Colorado Unit S26 & S70

Snuffy

Does anyone know why these units are not part of the draw anymore?
S26 used to be a unit I applied for and now it is not even offered. Die off, poaching? S70 was a fairly new unit now it is not part of the draw either.
Thank You
Rick

It is in the 2008 drawing book thats what I am looking at now and comparing it to the 2011 book. Anyways I stopped putting in there when I started work in Breckenridge and put in for a unit closer to Breck, thinking I could scout it better. Just was wondering.
Thanks for your reply
Rick

you got me because they don't have any harvest data on the dow website after 2007 for those units, i would guess they either merged them with another unit or closed them altogether. I will ask around and see if i can get a precise answer

Both of these units are in the Gunnison Basin and experienced a severe die off the winter of 07-08 and have since been closed. There was a mistake in the 2008 brochure, the lucky person that drew was awarded a license in another unit.

Currently there are about 30 sheep in S26 and only a few rams. Will be a long time before either one of those units will be hunted. Hope this helps.

Sad to hear, this used to be one of the top draws in the state.
Years back I was working in Crested Butte and staying in Gunnison. I would drive through the Almont Triangle and look at the sheep and get a coyote now and then.
Thanks for the info.
Rick

I believe it was pneumonia that wiped out the 26 herd. Tomichi would know for sure, but I remember hearing about the rams found in a ranchers field. Too bad, one of the best units in the state.

Pneumonia wiped out the sheep in 70, the big winter, pneumonia, no lamb recruitment has wiped out the sheep in 26.

1/24/2011
Division of Wildlife

Gunnison Bighorns Get Preventative Treatment

GUNNISON, Colo. -- In an effort to bolster a formerly productive herd of Rocky Mountain bighorn sheep, the Colorado Division of Wildlife recently vaccinated more than two dozen bighorns near Gunnison against respiratory diseases that have periodically afflicted wild sheep across Colorado and the West.

The respiratory diseases cause lung infections that can kill bighorns.

On Jan. 11, Division biologists used a drop net to capture 27 bighorns in the remnant Taylor Canyon herd and administered antibacterial and antiviral vaccines to each. The sheep were also fitted with ear tags before being released at the capture site.

Gunnison Area Wildlife Manager J Wenum explained that vaccines and other drugs have been administered to Colorado bighorn herds through feed and individual injections in the past. This operation, however, was unique because all but a few of the sheep that comprise the herd were captured. Plans are in place to capture the remaining individuals.

"We hope to isolate, essentially, the entire herd and give them all the same treatment," Wenum said. "This will really help us to see if these treatments are effective. We want to see these animals make it through the winter and we're especially hoping for good survival of lambs born next spring."

A similar operation is being planned for about 20 bighorns in the Fossil Ridge herd, which winters east of Gunnison.

The Taylor herd has historically numbered more than 150 animals, but more recently the population has fluctuated as the sheep have struggled with chronic disease epidemics. Laboratory analysis has identified various strains of bacteria in the herd, which has also been periodically exposed to several deadly viruses. Adult wild sheep seem to develop immunity to these pathogens, but young lambs have a more difficult time coping with infection. Biologists say that reduced lamb survival has significantly depressed the size of the Taylor herd over the last five years.

Three of the sheep captured were lambs that were born last spring. Biologists are optimistic that the young animals will make it through the winter.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom