Colorado San Juan archery elk

HuntNoil805

Hey guys looking for someone who has been in the wilderness areas of 751 Colorado...looking for information on elk numbers and what to expect if we pack in there...pressure, elk numbers, realistic bull size, hikers etc...

Decent amount of elk if you put in the time finding them. Depends when you go as to where they will be. First week of season you can pattern them in the high country and use glassing to your advantage. Don't be afraid of hiker traffic. Some of the best spots I've hunted in Colorado have been near heavily hiked areas. Be at your glassing spots at first light and last light. It doesn't take the elk long to get back into the timber. Realistic size depends on your wants. I love elk meat and hunting with archery equipment, so anything is a trophy. That said I've seen 300sh bulls ( not that you couldn't find bigger) but I wouldn't pass a 270 6x6. Expect a majority of your elk to be legal bulls 4x4 or 5x5 ect. Every Year I hear guys complaining they didn't hear a bugle or see an elk. I'm not sure what they are doing wrong or how hard they are actually hunting, but If you hunt hard and have good game plan you will eventually get into the elk. Good luck and hunt hard

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom