Central RAC lowers ded.hunter hours

nebo12000

The Central RAC voted to lower the Dedicated Hunter hours to 32. The hours must be completed by the 2nd year to get your 2nd year tag. Now we will see if the Wildlife Board will go with it. There are currently only 6700 Dedicated Hunter program participants, well under the 10,000 cap.

Reducing the hours required was a good thing. Requiring the hours to be done before the second tag was too much. It allows very few hours to be done the first year and none the third year. It could create a huge spike and dip in hours from year to year.

Also, what if they gave 15% of the tags over a 3 year period? Say 5% each year for 3 years for NEW DH hunters. That way people know approx how many tags are available each year (rather than filling a unit's quota in one year) and the UDWR can keep the hours on a stable, predictable level.

If the WB approves the lower hours, I think they would change the the hours requirement to something like 8/16/8. We were just trying to help the DWR not have to chase down the DHers who filled their tags the first two years but didn't complete the final 8 hours for the third year.

Looks like the dwr got a little geedy, and now want the man hours. I like the program just wish every project would help the muley deer directly.

LAST EDITED ON May-18-11 AT 06:32PM (MST)[p]I've got mixed feelings on the program. Almost seems like they are trying to phase it out anyway. They double the required hours and in the past couple of years it seems like its tougher to get your hours in.

I talked to a different agency today that I've used several times to get my hours and they said they are not approving "these project" anymore. I'm all for the projects directly helping out deer, but if you look at some of the projects they do approve it just don't make a lot of sense.

Depending on what region you live in you may have to deal with a person that is less than pleasant too.:)

ps. Nebo, Why would they have to chase people down if they can't apply again until they do there hours? Isn't that the rule?
a20792b12a43280588e9ae_s.JPG

Elkhaholic- The requirement currently is set up so that you could finish the last 8 hours in your 3rd year. However, if you fill your tag in the first 2 years you would not get a tag for the third year-- there is then no incentive to complete the final 8 hours so you can get a tag. But, it is contractual in nature and the DWR sent out about 700 letters to DHers stating the requirement to complete the hours or -- I am assuming-- that they would have to pay for those hours.

The incentive to finish hours is simply that a person can not apply for any permits until they complete their hours. So if I harvest the first 2 years I can either not complete the hours for the final year and never draw another tag in Utah or I finish the hours (service or purchase) so I can continue to apply in the draw. At least that is how the Rep explained it.

Some of the popular units are going to get ugly as far as drawing a tag.

Nebo- You guys had some thoughtful discussion on the matter and came out with some good ideas.

If you dont take care of all the requirements your not eligible for a regular general tag or le tag until you agreement with the DH program is taken care of, either pay or work the hours.

4b1db2ac644136c4.jpg

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom