Choose a pack from the following:

wymoose

I am looking for a new pack for the upcoming year. I am looking for a smaller pack (2000) or so inches and have the ability to pack out an animal. Here is what I've narrowed it down to: Eberlestock X2, Badlands 2200, or the mainbeam /mainbeam xl. I don't want a pack as big as the XL and was wondering about the Mainbeam, if it is able to pack meat and cape and horns. Does anyone know where to get good deals on these, what vendors carry these packs in Utah?

I've had and used a bunch of packs, including a most from badlands and the eberlestock just one. I currently use the mystery ranch crew cab and I like it the best. I can't comment on the mainbeam, as I don't have any experience with it.

The problem I had with my eberlestock was that I felt disconnected from my load due to the dead space created there by the rifle scabbard. Other than that the pack was fantastic. I havent used the X2 but it looks like it would be great for what you described.

Badlands are also great packs, and I can also recommend the 2200. I still have the monster day and the 4500 and have had several others, including the 2200, and sold them off.

I'd try on each and see which gave you the best options you are looking for, if you can find them. Sight unseen I'd go with the eberlestock for your application, followed closely by the badlands.

Of course...the best is still the mystery ranch. :)

I'd go with the 09 Mainbeam for sure. It is a meat hauler, it will haul your head and cape, bow, gun, spotting scope, tripod, you name it. It is also newly re-designed. I am going to purchase this pack for sure. They are sold at Sportsmans, Cabela's or their showroom is just off 90th south in the salt lake valley and I believe you could buy one direct from them.

I know quite a few people who have switched from Badlands to Horn Hunter and say that they wouldn't go back. I have the Mainbeam XL right now, but I want something a little smaller to be my primary pack, so I'm going with the regular Mainbeam.

}}-SLIVER-->

All the packs you mentioned are exceptional day packs. Each have little subtle features that make them unique. All are tough enough to haul heavy loads as well.

It comes down to fit, and the features you as a hunter desire.

I now carry Horn Hunter packs as well as Eberlestock, Badlands, and Blacks Creek and offer an un-advertised discount to Monster Muley members.

Ed
www.huntpacks.com

As stated above mystery ranch packs are second to none, but the price range is a little hefty. For the money you cant beat the Badlands 2200, with dual vertical stays and double stitched seams it a winner. They boat a lifetime warranty and the rep is extremely helpful with all the customers I have ever sent him. That being said if your looking for the absolute best and price isnt an issue the mystery ranch packs are pretty sweet.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-21-09 AT 02:37PM (MST)[p]I've tried everyone of those packs except the HH. The eberlestock x2 is non adjustable, if you have a short torso...I mean short it may work. Badlands are great packs but the layout on the 2200 is'nt what I was lookin for. I love my superday, but the lack of an internal frame kills it for me. I recently bought a Mystery Ranch Super Sweet, its about 1900ci....Now that is about the sweetest thing I've ever had on my back. Having a fully adjustable harness that TRULEY fits cannot be overstated. Most people are'nt aware of MR's smaller packs. They offer quite a few in the sizes your looking for. Over the years I just keep realizing the cheaper gear is just that.....You get what you pay for.

Edit....P.S. I only paid about 275 for my Mystery Ranch. Not all there packs cost 600 like the crew cab and the larger packs. Very comparible to badlands considering the upgrades you get......Fully adjustable, better internal frame and harness, better quality...more padding....more stout waistbelt, and the same warranty.

"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

Thanks for the info guys. I appreciate it. I've only heard great things about Mystery Ranch packs, I guess the only complaint is that they are a little heavier, but that's worth it because they are so sturdy. I just need to make it somewhere where I can put my hands on a few and see how they fit. My brother just got a 2200. I like it, but the design isn't quite blowing my hair back. I'll have to check out the MR packs, then talk my wife into letting me spend 300 bucks on a backpack. Wish me luck.

I have the eblerstock and it has done a great job for me. It can carry a load.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

Have you considered the Badlands 2800 since it opens up to carry quarters?

Not on your list is the Blacks-Creek Alaskan or Canadian, which zips open and expands to carry a quarter? They are also torso length adjustable. If they are not full with your gear, you can always cinch them down with the compression straps.
http://blacks-creek.com/www/JH CanP.html
http://blacks-creek.com/www/JH ALP.html

I have the Mystery Ranch NICE with load sling and 5500 pack, and used it to pack out a whole antelope plus gear last fall.

RR

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom