CA fishing trip before hunting season kicks off

NMPaul

Scratched the fishing itch before hunting season.

We custom made our trip with just myself and Zach and staying in Avalon one night and fishing the morning of the second day so we could catch our flight home.

Joe was great in regards to customizing our trip to what we wanted to do and within our time frame. We had live anchovies and squid. This was a meat fishing trip because I wanted nice fillets to take home. We limited on some hammer calicos, got some real nice rock fish, white fish, sheeps head. Couple short lings.

It was my call to only take a half hearted try at yellow tail, so we only gave it about 45 minutes before Zach and I wanted to go back to just catching.

We came into Avalon and had a great lunch and then out again for the evening.

Way better than the cattle boats.

Really miss the clear blue water of the pacific. Last 5 years been fishing LA for red fish and it is tea colored and very little variety in the fish you catch.

This was a great climax to our fishing season and the way to kick off hunting season. Bear starts August 1.

2013Catalina014_zps4f33c368.jpg

2013Catalina011_zpsb9e3458a.jpg

2013Catalina013_zps903c992a.jpg

2013Catalina012_zpsccd9ea08.jpg

We also caught an angel game the night before with the best seats I have ever had thanks to ebay. Course they lost, but, it was good to see a game after so many years.

2013Catalina008_zps1d7e0cfa.jpg

2013Catalina002_zps3c294ec8.jpg

Pujols doing what he does best.

2013Catalina010_zpsd71090ee.jpg

Paul you're lookin good in that last pic you lost some lbs.
Way to go... I need to do the same... maybe fishing trip will help.
Going up to CO soon will let you know what we see.

Jack

>Paul you're lookin good in that
>last pic you lost some
>lbs.
>Way to go... I need to
>do the same... maybe fishing
>trip will help.
>Going up to CO soon will
>let you know what we
>see.
>
>Jack

Jack, I wish!! I have put on almost 30lbs since last elk season. That trip did not help.
I am gonna suffer on my CO Mt. Goat hunt. I am thinking it is gonna be like the Floridas for Ibex, but, at 14000 ft. :(

Got a little over a month to get my act together.

In my favor is that I have been shed hunting at least once a week for the last few months and I plan on covering some ground still hunting bear in the next month.

I think I speak for many of us on the forum here....I am super envious of your son!
Great pictures and thanks for sharing.

Cool trip Paul! Good eats there!
And Zach is really growing! Geez I couldn't hardly believe it when you told me he got his Lic.!I thought it was you when he answered the phone.....

Great pics, Paul!

I'd never seen the Pacific until the end of June this year and got the royal treatment by doing a "work" trip to Kodiak, Alaska. I'm spoiled now! The plan is to go back for a week or so next summer if I can swing it. We did a day trip with Dave Ardinger at Fish N Chips Charters....awesome guy. Limited on hali's in less than an hour (14 of 'em up to about 35 pounds), 15 cod up to about 12 pounds and 16 black rockfish in 5 minutes because we had to cut fishing short for an early return trip.

We saw a school of herring nervous on the surface and I asked if it was maybe kings under them and Dave said to watch. Next thing you know, a couple humpbacks busted up through them less than 200 yards from the boat LOL!

I grew up down in southeast Texas and the muddy water around Galveston is NOTHING compared to what I saw in Alaska. Maybe I should pack up my tools and spend a few years up there turning wrenches on float planes.

Phil

phil, great thing about the Pacific is the variety of fish you might catch and the water is crystal clear.
I think we worked a deal for next year also. Captain wants to go hunting out here next year.

Paul you're making me jealous. Spent a LOT of time on Brantley this summer catching small cats. I wanna give that ocean fishing a go one of these days. Spent last three days in your neck of the woods. It's looking very good up there.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom