Bull down. Zach comes through again

NMPaul

I have been scouting for elk the last week or so before Zach's hunt. During that time I saw a bunch of herd bulls in the 300" to 330" range. All nice bulls, but, we knew there were some bigger ones out there.

We made the decision to back pack into a remote area and set up a camp. Earlier in the week before Zach's hunt, Kevin (the most awesome hunting buddy) helped me pack in tent, bags, water and other stuff for a cold spike camp. Friday Zach and I pack in and glass up some elk that night from the top of the mountain. Next morning we made our short hike to the top of the mountain for glassing. We saw the bull Zach got and passed, and a nice 310 bull with a rag horn.

Kevin and Jordan had hiked into the area from another mtn range and were glassing also. They saw several elk as well.

We had worked down the South west end of the mountain and the sun was coming on strong putting all the elk into the trees. Zach heard a bugle off to the south ( I am half deaf so I hear less than half the bugles he hears) and since we had nothing else going and we were in deep we decided to pursue. We headed off and it kept being in the next drainage then the next drainage. By now it is late morning and we crest a ridge. I see what looks like an elk lying down under the trees about 400 yards away.

We set up the spotting scope and are looking at it when all of a sudden I see 2 elk walking quickly from deeper in the canyon up and towards the top. I throw my binocs on them and it is a monster bull. I took one glance and knew we had to act fast. It was 400 yards away and zach got set up on the packs found him in the scope, but, just as they were going over. I tried to stop him with a bugle, but, it did not even slow him down. I never got a good look at him, but, the picture in my mind was of a 380" ???

The elk under the tree just layed there through all of that. By now it was almost noon. He had gone south away from our camp. We were already about 2 miles away. We took a break there and then headed south. We found a good hill on our gps topo to glass from so we headed there to spend the day. It was about a mile and a half away. From there we located several elk throughout the day, but, nothing good enough to go after. Our hope was that the bull would bugle and we could go after it if we recognized it.

With about 30 minutes left of shooting light Zach found the monster bull again in the spotting scope about 1500 yards away still moving south. We had no play at all. We got a little better look at him. Either it was the same bull or a different one. Zach swears it was the same as he had a split tine 7th point on one side. He was in that 370- 380 range. It was now dark and we were 4 miles from camp with no good way back.

Our plan was to hit another spot the next day. We were to pack out that night. Instead, Zach was to bushed to pack out to the truck when we got to our camp at 9:30 at night.
Spent a miserable night sweaty, low on water and food.
Next morning we went back to our glassing spot on top of the mountain and found a bull with 4 cows and a sattelite bull that looked better than the herd bull.

Zach was getting a itchy trigger finger. This was a little smaller than the average bull that I had been seeing the week before, but, I knew if he killed this bull way back in the sticks it would be a better memory.

We hiked down our mountain and up the mountain he was on keeping the wind in our favor. We could not find him so we circled over the top and came out on a ridge that looked back into the trees we thought he laid down in.

I spotted him and he was staring straight at us at 300 yards. We snuck in a little closer. I verified it was the herd bull. By the time I could put my ear plugs in that were already around my neck and find him in the binocs, Zach had our packs on the ground and took the shot at 290 yards.

I watched in my binocs. I heard the thump of the bullet, and then a crash. Zach had threaded the needle through the trees and I watched him tip over.

Zach was pumped.

Kevin hiked in and packed out 2 huge loads of elk. My wife also came in and packed out a load. Zach and I took 2 loads out. I boned out the bull and we got it all wrapped up last night

Here is the money shots.

Final resting spot. The bull face planted into a dead tree.
2010ZachsElk004.jpg

Disclosure. these pics make him look bigger than he actually is. But you can see I did not need to tell Zach to smile

2010ZachsElk009.jpg

The glory load

2010ZachsElk013.jpg

Did I tell you what a great hunting buddy Kevin is?

2010ZachsElk017.jpg

I wish that was a bunch of clothes stuffed in my shirt, but, its where fat goes when you strap on over 100 lbs of elk and cape.

