Cache Moose Hunt

M

micalbracken

For someone who never wins anything, I was shocked to learn that I'd drawn a Cache bull moose permit on a $5 raffle at the Western Hunting Expo a few weeks ago. I live in Salt Lake, but I'm not familiar with that area. Has anyone hunted that unit before or know anything about it? Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Not nearly as good as it used to be. You find a 40" bull sit on it and kill it as soon as you have a chance. Lots of 30" bulls but not the bigger bulls like there used to be. Any moose tag is a good tag but you will have your work cut out for you to get a top end bull.

That's what I've been hearing. Still a few good bulls out there, but getting harder and harder to find. How familiar are you with that unit? I've heard that White Pine Lake and the area north of Tony Grove is a good place to start. Any thoughts?

I just PM'ed you my number. I would be happy to give you several areas of where I would start.

There are still a few good ones in the unit. I know one area thats about a one mile hike in. A few years back, when I had an elk tag, I saw a really good one in the area, as well a some other smaller bulls.

Its been quite a few years back, but my dad took a 47" bull on this unit. I will tell you the exact location(s).

Good luck and a big congrat's!!

I had the tag last year, and saw lots of bulls. I would be more than happy to let you know what I saw. I did pass on several 40 inch bulls, in hopes of the big 50" bulls. I shot a last day bull that was just under 40". I can tell you that there are a few bulls over 50" on that unit still, but they are few and far between.

I plan to spend a lot of time up there this summer as soon as the snow melts. Any advice on some good spots to start looking?

LAST EDITED ON Mar-28-10 AT 12:50PM (MST)[p]My advice is don't spend too much time scouting up there. I scouted from mid July until the hunt opened, and I can tell you that it was wasted time. Sure it was fun to be up in the mountains and I did see a few moose, but after the rut started and the leaves fell off of the trees I would see more bulls in a day then I did all summer. If your time is limited then I would also focus on the last part of the hunt instead of the first. I saw over 40 different bull on my hunt, and most of them were in the latter part of the hunt. If you do insist on scouting early, send me a message and I will let you know some good areas.

I still plan to spend a lot of time up there this summer, but that's mostly because I'm not familiar with that area. I need to learn roads, trails, camping spots, etc. And to make things more complicated, I also drew an elk tag in Wyoming that opens the same day as the second half of the moose hunt in October. So I was planning to hunt hard in September and hopefully still make the elk hunt. But based on your experience, it sounds like that might not be such a good idea. I PM'ed you my number. If you get some time, I'd love to talk more about it.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom