Big buck for a youngster

Nice Job!

Looks Like A Little More Gun Than What I Started Out With!

What's The Build & Caliber?
It's a stock Ruger American Predator in 22-250, with a trigger spring upgrade. Bushnell Nitro 2.5-10 ffp, and a suppressor.

In the past I had been using 60 grain Nosler Partitions, which were amazing! Unfortunately Federal discontinued them, so on this hunt we were just using 55 grain soft points. They're fine for pretty much any shot but heavy bone, which is where her first shot was. It was low shoulder, and had we been using the Nosler's it might have gotten through into the vitals, but not with the soft points. As you can see the bone and tissue was obliterated, but it didn't punch through into the cavity. He was not feeling well, and I doubt he would have survived, but I am thankful we were able to find him and finish the job.

I truly love the 22-250 for deer and we have probably killed north of 50 deer with it. It does a lot of damage, (even in gut hits) and kills very effectively. For my kids especially, it has been great, as with the suppressor and heavier weight of the accessories, it has virtually no recoil. Very accurate as well, and I have noticed that deer don't react much to getting hit with it like they do with a .30 cal.....

However, after this hunt I decided I needed to bump them up to something with a little more penetrating power. I went with another Ruger American in the loved/hated 6.5 CM, 130 grain Barne TSX full copper bullets. We shot a total of 12 animals with that this year and I was very pleased with the results. Also using a suppressor on that as well, so it also has very little recoil. We still use the 22-250 at times, but we are using the 6.5 CM more now.

IMG_0895.jpeg

IMG_0894.jpeg

IMG_0892.jpeg

IMG_0893.jpeg

Congrats to both of you on a fun and memorable adventure.

I'm curious as to how far the buck travelled before he bedded down. Do you have an estimate? It's always good to learn a bit more if we can. Thanks.

Congrats to both of you on a fun and memorable adventure.

I'm curious as to how far the buck travelled before he bedded down. Do you have an estimate? It's always good to learn a bit more if we he can. Thanks.
He actually only bedded down about 100 yds past the fence at the top of the hill. I knew he was bad hurt, and figured bye could sneak up there and put another one in him. Part of me also thought he might be expired, because at the time I didn't know it hadn't got through into the cavity. When we got to the top of the hill he was bedded, but saw us before we saw him. He busted and we watched him go up and down a few hills before he disappeared out of sight. When we finally relocated him he had probably gone another 1000 yds, and around 1500 total?

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom