geez 2Lumpy there's probably a Walmart parking lot now where you hunted in 1970.

Just kidding. Great post and I too hope Stillwater gets some help.
Ha……. the country has grown but not like some areas off the State. Nephi is the county seat and it’s grow from about 4,000 to 6,500 I think. Mt. Nebo rises up at a fairly steep angle, about 1/3 of a mile from the edge of town, on the east side of Mormon 500 race track. The only parking lot that’s taken any deer habitat would be a new Church next to the race track. Other than that, it’s still pretty much off the grid.

But………. It’s most likely not going to stay that way long……….. the northern front has grown almost down to the country line.

Nothing to see here though…….. Wyoming’s much nicer and they don’t have a hostile race track to traverse. It’s true……. fact check it eel. ?

I'd do my scouting at the end of July, that's when the bucks will be most visible and before they get buggered too much. Learn the access points, roads, see what caliber of bucks are around, etc.

I've done my fair share of both summer scouting and showing up early and the summer scouting has always been the better option. Scouting for bucks in October is very tough. Mature bucks are not going to be very visible after having hunters walking through their homes for the previous 2 months.

Also, I think much of it depends on how long you intend to scout and hunt. If you're thinking 4-5 days of scouting and hunting the entire hunt, and you combine the two, that's a long time in the hills. Plus you could possibly wear yourself out hiking before the hunt even begins. I've shown up 4 days early for a hunt, and then spent 9 days of hunting and it can be a looooong trip, especially if it sucks.
However, if your plan is to just hunt a few days, you're not all that picky about the caliber of bucks in the unit, then just showing up early to learn access points and roads may be the best option.

The big benefit of summer scouting is that's when you'll get the best feel for what caliber of bucks are in the unit. And of course the weather is usually more pleasant in the summer.
Great info, I’m sure going to try and make a trip here sooner and also go early before the hunt. I have a plan to take my better half to arches park……. and scout north of there in the same trip ! Of course I’d be thrilled if my son or I could take a giant, but I’m okay with whatever it has in store for us. We’ve both ate Wyoming and a few Nebraska tags in the past so if that’s what happens so be it ! One thing that’s for sure is we will both make the most of it !

If your goal is to get an idea of the size and numbers of the bucks in the area, I would scout in late July or early August. If you would like to kill a buck opening morning, scout it a week before the season. Personally I would do a summer scouting trip and then get there at least a couple days before the hunt opens.
I’m kinda thinking I can sure make that work ! I have the time, great advice !

I’ve hunted the unit once, it was 1970. ?. In those days there was usually snow by the third week of October. It snowed heavy the night before the start of the hunt. It was a wild crazy week getting all the high country camps off the unit.

The following info is 53 years old, so it should definitely be checked with more recent hunters. It’s 11,900 feet at the peek and it’s steep, but huntable. Lots of horse hunters. They hunt at and above the timber line when the snow allows them to. The foot hunters hike high and camp at the timberline. That year the bucks were at or above the timberline until the snow came the morning of the opener…… between the snow and hunting pressure they were moving lower all weekend. (However, I’m guessing but I would estimate there were 10,000 to 15,000 more mule deer on the Unit in 1970. Deer numbers are way down from then but so too are hunter numbers, by the thousands also.

Stillwater, you have been very good to help hunters who have questions about eastern Wyoming and South Dakota for many years, here on MM. I’ve read your posts for many years. If I had more to share I would definitely share it with you.

Enlight of your willingness to help many others, I hope a few of the MM folks that hunt the Nebo on a regular basis will step up and give you as much help as they can. You have certainly earned it.

Come on boys, Stillwater has earned all we can give him this time. It’s his turn, so to speak. PM him, if you’d rather, but let’s make this hunt work for him and his son.
I sure do appreciate it !!! I’m no expert on anything but I’ve carried a rifle in eastern Wyoming and western South Dakota since I was 9 years old. I’m glad to help out if I can ! Thanks again

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom