Colorado Elk Migration

Coloradoboy

Very Active Member
Just wondering if anyone has seen the elk migration already starting to take part such as I have up here in North Western Colorado.

LAST EDITED ON Oct-30-06 AT 11:21AM (MST)[p]Well, yes I guess you can say that for 74 and 75 areas.

We saw 2 cows the whole second season, hunted lots of dark timber and steep ground and nothing. Jumped one small herd of 8-10 elk on last day, never did see what they were.

Then you go down in the valley and there are approximately a total of 800-1,000 head of elk down there on private ground.

I'm getting fed up with elk hunting in Colorado as the last 3 years I've seen a total of about 10 live elk on public lands.
The DOW needs to start doing something about all the elk herding up on private grounds.

Every one I talk to says the same thing about the amount of game they are seeing, in this area anyways. This is getting to be BS and I'm getting tired of donating my money every year to the DOW.

I hope the rest of Colorado is not getting as bad as GMU 74 and 75. I did hear good reports of the first season for 75 but that was it.

DOW needs to quit teaching them how to read private property signs. That has to be the only reason they are all down there where it is safe.

Seems like each time I hunt Northwest Colorado for elk there is less and less of em up there. I think it is getting to the point to where they all leave to the Three Forks Ranch and over to Wyoming.

Time to win the lotto and buy some land I guess..

Justin

- Long-Range, The next best thing to being there !!!!

"DOW needs to quit teaching them how to read private property signs. That has to be the only reason they are all down there where it is safe."

Yes that is why they are down there, but it is getting to be an issue, especially with many hunters who witness it.

Like I said, I'm tired of donating my money and while the DOW thinks they have all these elk, personally I don't think the hunting is as good as they say it is, because it is not.

99% of the hunters I talk to say the same thing, just don't see as many elk as you used to 10-15 years ago.

LAST EDITED ON Oct-30-06 AT 02:43PM (MST)[p] I HUNTED UNIT 75 FIRST ELK ONLY SEASON, I SAW 9 BULLS BY 8;30 AM.....A HAD ANOTHER BULL IN THE TREES BUGLEING I NEVER SAW. BUT I GOT A LITTLE TOO PICKEY. IT JUST DEPENDS WHERE YOU WERE HUNTING. YD.

LAST EDITED ON Oct-30-06 AT 03:57PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Oct-30-06 AT 03:54?PM (MST)

I'm not sure if I specified but the elk usually are not in the valley until about the second or third day after first season kicks off. I live here and witness it every year.

So did you shoot one of those bulls or not, I also take it they were together since you saw all those bulls by 8:30 am?

BTW, we are putting in for the first season next year.

I DID NOT SHOOT A BULL OR A COW, BUT PASSED UP A FEW CHANCES. HAD A LOT OF FUN TOO. SHOULD HAVE SHOT A FAT COW, BUT HELD OUT. WE DID TAKE A 7X7, 2- 6X6 BULLS. YD.

LAST EDITED ON Oct-30-06 AT 04:45PM (MST)[p]Great job, I did hear they slaughtered them the first season.
Did you post pics of that 7x7? Was he a big one? I've never seen a 7x7 in this area but have heard of one or two!

Which is why we are going to try that season next year. I just know the second and third seasons have really sucked the last 5 years here. And I can assure you it is not for a lack of trying either! lol.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom