Colorado Unit 33 4th Season

Starbux

I have a Unit 33 4th Season Deer Tag and a few questions from people who have hunted that late (this is my first 4th season hunt).
Do the deer have enough time to settle back down after 3rd season ends? They only have two days off between seasons. Third ends November 10 and fourth starts November 13. There were 600 third season tags issued but only 40 fourth season tags.

I saved vacation on my elk hunt when I tagged out early so I have extra days to take. Should I take the two days before off to try to find a big one? If I do, do they tend to stay in the same area that time of year with the does they're with or move around looking for the next hot one?

The weather so far is relatively mild up there. If it stays that way, will the big ones still be up in the NE Corner up high or in the canyons in the north half of the unit? The season is only 6 weeks out so it's possible.

If the weather is ?normal?, would you hunt the canyons from a high lookout with glass or camp out next to private land where there's a big one hoping he chases a doe onto public land...or both?

Thanks!

With only a 5-day season, if you have the extra days, I would definitely take them and get a feel for what's there and maybe even find one to chase.

In fact, if you can go even a day or two earlier than that, you may be able to talk to some of the 3rd season hunters and see how things went for them.

I hunted that 4th season a couple years ago. They hadn't moved down for the most part .Shot a young 27 inch buck on the second to last day at 10,500 ft. after a little snow storm the night before ..I think he was heading down when I bumped into him. It was a tough hunt, but you never know what you will bump into that time a year.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom