Calif. non resident points

NickW

Does Cal F&G website show max points for either res or non res big game points? I have 5 points and am considered a non resident. What do you think of my chances to draw a non resident elk tag?

There's one nonresident elk tag allowed for the whole state for all three subspecies...So pretty poor no matter what. Hell, pretty poor for me as a max point resident, but... I think they do the preference draw before the random, so if one nonresident with max points hits any elk tag, you are out...It's a completely stingy allowance of nonresident elk tags, especially considering how many of us CA residents go out of state to hunt elk. I think all states should at at least allow that 10% of the quota be open nonresidents.

I question if any non resident has max elk points, which I believe would be eight. It very well could be though.
I had max points, (5), when I left Kali and moved to Idaho in 07. I still have my 5 points and wonder if the non resident one tag draw would work the same as the resident draw with any accumulated points counting!
I think a call the F&G is warrented.

I believe it is possible for a NR to max elk points. In order for it to be possible, they would have been a resident up to the time they made the regulation changes which allow NR to apply for elk. The request that their resident points be converted to NR points.

I left Calif one year too early (2005) and had one year where NR could not apply. In all likelyhood I will always have one less than max forever, but you can't win if you don't play. Thats okay, I'll take the NR sheep tag instead...

Apply for a hunt with only one tag then it doesnt matter how many points you have.

Yes it does..They do the preference draw first. If one nonresident draws any elk tag, all other nonresidents are out. But there may not be enough max point nonresidents to draw a tag..There has to be quite a few for it to be likely for one to draw a preference tag..

LAST EDITED ON Apr-05-10 AT 10:09PM (MST)[p]In other words, if there are no non resident applicants with 8 points, it's useless to apply? That's assuming that all residents that do get drawn will have applied with 8 points. Just like Oregon?
Obviously I'm not talking about cow hunts!

Hunts with only 1 tag for California elk hunts do not take preference points into consideration. Everyone is equal on those hunts regardless of points. A non-resident was drawn last year for elk and I think the year before that as well and also antelope. It really boils down to your random number, if you have a good random number your chances of getting a tag go up (obviously). The one tag deal is what was left over after an Assembly Bill went through and got edited. DFG does not write the bills we only are allowed to comment on them. If I recall correctly that bill started out with a bunch of other stuff most of which got deleted and that was what was left. It all started over the suing of Arizona (?) over percent of non-resident tags. All western states took a look at their non-resident policy at that time CA had no opportunity for non-residents to obtain elk and antelope tags outside of fund raising tags or PLM tags.

Joe

One more thing, it is not a guarantee a NR will get a tag just up to one tag. DFG does not differentiate between NR and Resident, all the points are in the same pot.

Joe

Like said before apply for a unit with one tag and your chances are as good as they will get were all the same.

I'm a non-resident with max points for elk and sheep. Moved in 2007 and had my points transferred to my AZ driver license number. It just means I'm in the max point pool with all the residents with the one tag non-resident restriction.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

California Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Offering some fine Blacktail Deer hunting, Wild Pig hunts, Turkey hunts and Waterfowl hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer the top private land hunts in all of California, for blacktail deer, elk, pigs, bison and turkeys.

G & J Outdoors

Offering Tule elk hunts for bulls and cows on a 17,000 acre Ranch in Laytonville, CA with 100% success.

Back
Top Bottom