calling moutain lions

• Thread starter Oregon Fishing Guide
  • Start date
O

Oregon Fishing Guide

Hey Everyone,

We just had a guy come and speak at our club about calling mountain lions and was this interesting. He uses a call made by Wildlife Technology and with the remote that it has he can get far enough away from the sound. he said a lot of the calls out there that are wireless can not get a good signal very far away. This call he has can get out a 100yards and more. he has called in a lot of cats. he was telling us that a person would be completely surprised of how many lions come in while calling coyotes. he said they come in and leave just that fast. The movement of any sort with send those cats away.

Do any of you do any lion calling? If so, what tactics have you learned, if you would share them? I am going to get one of these calls and get after this. Calling cats has got to be as much of a rush as running hounds. Thanks and let's hear some stories.

God bless and see you in the outdoors,

Jon and Stacy Ball
Oregon Fishing and Wyoming hunting
www.jonsoutdoors.com
1-877-347-4662
503-668-5697

What sounds did he say he used to call them in? My call has deer fawn, pig, jackrabbit, rabbit, mouse, ect. Just wondering what I should be using to call in a cat.

LAST EDITED ON Jul-14-09 AT 03:48PM (MST)[p]I used the terminator mouth predator call its shiny chrome. The first time I used it I had a cat stalking me at 40 yard scared the piss out of me! I screwed the shoot up cause i quit calling when I pulled my gun up. This whole process took about ten minutes its was amazing how qick that cat appeared out of know where.I did know the cat was in the area.

Arizona Game Calls - T2 Terminator Deluxe (cottontail distress with coaxer)

Hey BB, he used different sounds depending on the time of the year. It sounds like you have the right ones. He used the rabbit in the winter and the fawn calls in teh spring.

Time2hunt, that is too close. that is why the long wireless remote works so well. He uses a twirlling tail of something and puts it right by the sound box to get the cats attention. That is the cool part because he has got to see the full stalk of the cat hunting that twirlling tail. I can't wait to get going on this. Here in Oregon we have so many cats that a person can go up and look for them like you would a bear. I was bow hunting elk over on the coast a couple years ago and in 5 days I seen 4 lions and 2 bears. That is just unheard of. I have never killed a lion and I am drooling at doing this. I am looking for someone to trade me a lion hunt for an antelope hunt. But, no takers yet. Anyway, talk to you guys later and stay safe out there.

God bless and see you in the outdoors,

Jon and Stacy Ball
Oregon Fishing and Wyoming hunting
www.jonsoutdoors.com
1-877-347-4662
503-668-5697

LAST EDITED ON Jul-18-09 AT 10:28PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Jul-18-09 AT 10:27?PM (MST)

NVMULEDEER1
I got a friend who has a Minaska electronic call and he swears by it with the dogs. He has there Ultimate One with the little stuff toy on a wire that moves when it's on. so i'm thinking it might do pretty good with the cats.

I think you will be fine with any of the better e callers but a lot of the cougar callers swear by the WT sounds.

I think I'm going to try the E-caller way this year
for cat's. If anyone can point me to a good area in Nevada I would appreciate it.

Not sure what part of Nevada you are in but I have heard that the Jarbridge area has a healthy number of big cats.
JadgBob

I'm in Reno, so Jarbridge isn't a hard hunt for me. so it looks like I'll heading up there when the snow fly's. I cant wait!!!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom