CO Unit 76 Fire Closure

No shortage fires already. Likely make for several bans again this year.

"Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway."

Areas are only closed due to the active fire. After the fire is out or moves on to Wyoming they will reopen the area. Some roads may still be closed for awhile but the actual land won't be.

Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

Let me guess, you drive a 1 ton with oak trees for smoke stacks, 12" lift kit and 40" tires to pull a single place lawn mower trailer?

LAST EDITED ON Jun-23-13 AT 06:26PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Jun-23-13 AT 06:24?PM (MST)

Depends on the amount of cover burned and the intensity of the fire. A few years back after the missionary ridge fire (just west of the current fire), they closed the area due to being unsafe when it rained, and I am pretty sure they closed the whole area for several years.

EDIT: thanks for the straight poop Orion. I thought it was closed for at least one hunting season. Shows how good my memory is

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

Missionary ridge only had the road closed that fall after the fire. It was opened the following spring. Also many people hiked in there and had a very successful fall with the road being closed.

Well that sucks. I had a hotel reserved in South Fork for the 3rd, was going to go backpacking for 4 days in the weminuche, guess we'll have to figure something else out quick.

LAST EDITED ON Jun-25-13 AT 08:48AM (MST)[p]I have corrected this again:
The Southeast part of the Weminuche is not open either. Ken

LAST EDITED ON Jun-25-13 AT 08:46AM (MST)[p]The closure also includes parts of units 77, 78, 79 and 80. Ken

I have updated this post to remove units 75 and 751 which are not closed.

They are saying it may burn all summer. It would suck if I had a special draw tag in 76. Moose, Elk, Bighorn Sheep---Squaw Creek is burning now----that's good moose country. It started in sheep unit 15, that's burned. It's just so SAD.

Looks like Sheep unit 16 is closed. That's where I killed my ram. DAMN, DAMN--lots of beautiful country going up in flames.

Personally after the awful fire management practice in place for the last 120 years. What can a person expect?
May sound cold hearted and mean but I hope this fire burns all the way to wyoming and clears out all the fuel being stored up. Get this crap over and get some good habitat going again!

Mntman

Let me guess, you drive a 1 ton with oak trees for smoke stacks, 12" lift kit and 40" tires to pull a single place lawn mower trailer?

The Southwest side of the Weminuche is OPEN. The parts of the wilderness in units 75 and 751 are not closed. Ken

"The Weminuche is OPEN on the Columbine District of the San Juan National Forest. This includes Chicago Basin, the Durango/Silverton Train, Colorado Trail, Vallecito Creek, and Pine River Trails."

http://www.fs.usda.gov/alerts/sanjuan/alerts-notices

I still wouldn't want to park my truck somewhere and go in the back country for a week, might come back to a crispy truck.

mntman that'd be a helluva long way for a fire to travel, from the Weminuche all the way across the state to reach Wyoming!

I had a sheep tag in S15 a few years back. The guys who drew this year must be feeling sick. Will be interesting to see what happens with those hunts. But the main concern is whether those herds are ok down there.

>mntman that'd be a helluva long
>way for a fire to
>travel, from the Weminuche all
>the way across the state
>to reach Wyoming!
>
yep, and I realize it couldn't do it in one summer but the entire area between there and WY needs to be burnt... sarcasim don't work well on here ;-)

Mntman

The fire increased by 18 square miles yesterday. The Papoose part of the fire crossed the continental divide South into Williams Creek (Unit 77) yesterday. Before yesterday there had been a few days with slower growth. They are holding some ground to the Northwest. They reduced the closure area July 3 on the Northeast and Northwest sides. The link shows the new closure area. Ken
http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprdb5426768.pdf

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom