Camp Food Ideas

Ltsheets

Very Active Member
So it looks like I'm getting the green light this year to take off and hunt the entire early archery season. I've done 7-8 days in the field before eating nothing but mountain house meals for dinner and been just fine but if I'm out there the whole season this year, I'm trying to mix in some non-mtn house meals. I'm looking for what you guys favorite easy camp meals might be. I'm also not looking for the kind that require fire or a stove for more than just reheating in hot water. Thoughts?

Have you looked at the Heather's choice meals? I watched a podcast on them and then looked at the website. Similar to mtn house but seem to be better for you. They are also a little more expensive. I think I am going to order a few and try them out on a scouting trip.

I always take green chili stew, can freeze it and keep it on either dry ice or reg ice and it holds frozen so Im able to throw it on a pot and fire it up days into the hunt.Perfect with some really good rolls or tortillas, and after a hard day on the mountain , its awesome sitting at the camp fire relaxing while it warms...My other go to , is home made chicken soup, same deal.....Really filling , real easy to warm and and just replenishes/reloads the body with awesomeness!!!Theres more but Im curious what others will share...

All year long I make food & put some in Ziplocks,tupperware and just thaw and heat.
Elk stew,Green Chili stew,Pasole,Spaggetti .
Easy peasy.
I have Mtn House as back up,haven't needed any in 6 yrs.

I think "supplements" are the key to living on freeze-dried food. The concept worked well for 6 weeks in northern Sask.

If I'm packing in and don't plan to resupply, I supplement the freeze-dried with 1) some fresh fruit and vegetables for the first few days, 2) custom spices always, and 3) regular groceries that will survive w/o much refrigeration, such as hard cheeses, cured sausage, yogurt, tortillas, sturdy crackers, cookies, hard candies, etc. If I let these run out, then I suffer freeze-dried for the rest of the trip.

If I am car-camping, I like home-cooked meals in freezer bags. I pull a bag of dinner out of the cooler in the morning and in the evening I just drop it in hot water to warm it up. I also choose to cook a few meals. Pasta dishes are really easy, and there is absolutely no acceptable freeze-dried or pre-prepared alternative to bacon fried eggs.

You, on the other hand, should just grill up tenderloins on the first evening and be done with it all.

But that would make the hunting part of the trip too short, wouldn't it?

Chile colorado. You can do the same as others have stated. But definitely like to make that every trip.

*We are all in the same boat, just
wishing to be hunting right now!*

LAST EDITED ON May-07-16 AT 09:10AM (MST)[p]When I run out of ideas I always throw in some KFC chicken in seal a meal bags. Freeze and reheat in boiling water.

BBQ ribs
Lasagne
Spegetti
Polenta and stew
Chicken and dumplings
Corn on the cob is always good too

Couple cans of veggies also in bags

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom