Careful Out There!

Bow6x6

I took my Son to D6 last weekend rifle deer hunting. For those of you who don't know D6 is in Northern CA and runs from the valley floor all the way up to the high country in the Sierra Nevada range. We spent the night in the back of the truck at 6000' and walked into an area we had never been before. It was a very steep climb choked with manzanita brush and areas of old growth with tons of deadfall. We were working our way through this to get to an area I had been eyeing for years on maps and glassing from across the canyon. We had climbed up to 7000' through this crap and about to give up and turn back when something caught our eye. It was a orange juice jug in a cluster of trees about 50 yards away. As we approached we started to realize this was a camp. We started seeing pots and bowls and trash. At this point I'm thinking it is someones hunting camp but couldn't imagine why anyone would be hunting in this sh!t let alone set up camp. I'm sure most of you have already figured out what it is I'm describing but it never crossed my mind. I have been hunting this high country for 30 years and never seen anything quite like this. So as we get into this mess we find black plastic hoses, potting soil, fertilizer, shovel, pick, hoe, saw, tent, sleeping bag and tons of trash. Now, let me say that we had approached very cautiously even though we thought it to be a hunting camp. So by the time I realized that it was a pot growing operation I already could tell that there was no recent activity. I took a few photos, saved it on my GPS and we headed back down. I've notified the Forest Service who put me in contact with the proper law enforcement and have sent them the details. They were very interested and will definitely investigate. They said that these small rugged area camps like we found are Mexican Cartel organized operations and the growers will absolutely shoot you dead without hesitation. Thank God there was no activity at the time we were there. So the message is be careful out there. If they're at 7000' in rugged country then they could be anywhere.

Brad

I ran into a similar camp in northern California about 7 years ago. These people are ruining our forests and creating an ecological nightmare in our streams and rivers! The worst part of my experience was seeing the evidence of poaching that the drug cartels were committing while they were conducting their illegal grows. Made me want to hang them by their toes and leave them for the vultures!

I found one in the Yollys this year. Three miles from the trail head. It had just been harvested as they know when the deer season opens.Probably about 500 plants or so. The Border brothers grow their "Chit" outside as the whitetrash destroy their rentals and grow it under lights.As far as any dumb ass Illegal capping me when Im out deer hunting they better get up real early, bring a big lunch and get me with their very 1st shot.Because my 140grn barnes will bust their ass at very long and short distances. BH1

+100 BuckHunter

They would have no trouble finding the caretakers!!!

I lived in a small town here in Cali, where a couple of redneck okies (same as me but I think im alittle more civilized) decided to steal some plants from a grove they found out by the river. Needless to say they learned the hardway as one took a couple of bullets in the leg and the other was shot in the ankle. The "hear say" was the caretakers had semi-automatic rifles of some sort and were never caught. The cops confinscated around 1500 plants just before the harvest timing.

Something needs to be done about this stuff. not only are their ruining the forest, but I hear the shot the deer that go into their groves. We should treat them like coyotes and shoot'em and hang up on the fence to scare the other ones away.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

California Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Offering some fine Blacktail Deer hunting, Wild Pig hunts, Turkey hunts and Waterfowl hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer the top private land hunts in all of California, for blacktail deer, elk, pigs, bison and turkeys.

G & J Outdoors

Offering Tule elk hunts for bulls and cows on a 17,000 acre Ranch in Laytonville, CA with 100% success.

Back
Top Bottom