2010ZachsElk015.jpg

AWESOME PICTURES AND STORY! congrats to u all! I believed Zach was pumped to see his elk down!

glad u had great buddy to help out and way cool of your wife to help!

2 tags to go!!

again..congrats..

vinihunt

Great story Paul, Congrats Zach on a very nice bull. makes me jealous. Looks like the same area I have hunted in, in the past. There are some very nice bulls in there. Again congrats.

"I wish that was a bunch of clothes stuffed in my shirt, but, its where fat goes when you strap on over 100 lbs of elk and cape."

good one Pops.

Congrats to Zach. He's one heck of a hunter.

LAST EDITED ON Oct-04-10 AT 12:12PM (MST)[p]Congratulations. Very nice looking bull!

That bull is bigger than anything I've ever shot and I'm 42.

I would love to change that within the next month with my Unit 36 late rifle tag though! ;-)

Great story and great pictures. His face shows just how proud he is of his kill. Nice bull and great job!

I am very jelous of this kid. He has got some amazing animals at such a young age. Paul you are doing an amazing job with that boy keep up the good work and tell him congrats on another amazing animal.

sounds like a great hunt, Nice looking bull.
Good job Zach.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

Great story and nice Bull, congrats to Zach & Dad.

Been thinking Paul should adopt some more "kids", like some 50-something year-old kids, like me.

Great job guys way to get it done , and a big time congrats to Zach! Loved the story, loved the pics! Thanks for sharing it...Again congrats to you all but Zachs da man!

WOW!!! Good Job Congrats on a nice Bull young man!!
I do have a question did NM Paul cut his leg or is that blood from the Elk? LOL good job guys keep up the good work!!

You get a little bloody after boning and caping out a elk. I think I grossed Kevin out a little when I was sitting in the middle of that eating a sandwich my wife brought up to us. He stopped offering me them plastic gloves. :)

That's Awesome!
I leave in the morning for my son's youth hunt in unit 17.
I can only hope it turn's out as well as Zach's.

Love to see the kid's doing so well.

Great job guys!
HH

Excellent job Zach and the crew. NMPaul keep up the great work with the kids! I hope I can do the same on my sons deer hunt the end of the month.

Congrats again on a great bull!

I love these Father-Son hunts! Great bull Zach! I know you and your Dad will have this memory forever.
I have an 8 year old gtandson and we promised to make a
elk hunt together when he reaches the proper age. How old is
Zach? Is this 16B it kinda looks like it if I remember correctly

Fine job on a great bull!

Griz

Did you put a tape on him?

I'm thinking I would have a pretty hard time passing on a bull like that on my Unit 36 rifle hunt coming up at the end of the month.

I've told myself I wanted to hold out for a 320" bull, but I think I would drop the hammer on one that pretty.

If I were to guess on score I would put him somewhere between 300" - 310". Am I anywhere close?

Thanks, Nathan

Zach is 12 and got his first buck at 8.

We are guessing the bull is pushing 300".

Unit 34.

Thanks for all the nice comments it was a great time. Starts again this weekend!

Great job Zach you always seem to make it happen. Paul isn't hunting with kids better than hunting ourselves...you should be proud of him, as I'm sure you are.

CONGRATS to Zach & You Paul for all the work you did to make it a sucessful hunt!! That is GREAT!! Kudos to Kevin for being such a great friend!! Times like that you know who the REAL Friends are!! Again CONGRATS to ALL!!!

Congrats on a sweet animal! Zach is the man! I hope I can be half the hunter that young man is someday...lol! Congrats guys, very well deserved.

>Great bull and story, Paul.
>Those are lifetime memories!
>Let me know if you
>see the bull in the
>bowl that we spotted Sunday.
>

Sandhill, I sure appreciate that call from you that night. I plan on going out there and checking tomorrow morning.
Sending you a pm.

Congrats Zack,Great Bull! He's been kicking butt and taking names.

Joe

"Sometimes you do things wrong for so long you think their right"

-Joe E Sikora

Zach...

I think it's time to put up the rifle and Smokepole and start the stick and string thing. Looks like the other two weapon choices are too easy!

Congrats!!!

Terry

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom