Colorado's Jack Booted Thugs

L

longshot349

This post is in responce and request by many of the members of MM from last years experiance with Colorado's Game officials.

First off , let me say a few things about this post.
1. I will not post names at this time because of forum rules and a request of my friends involved. There is nothing I would like better than to lite a fire under the rear ends of those involved , but I've been ask not to do that at this time and I will honor that , because the case does NOT invlove me , but instead a friend of mine.

2. I will try to be brief and to the point and state the facts exactly as they are..

Here is a brief run-down of what Happened....

In Oct 2009 we were staying at a Motel and hunting about 10 miles from town. As we were driving to our hunting area , we spotted a nice buck on public land in our hunting unit. After a succesfull stalk , my buddy shot the buck , a 170 incher. The Buck was stalked , shot, and killed perfectly legal and on public ground in our hunt area.... It was at this time that my buddy realized that he had left his day pack back at the motel with his Knife , saw , and rubber gloves in it. Rather than leave the buck and go back , he instead Immediately tagged the deer and loaded it in the truck whole , WITHOUT gutting it.

He then drove 8 miles back to town to get his supplys and then find a place (out of town on public land) to field dress the deer... On his way back out of town , he was stopped by Game officials and TICKETED for wasteing of edible meat.. The ticket was $423 and included 15 or his 20 points of hunting rights.

Here are some additional details of the story...
1. At the time of the ticket , the deer had only been dead 20 minutes...

2. There is no rule in the regulations that says you even HAVE to gut an animal. Here is a direct quote from the Rule book supplied by Game and Fish on page 8.

'' It is against the law to fail to prepare edible wildlife meat for human comsumption. At a minimum , the four hind quarters , tenderloins , and backstraps are edible meat. Internal organs are not.''' Quote Unquote......

3. My friend had no intention of wasting any meat. He simply did not have his knife at the time of the kill. He was headed back out of town to gut it when he was stopped and ticketed. This is a guy that will not waste anything at all and will knaw on the dam tail bone of his animals.

4. My friend also has a SIGNED , DATED statement from the local butcher in that town that says the meat was in PERFECT condition when he did the processing of the meat an hour later.

5. The game officail was unruley , billigerant and rude in his dealing with the situation.

6. My friend ended up paying the ticket and lost his 15 points. He spoke with 3 differant Lawyers about the case and ALL THREE told him that it was a SLAM DUNK WIN CASE , but Lawyer cost ranged from $1600 to $2500 , so he instead opted to pay the fine and lose the points.

Here is the bottom line and my take on the whole situation... I fully realize that game officials have a large problem with poaching and have a job to do , BUT we drew for 8 years to get this tag , and we paid $329 for a licence and dropped another $1000 a piece in this town for motels , food and gas ,,, and this is the kind of respect we get!!!!! We were treated rudely and like common criminals , plus he lost 15 points of his hunting rights over something that was totally innocent. If game officials want to catch law breaking poachers , THEN GET YOUR AZZES OUT IN THE WOODS AND CATCH THEM !! AND LEAVE THE REST OF US WITH TAGS ALONE!!!

Lastly , let me say that the local slaughter house , and many of the bussineses in town were appauled by what happened to us and I appeciate thier support in the matter.

If it was up to me , I'd post names and locations , because I dont give a dam anymore. I've been going to Colorado for over 30 years and I'd appeciate a little bit a respect for that and the fact that I've done it legal.

If more info becomes available that I cna post , I will do so at that time.. Thank you for reading my long rambling post. lol

>he didn't happen to be about
>5'3" with freckles and red
>hair did he?

BINGO!!! A friend of yours?? lol

LAST EDITED ON Feb-08-10 AT 06:27PM (MST)[p]def not a friend. I'm from there though and he hates me. always after me for something or another. he has taken a few deadheads away from me. That sounded like something he would do though. He gave my dad a twenty point ticket for shooting a prairie dog out the window with a twenty two. sorry bout your luck. I work at that meat locker every year also so we see and hear it all

A few more details about field dressing/gutting....

I've been hunting all over the west , Alaska , and Africa and I seldom gut an animal anymore anyway. There is several reasons for this..

1. If you know what your doing , you can salvage ALL edible meat , includeing the inside backstraps WITHOUT gutting an animal. I've done it MANY times, but it is easier viewed than explained. There have been many articles written on this method. I've never lost an animal due to spoilage in my life.

2. There is NO law that say you HAVE to gut an animal. The laws say you have to salvage edible meat. That is easily done WITHOUT gutting.

3. Another reason I seldom gut is because I am a 30 year Taxidermist and many of my animals are mounted as life sized and that requires a vastly differant method of skinning.

I only gut an animal if I'm not going to immediately finsh the job. Again , there is NO LAW THAT REQUIRES IMMEDIATE GUTTING. If the deer described above had been spoiled , I could completely understand the ticket.

There is also NO law that says you have to keep your knife on you at all times. If that was the case , they would ask to see your licence AND YOUR KNIFE !!lol

Sounds to me like a whole lot of headaches would have been avoided if You would have had a knife. ;)

>Sounds to me like a whole
>lot of headaches would have
>been avoided if You would
>have had a knife. ;)
>

I'll be the first to admit that it was a stupid mistake , but it wasn't against the law and sure as hell didn't deserve a $423 ticket and 15 points.

You don't need a lawyer to prove your innocent in court. If you didn't do it, it is simple, don't plead guilty.

Rich

>You don't need a lawyer to
>prove your innocent in court.
> If you didn't do
>it, it is simple, don't
>plead guilty.
>
>Rich

I wish it was all that simple... He was told to show up in court which is 1000 miles away...OK , now you travel 1000 miles and spend gas and more motels and it cost you more than the ticket. He checked into doing it all over the phone but was told that wouldn't work and he would have to provide evidence in person or have a Lawyer represent him or the case would be to weak to win.

They got a workin man over a barrel and they know it.

Let me just say that if I come across as un-agreeable in this post , that is not my intention. I just feel like that people that draw for years to get a tag and go about things in a legal manner deserve a little bit of respect for their efforts.

We have always strived to abide by any laws and be good stewards of the land and sportmanship to those around us. I felt like this is not a good way to treat people that are NOT the enemy.

Theres a little man with a badge in clear creek county that acts the same way (chihuaha syndrome) Its too bad they treated you guys like this. Ive seen it myself and it just isnt right. I always thought a guy was innocent until proven guilty but to some its the other way around.

I have been waiting for this post for a while now. Thanks for sharing. Still plan giving you a call once I get the tag in my hands. Hope the offer still stands.

LAST EDITED ON Feb-09-10 AT 06:34AM (MST)[p]
I did forget to ad one thing... There were actually two Law officials present..One was very respectfull and professional and the other was the exact opposite.. But even this is a mute point , the ticket was still unjustified anyway you want to look at it. The deer wasn't even stiff yet with fresh blood and WAS TAGGED...

Perhaps I'm more upset about it because it happened to a good man and friend that is the most law abiding hunter I know. He'll never go back to Colorado again and they have made another lifelong enemy , instead of someone that supports their efforts in game mangagement.

THEY TRUELY SCREWED UP THIS TIME AND TICKETED THE WRONG GUY!

CMBBULLDOG , I'll be glad to help you out with any info on deer in the area. If you get the tag , give me a shout. Good luck in the draw.

Longshot. I agree with you, especially if you have papers from the meat locker saying the meat was in perfect condition. They sure do have alot of us plain working foke over the barrel at times. Some of these "officals" have a huge chip on their shoulder. I have herd a story of a guy who was fined 1k for taking his blaze orange cap off while he layed on his belly to make a shot and then put the cap back on. The warden was watching through binos and busted him. Seems like common since judgement just doesnt exist anymore. Sorry Man

LAST EDITED ON Feb-09-10 AT 10:23AM (MST)[p]What a dam Joke!! I would have fought it and had a harassment complaint filed against the "Game Steward"! I would have sued the Dept or warden for reimbursement of finances for the lawyer fees,ticket and plane ticket to Colorado! Recklessness with a badge is all to common now a days! What does it matter to the fish cop how the meat is handled if the animal has been tagged properly and physical symptoms of waste are not being shown(I.E Bloated, Stiff and Hot) . I imagine the weather was not 100 degrees and the deer "fly blowed" and driven around town for a day in the sun. Dam n what a mess!

If anything I recommend you to write a letter of concern regarding this mans actions to his superiors for the record so if something like this happens again there is a a file started against this individual! Stuff like this will continue if not handled. In todays times a phone call does not do it anymore. Records of dates times, etc on paper are the only way to really get anything done.

Good luck!

Wow not what I expected to hear. Am curious as to how this all came about with the intial confrontation with the game cop? Just a random pull over or happen-stance? So did they take your game meat too or are you at least allowed to enjoy a steak from your critter?

This is why I hunt with my SUV now. I have Tented windows in the back so that I will not get pulled over JUST because I have a deer or elk in the back. If I happen to get pulled over for something else then fine, I'm not doing anything illegal but these game wardens will dig deep to try and find some minute detail to ticket you with.

I took a friend out and we got a buck up there and brought it in and we got checked. Then the next day I went out and filled my tag and brought it in and you would have thought I was smuggling drugs or something. I immediately got pulled over by two cops and then the game warden showed up on top of that. Guess they thought I was poaching or something bringing two deer in in two days.

If you have not noticed this happens in every state they are to lazy to catch the real poachers. They would rather harass the average hunter and get him to step on himself after they ask him the same question in a different way 20 times. They do this cause they know you will pay the fine instead of fighting the charge. It is called JOB JUSTIFICATION to them. They are the only law entity that you are guilty until u prove your innocense! It is BS but you better get used to it cause its revenue!lol

I'm not
>doing anything illegal but these
>game wardens will dig deep
>to try and find some
>minute detail to ticket you
>with.

That is exactly what they do....Why is it that a person that has drew for a tag for hump-teen years and signed a dam bank note just to get to go hunting ,,, and we have to put up with this crap!!! I'm sick of it myself...

Why do people that have a legitimate TAG have to be treated like a bank robber!! Yea , I'm actually trying to kill a deer here ,, that why I drew for this tag , DUH !

If your going to sell someone a deer tag , THEN LET THEM HUNT THE DANG THINGS AND LEAVE THEM ALONE !! Go catch somebody that DOESN'T have a tag ! I am not the enemy here...

I unfortunately learned the only way to deal with the BS is to not answer their questions other than the obvious ones. "If youd like any more information I'm sorry you'll have to speak to me with my lawyer present". They harrassed me to the point of absolute craziness over something I wasnt guilty of.

I have been checked by 4 different game wardens in CO and all of them were professional, fair and courtesy.

That being said, I have heard these horror stories and like any other group there are some bad apples in the game warden bunch.

They get away with this crap because they know the hunter will pay the fine and say nothing, because it is the easy way out. If you get harassed, turn the other cheek and take it. If you get a ticket - fight it!!! If every time these bozos write a bs ticket they get drug into court, after a while no more BS tickets. And most judges will be fair and call them on their BS.

I know it is tough but, its the only way this crap will stop.

My buddies and I also ran into this individual, If we are talking about the same area ,in unit 21. We were only hunting elk and kept being asked if we were deer hunting,over and over again.We were all legal as could be and felt as if we had done something to make this guy mad. I have learned that with the D.O.W. you are guilty until you can prove you are inocent.

I know him only by reputation. Strangely ain't called Strangely for nuthin.

I have dealt with a few other DOW officers and have never had a bad experience.

I have been stopped twice by the same game warden in that area. The first time was about 3 years ago on a deer hunt in GMU 10. I had a deer in the back of my truck and was stopped on 64 returning to Rangely. The game warden was a young man, short with blonde hair. He treated me fairly and politely, checked my license and sent me on my way. This past season I was elk hunting in GMU 1 and was coming out of the unit after having killed a bull and met up with the same warden. I recognized him immediately after he got out of his truck. I mentioned he had stopped me a couple of years earlier in GMU 10 and he remembered my deer. He checked my license and we chatted about the range conditions and the deer in Unit 10 and I went on my way. Both times, he was by himself. I don't remember his name but he was fair and polite both times. My two cents, for whatever it's worth.

I can say that the 3 times that i was checked in units 61 and 62...both officers were professional and courteous....I wish IU could say the same thing about my dealings with one female officewr here in utah...and I am betting more than one other person knows who I am talking about.

IDK about them wardens.. So did they take your animal and meat or did they leave ya notta but just a ticket in one hand and a bad taste in the mouth. I just can't image this all...

Don't think it only happens out west we have our share of them in Kansas.I watched a GW take a antelope and fine the guy because he said he used his vehicle to get closer to the herd.Only thing was he had parked 1/2 mile away and stalked to within 200 yards and shot.We even were hunting with the landowner.Then in Colo. a warden threatened us with going to jail because he found part of a salted bear hide behind our drop camp that we had been at for 1 hour and thought we poached it.he finally left with the hide and came back the next day and threw it back on the ground and took pictures.Don't think that meets chain of evidence rules.Ended up some guys that were there before had a bear mounted locally and the taxi didn't use all the hide but gave it to them so they threw it away.Then the time in NM unit 52 antelope we were skinning a goat just south of the Colo. line and a Colo. warden got all huffy before I proved that NM season was open and we were in NM.I would fight it,send letters ,write the local papers or anything else.I think some of them do it when they see it's someone that probably won't fight back.

LAST EDITED ON Feb-10-10 AT 04:38PM (MST)[p]I did NOT start this post to condem all Game Wardens. I have met several who were professional and very helpfull and I know its probably a demanding and stressfull job...BUT , there seems to be a large growing number of them packing an attitude and chip on their shoulder for some reason. THESE ARE THE DUDES I'M TAKING ABOUT.

If I shoot something I don't have a tag for , or trespassing , or shoot across a public road and get caught at it , THEN WRITE ME A TICKET.. You'll get NO complaint from me if I'm guilty of something. BUT we didn't do anything wrong and we were not smart mouthing anybody. We were just trying to enjoy our hunt on a tag that we waited on for MANY years.

I truely wonder if DOW or someone is promoting this kind of activity with the thought of putting fear in the hearts of all hunters ??? Maybe they think it will cause people to toe the line more , I don't know...

What I don't understand is why you would harrass legal hunters WITH a tag in hand. Good grief , it cost enough for a poor boy to go hunting already. Im my opinion , they are trying to bust people on any technicality they can find and some they can't find.

BY the way , MY friend did call DOW and told them the same thing that I posted in the first post above... They apolgized and said it surely was an unfortunate circumstance and they are sorry that it happened.... But they said there was nothing they could do to nullify the ticket.

I have wondered if they say that and seem all apologetic on the phone , but they are grinning like a possum on the other side. Crocidile tears. Maybe this is the kind of thing they want their Wardens to do , I don't know.... It would serve 2 purposes for them.

1. Of course its revenue and revenue is revenue.????

2. Maybe they want hunters to be looking over their shoulders all the time.????

I dont know what their motives are , but all I'm saying is it is sad that law abiding hunters have to deal with this stuff.

LS349,
Don't get me wrong on this as it was a misfortune that this all took place and happened.
But was this friend of yours ALONE when he shot the Buck?

3. My friend had no intention of wasting any meat. He simply did not have his knife at the time of the kill. He was headed back out of town to gut it when he was stopped and ticketed. This is a guy that will not waste anything at all and will knaw on the dam tail bone of his animals.

If he had someone with him, did they have a knife he could use?

Brian
24bp2th.jpg

Nope he wasn't alone... His father was in the truck with him , but was not hunting , so had no supplys with him either. Like I said it was a dumb mistake and I always have a knife with me , but he simply forgot his day pack.. Not a law breaking offence.

I was in a differant truck and he called me as he was getting stopped by the Warden and I showed up after that. This all happened in the early morning hours. Probably around 8 am.

First of all I am not a GW in Ohio but I am in law enforcement. Not sure if it is the same in CO but in Ohio the court date is just a pay by date or show up on that date. We have people all the time go to court early. Hopefully this never happens to you or your friend again but if it happens early enough in the hunt you may be able to appear early and see if you cannot get it taken care of before you leave the state.

I kind of know what you mean about law enforcement looking at out of staters as easy money. I was stopped 2 years ago in WY for a speed violation of 6MPH over. The town was literally on the side of a mountain and I had been on the brake all the way. I really believe he saw my plates and decided to stop me for anything he could find. I was lucky and not cited but he never told me what he was going to do and I did not know I was getting a warning until he returned. I did identify myself and do not know if I was getting a warning or not because of my profession. Always be courteous to an Officer, we hate attitude and I only give attitude as a return to someone who is giving it to me.

Might be worth checking to see if they have a video of the stop also. A lot of LE have in car cameras and most have to activate on a stop.

I wonder if this GW is a animal activist also. I am sure there are a few that have gone into the profession just to go after sportsman. Just a thought.

LAST EDITED ON Feb-11-10 AT 05:05PM (MST)[p]I got reading some of your responses a bit more closely longshot and something didn't seem to be right so I started checking into it more. Refering back to your original post back from a couple of months ago and to your most recent one, I do believe your story has changing information and some questionable time lines at the very least. I am not to familiar with many folks in the unit 21 area but do know how to get in touch with the local court house, "butcher", and DOW for information regarding the case you mention. You do mention several truths but you also are leaving out some very important facts and are stretching your facts quite a bit about why the ticket was issued and fact surrounding. I am not going to delve into every single fact since they are rather numberous and lengthy in nature. I believe you know what I am talking about.

Simply put some people in the hunting party you were affiliated with did not use the better part of judgement, got caught, and now are not very happy with the consequences and rather than live with these consequences you try and condem the wardens action and blame someone else for the faults created by members in your hunting group. In your instance the game warden may have been a bit unrulely but after what I have been told and if I were in his shoes I'd likely be a bit worked up too. After all he is DOW, a game warden, a conservationist, a wildlife enthausist, and care giver of nature as a whole and does not diserve this type of treatment because of DOING HIS JOB!

Now take your medicine like a man and move on with life...

BTW, I don't know how they hunt in Missouri but here in Colorado we hunt way different. You know what I am saying...

That's funny--I was about to say something similar to tailchaser...

This story doesn't seem complete. I've dealt with this DWM several times and I know lots of people who have had contact with him in the field and nothing was ever out of the ordinary.

I also know that these guys don't "make up" tickets... If they did, and it actually went to court, they'd lose more $ than they'd make from 10 other tickets... Doesn't add up.

Longshot,
I don't understand the point thing. You may be mixing points with points. I know CO has a point system for violations. That has nothing to do with PPs. I have never heard of someone forfeiting "some" (15 of 20 you said) of their points for a violation.
Anyone who knows better, please correct/educate me.
Ed

>LAST EDITED ON Feb-11-10
>AT 05:05?PM (MST)

>
>I got reading some of your
>responses a bit more closely
>longshot and something didn't seem
>to be right so I
>started checking into it more.
>Refering back to your original
>post back from a couple
>of months ago and to
>your most recent one, I
>do believe your story has
>changing information and some questionable
>time lines at the very
>least. I am not to
>familiar with many folks in
>the unit 21 area but
>do know how to get
>in touch with the local
>court house, "butcher", and DOW
>for information regarding the case
>you mention. You do mention
>several truths but you also
>are leaving out some very
>important facts and are stretching
>your facts quite a bit
>about why the ticket was
>issued and fact surrounding. I
>am not going to delve
>into every single fact since
>they are rather numberous and
>lengthy in nature. I believe
>you know what I am
>talking about.
>
>Simply put some people in the
>hunting party you were affiliated
>with did not use the
>better part of judgement, got
>caught, and now are not
>very happy with the consequences
>and rather than live with
>these consequences you try and
>condem the wardens action and
>blame someone else for the
>faults created by members in
>your hunting group. In your
>instance the game warden may
>have been a bit unrulely
>but after what I have
>been told and if
>I were in his shoes
>I'd likely be a bit
>worked up too. After all
>he is DOW, a game
>warden, a conservationist, a wildlife
>enthausist, and care giver of
>nature as a whole and
>does not diserve this type
>of treatment because of DOING
>HIS JOB!
>
>Now take your medicine like a
>man and move on with
>life...
>
>BTW, I don't know how they
>hunt in Missouri but here
>in Colorado we hunt way
>different. You know what I
>am saying...

I ain't got a clue as to what your talking about.... As to why the ticket was issued , I told that too EXACTLY for what it was. What is written on the ticket doesn't even make sense. It says something like '' failure to immediately prepare edible meat''....The deer was butchered by the local slaughter house and was consumed AND they did give a WRITTEN , DATED letter stateing that the meat was in perfect condition , and it was in perfect condition....

They must be friends of some kind of yours , I don't know , and this must have stepped on your toes. BUT clearly , your the one without the facts.

I figured word of all this would soon spread all the way back to that town and somebody would come on here and try to ''spin '' things around.. LMAO.. Good try!!

>Longshot,
>I don't understand the point thing.
>You may be mixing points
>with points. I know CO
>has a point system for
>violations. That has nothing to
>do with PPs. I have
>never heard of someone forfeiting
>"some" (15 of 20 you
>said) of their points for
>a violation.
>Anyone who knows better, please correct/educate
>me.
>Ed

Ed , I'm not sure how the point thing works either. All I can tell you is the ticket included loseing 15 points of the 20. That has nothing to do with preferance points associated with a big game drawing. Maybe someone else can explain it better than me.

The points thing is just like your drivers license, so many speeding tickets and they take your license. You reach 20 or over and you cannot hunt for so many years. I do not know if this applies to all states like in a poaching case though.

>Refering back to your original
>post back from a couple
>of months ago and to
>your most recent one, I
>do believe your story has
>changing information and some questionable
>time lines at the very
>least.

tailchasers,,, Your reading comprehension skills are almost as bad as my typeing communication skills and my spelling.. LOL..

The post your are refering to is a post of MY deer and my father's deer and has nothing to do with the deer mentioned in this post. There were 4 people in my party.. Myself and my father in one truck and my friend and his father in their truck. The deer pictured in the other post are my deer and my father's deer. I'll post a link to that post at the bottom of this so anyone can go and see what was said and judge for themselves.

As for you not understanding all that took place and the timelines ,,, Let me make it cystal clear one more time and I'll even put it all in one sentance for you , so listen closely...

''HE SHOT A DEER LEGALLY AND WAS TICKIETED BECAUSE HE FORGOT HIS KNIFE AND DIDN'T GUT IT FAST ENOUGH TO SUIT THE WARDEN EVEN THOUGH THE MEAT WAS PERFECT.''

Thats it , nothing more , nothing less. If it is to hard for you to believe that DOW would do that , then ask the MANY posters above that posted similar experiances.....

NOW , my question on this whole post has been,,, Does that deserve a $423 ticket and 15 points ???????

All this ticket has accomplished is RUINING a Father and Son hunt and ruining the memory of that hunt and made Colorado some new enemys..

By the way here is the link to that post you refered too. All are welcome to go read it if they wish.
http://www.monstermuleys.info/cgi-b...z=show_thread&om=1287&forum=DCForumID32&omm=0

LAST EDITED ON Feb-18-10 AT 06:07PM (MST)[p]The thing that is bothersome is that your buddy could have shown up with the letter from the butcher the that seems to be all that is needed in front of the judge.

If a person was wronged in this way, you have got to show up and give it a go in that way. I would have attempted to do it at a minimum, without a lawyer and just on principle.

If there was just not enough time and or enough money to do that, then it is just like a tax. The same as most speeding tickets, a tax. It sucks, but it is a tax.

It sounds like the warden may have given a ticket because of something else or something else that was percieved to have happened, but that maybe they couldn't prove. Regardless of if it really happened, many times LE just does what they can do in a given situation. If they feel strongly that something went badly, but can't prove it.

Bottom line, as was mentioned above, once you pay and in effect plead guilty, it is over and done.

So, they allowed him to keep the deer? This seems strange, if you are going to write that ticket then it seems you would take the deer. Any comment on that?

>The thing that is bothersome is
>that your buddy could have
>shown up with the letter
>from the butcher the that
>seems to be all that
>is needed in front of
>the judge.
>
>If a person was wronged in
>this way, you have got
>to show up and give
>it a go in that
>way. I would have
>attempted to do it at
>a minimum, without a lawyer
>and just on principle.
>
>If there was just not enough
>time and or enough money
>to do that, then it
>is just like a tax.
> The same as most
>speeding tickets, a tax.
>It sucks, but it is
>a tax.
>

He looked into traveling back out there and showing up in court , but it was just simple econimics. The cost of traveling back out there was going to be more than the $423 ticket.

Think about it ,,, 3 or 4 days off work and motels, gas and food and it just won't ad up. Unless you are wealthy and have alot of time on your hands , the ordinary common man just can't do it.

Yes he did get to keep the deer. I have no idea why they didn't take it.. Maybe they felt bad enough already ? Or at least they should have felt badly . LOL

lets see, your expected to know regulations, and private land boundaries, you also should be expected to cary a knife.

How do you load an animal in a truck whole without driving off the road illegally?

If nothing else, they should have issued a ticket for not carrying a knife.

Game Wardens are expected to make judgement calls based on the law, same as county court judges. Personally, I think the warden did the right thing, based on obvious poor hunter judgment, and the missing "other side" of the story we have't heard.

I tend to agree...

This is a tough one. I think it should be illegal to transport wildlife on a state maintained road without gutting it...with respect to the increased chance that spoilage could set in. Maybe he thought it was shot the day before? Obviously since none of the meat spoiled, then all should be OK and it should be cleared in court. This is one of the stranger cases I've ever heard of and I understand the game warden being a bit skeptical.

If the facts are even close then Grasshopper's response is as ridiculous as the ticket.

You must be one perfect guy to have never forgotten something like a knife! I am 55 and I could load a deer by myself without gutting it. A ticket for no knife? You have got to be kidding me. Obvious poor hunter judgement. Why because he forgot the knife in his pack.

What about the animal that gets shot 30 minutes before dark and can't be tracked? Does he get a ticket for not recovering the animal that night. It happens and likely the meat has a better chance to spoil but I don't think it deserves a ticket. I watch TV show after TV show where they return the next day. Where is there ticket.

I think you might be the warden. Too bad the poor guy didn't go back and fight this one. It would have been fun and easy to win.

>If nothing else, they should have
>issued a ticket for not
>carrying a knife.
>
> Personally, I think the
>warden did the right thing,
>based on obvious poor hunter
>judgment, and the missing "other
>side" of the story we
>have't heard.

If you or anybody else has ''the other side'' of the story ,, then puke it up , or shut up !

I've told what happened and I even put it all in one sentence in a post above... The facts are not complicated and are really pretty simple...

Now, you can believe the ticket was BOGUS , or JUSTIFIED.That is your opinion.

My opinion is that it is harrassment of a LEGAL hunter.

I'm not sure whether to smile or cry. This whole thing seems crazy. As an outfitter, I load and haul LOTS of critters with their guts in them. I do this because I will not leave gut piles in key feeding or bedding areas. We hunt a few alfalfa fields and the deer and antelope we take there are always moved. I also move bucks whole that are taken in well-defined bedding areas. I often drive them down the county road and put the gut piles in a good place to use to shoot coyotes off of.

I always have a knife and often choose not to use it at the kill site. Putting a gut pile on farm ground or a key bedding area is a good way to bring predators into an area where you'd prefer they not come into.

We already have too many rules. Common sense got missed on this one. But I can tell you I would have fought that ticket to my dying breath if the story is as simple as you say. I'd spend a LOT of money and considerable time to fight that citation.

Good points. I have experienced the same thing many times and the animal was moved for the same reasons. If this is as simple as it is portrayed then it is pretty sad and should have been fought!

Thanks Jazz... I feel that same way. He was planing on fighting it , but hiring a Lawyer was out of reach financially and the other option was travleing , motel and lose of work expences , so it didn't ad up for him.

Like I said above , it is an unfortunate situation , but whats done is done. I feel badly that it has tainted what was otherwise a good hunt.

In my personal experience, all the CO DOW cares about is the almighty dollar. They will do almost anything to generate more revenue for their agency.

I'm sorry that happened to your buddy. I know exactly how it feels to have the DOW take a giant dump on you.

...Since I know for a fact that DOW employees troll this site, I'll sign off for now.....

I got stopped in Colorado for going to slow I was traveling 45mph in 55mph.... officer gave me a warning!

>I'm sorry that happened to your
>buddy. I know exactly
>how it feels to have
>the DOW take a giant
>dump on you.
>
>...Since I know for a fact
>that DOW employees troll this
>site, I'll sign off for
>now.....

TennVol, Sounds like you been there too.
Yeah , I'm sure they troll around on here too.. I'd even bet that a couple of post on this thread could be DOW folks.

All I can say is , HOWDY BOYS! Its ok , you can go ahead and take your mask off now. LOL

I guess some people have different experiences with the wardens. Myself and my group have never been hassled by the CDOW wardens or Rio Blanco Sheriffs, including the guy that is getting raked over the coals here. Sure they have checked us and visited our camp, and more than once in a season. Some people might see a problem in that, I see it as keeping people honest, especially when the season is winding down and some folks are more apt to "bend the rules" so they don't go empty handed. It is what it is, we treat the wardens and sheriffs with respect and in turn they treat us the same way.

>we treat the wardens and
>sheriffs with respect and in
>turn they treat us the
>same way.

Litch , just for the record , we didn't disrespect anyone.

>>we treat the wardens and
>>sheriffs with respect and in
>>turn they treat us the
>>same way.
>
>Litch , just for the record
>, we didn't disrespect anyone.
>

Where did I say you did?

Here in Washington guys shoot deer on private, hurry up and throw it in the truck and get out of there since they didn't have permission. Maybe that is also happening in Colorado so the Wardens are trying to stop it?

Branden

>
>Where did I say you did?
>

Litch , in your first post you mentioned '' bending the rules'' and ''respecting the Wardens'' and I was just making the point that we didn't ''disrespect'' or ''bend'' anything.

Thats all I was saying.. No foul intended.

>Here in Washington guys shoot deer
>on private, hurry up and
>throw it in the truck
>and get out of there
>since they didn't have permission.
>Maybe that is also happening
>in Colorado so the Wardens
>are trying to stop it?
>
>
>Branden

Branden good point , that could be true and might be a reason , I don't know.... BUT the unit we hunted is 95% public land , so there is very little private to deal with. This deer was definately on public land when shot.

Thats a good point though. It seems like they can write you a ticket for just about anything , and YOU have to prove you DIDN'T do it... It just all seems backward to me.

Naw, They only do that to out of staters. I've never had a problem with the DOW.

Give it up, we're gettin tired of hearing you whine about our state.

Hello longshot349,
I have been following this thread from the very beginning and I really wish your friend had fought that ticket.
In my opinion, the main point is this, law enforcement types are human too. They are not always correct. They sometimes have a bad day and, yes, there are a few "bad apples" in their ranks just like anywhere else.
That is what the courts are there for!
I am a CO native but currently reside in AZ so I can appreciate the added expenses required just to get your day in court but, as was stated above, I would have fought that ticket all the way.
By the way, AZG&F is far worse than Colorado Division of Wildlife!

Live & Learn, & let it go!

longshot349,

Did your buddy run into any Rio Blanco County sheriff's deputies that day?

How far out of down was he when he got the ticket?

Twenty minutes dead?

C'mon...you can tell us the real story. Don't leave out the details.

ANYBODY have the other side of the story, a few of you hint about another side but No-one is posting the other side. So is it smoke and Mirrors or is their another side. Let the truth set you free.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

>Did your buddy run into any
>Rio Blanco County sheriff's deputies
>that day?
>
>How far out of down was
>he when he got the
>ticket?
>
>Twenty minutes dead?
>
>C'mon...you can tell us the real
>story. Don't leave out
>the details.

Colorado oak , GOOD GRIEF I have posted this topic to death , but you people still keep hinting that there is more to the story. I'll go through this one last time.

He shot the deer (legally) and drove to the motel and got his pack ( with knife) , then as he was leaving , he was stopped by the local town police. The police didn't do anything to him , but looked at the deer and said ''nice buck'' and ask him if he was going to gut it and he said yes , and I'll be right back with it to deliver it to the locker house to be processed.

I assume that the police then radio'ed the Warden and told him what he saw and which way he was headed , although I don't know that for sure.

When my friend left the policeman , he then stopped at the locker house and ask them if they could do the processing. They said yes , and he said I'll be right back after I go out of town and gut it. The motel and locker are all within a block of each other (small town)

He then was heaed out of town to gut it when he was stopped by the Warden and was ticketed.

I didn't mention the local police stopping him in my original story because it had nothing to do with the ticket and is irrelavant , but if you needed that detail , then fine with me.

There is nothing else to this story and nothing to hide. People just keep on hinting like there is more , but there is not anything else to say. If you have something to say then say it , but you better have you FACTS !

If it is your opinion that he deserved a ticket , then fine , thats your opinion. I disagree though.

Finally , if you people think he shot it illegally on private property or shot it from the highway or something , I have a good question for you.... WHY WAS HE NOT TICKETED FOR THAT THEN ?????

This thread just looks like it could go on forever , but there IS NOTHING MORE TO SAY. It has gotten kinda boring responding to all this. He paid the ticket and its over.

Seems to me you opened yourself up for debate and criticism by using the term "Jack Booted Thugs" in your title. A liitle bit extreme in my opinion. It's a public forum and others have their opinions but you don't seem to want to accept that. This probably wasn't the right place to post this if you wanted everyone to line up behind you and condemn the law enforcement in Rangely. We get it, you have beaten it to death that your friend is as innocent as they come, others have different opinions, let it go.

Litch , I posted it because I had a BUNCH of people asking all about it, from the one small referance that I made in another post 4 months ago. All I said in that post was ''''we had a bad experiance with a game warden''' Period, thats all I said and all this spiraled from that.

My PM box is running over with PM's from MANY people that are afraid to post on here puiblicly , for fear of retaliation in some way.

As for your opinion of it all... You can think what ever you wish and thats fine with me. LOL ..I'm sure there are people out there that will say he deserved the ticket. I just see it differant , very differant.I'm not upset over anyone else's opinion at all. lol

If the term Jack booted thug doesn't seem fair to you ,,, welcome to the club !! We didn't get a fair shake in all this either.

>I didn't mention the local police
>stopping him in my original
>story because it had nothing
>to do with the ticket
>and is irrelavant , but
>if you needed that detail
>, then fine with me.

>There is nothing else to this
>story and nothing to hide.
>People just keep on hinting
>like there is more ,
>but there is not anything
>else to say
. If you
>have something to say then
>say it , but you
>better have you FACTS !
>

Let's just keep in mind that there may be other "irrelevant" details the poster has chosen not to include, before we just throw someone under the bus who is not here to defend themselves (and shouldn't be here).

The fact is, only two people know the whole story...the warden and the guy that got the ticket. It is ridiculous that so many people feel they can sit here on the internet and judge who is right or wrong in this case.

I'm tired of this thread too, and you've had every chance to come clean.

The reason that being stopped by the sheriff is an important detail is that it provides a definitive time-line--that deputy called in the stop and it was recorded by dispatch. The game warden called in the stop and it was recorded by dispatch. It's pretty easy to prove how long it was between those 2 stops.

It was more than a few minutes.

I am a native of Western Colorado and have had bad experience with a game warden back in 1989 over an elk and the length of a point.

This year I seen a guy get a ticket for the same thing as this guy in this post. Was he doing something wrong to get the ticket, "YES". One guy from a camp shot a buck first thing opening morning of third rifle season. He walked up to the deer and turned and left to head back to camp. What was he doing? He was heading back to camp to get aother guy (that drinks and does not hunt that also had a buck tag) to come back with him and tag that deer. While he was gone the warden found the deer and had my cousins help her load the deer and find out what was going. When the guys were heading back to the deer they ran into the warden and said that the guy just went back for help and knife. The warden radioed her supervisor and could only write him a ticket for not taking care of his game right a way. The fine was $68.00. The only reason I know the whole story on this guy (and it is not the same people in this post) is I work with two of the guys from that camp.

Game wardens typically know when something strange is up and yes there are some bad wardens out there also.

LAST EDITED ON Feb-28-10 AT 03:47PM (MST)[p]>Let's just keep in mind that
>there may be other "irrelevant"
>details the poster has chosen
>not to include

Colorado Oak , I guess I should have also told that at the time of the stop , he was wearing bluejeans and chewing on some hiho crackers !! ITS IRRELEVENT TO WHAT HAPPENED.

You know , I understand Law enforcement types watching the backs of their own and I also understand friends taking up for another friend , but a mistake was made in this case. If ya'll disagree thats OK , we just simply disagree.

I've told everything there is to tell. Some of you say I've beat it to death and I do agree on that for sure , but then some of you say I need to tell the REST OF THE STORY.

There is not a '' rest of the story'' and it has been beat to death , but not just by me on here..

>I'm tired of this thread too,
>and you've had every chance
>to come clean.
>
>The reason that being stopped by
>the sheriff is an important
>detail is that it provides
>a definitive time-line--that deputy called
>in the stop and it
>was recorded by dispatch.
>The game warden called in
>the stop and it was
>recorded by dispatch. It's
>pretty easy to prove how
>long it was between those
>2 stops.
>
>It was more than a few
>minutes.

Nick , I didnt punch a stop watch and record every second , but I can provide you with a copy of the ticket if you like and it was written long before anything was going to spoil. Are you saying that my friend just drove around for a good long time waiting on his deer to spoil , just for the hell of it ???? That don't make a lick of sense.

I also have the reciept from the locker saying the meat is fine. The meat didn't even come close to spoiling and was consumed.

I really don't have a problem with the Warden stopping him and telling him to get his deer gutted , but it didn't deserve the big fine and 15 points.

What was the time difference between when the deer was shot, when stopped by the local sheriff and the time on the ticket. If it was not a big deal, post the times and let the MM's figure it out for themselves. Third season last year was pretty warm, down right tropical if you ask me.

Rich

LAST EDITED ON Feb-28-10 AT 08:20PM (MST)[p]>What was the time difference between
>when the deer was shot,
>when stopped by the local
>sheriff and the time on
>the ticket. If it
>was not a big deal,
>post the times and let
>the MM's figure it out
>for themselves. Third season
>last year was pretty warm,
>down right tropical if you
>ask me.
>
>Rich

Rich , I just now called my friend to ask what the time on the ticket said , but the ticket is at his bussiness and he'll let me know tomorrow.

I don't know the time when he was stopped by the local police , but it would have been before that time , since it happened before the Warden stop.

Also , this was not third season. Third season wasn't tropical at all. They had snow on the ground up there. It was a cloudy cold morning the day the deer was shot. Hope that helps.

Not sure why the time is important anyway? Per the story there was no loss of meat and there is no law requiring "gutting" anything in a specified amount of time. If this story is accurate the ticket was not warranted.

It would show how long this ordeal lasted. There was no mention in the first posts about being stopped by a deputy then later by a game warden. It sounded like they shot the buck, threw it in the back because they didn't have a knife and went to town. It would give a timeline and you could make your own decision. As I said in my earlier post if you didn't do it, plead not guilty. In Oregon you can appear on all citations by mail (unless it is a crime). How many times have you heard, I was innocent but I pled guilty........

Jazz, you say the "if the story was accurate the ticket was not warranted", the times will tell some of the story.

Rich

I have been waiting to hear this story since Longshot's post back in October. Based upon the regs, I see no violation. I supsect the officer suspected something more sinister and got creative to write a citation since he witnessed no real crime.

If the facts are as Longshot states, nothing in the regs make his friend's actions illegal. I have spent some time in Rangely and the local law enforcement doesn't have a good reputation. If you don't believe me, call up a Rangely local and ask.

HOWEVER, I think it is really UNFAIR for some of you guys to allude that Longshot is leaving out KEY facts. You guys are doing nothing more than creating an APPEARANCE OF IMPROPRIETY. If you have facts to the contrary, show some guts (pardon the pun) and post it up.

Free legal advice--never plead guilty to a crime you didn't commit even if you can't afford a lawyer.

Longshot 349,

I just read this entire thread, and your story is consistent. Furthermore, no one is disputing the key fact of the story. Your friend was cited for wasting of edible meat that was NOT wasted! A few people on here, who clearly are opposed to your position before even reading this post, are picking at ingignificant details that are absolutely irrelevant to the wrong doing your friend has reportedly suffered.

In addition, the reason your friend did not choose to fight it makes perfect sense. An average working man just can't afford to simply head off to another state, let alone be granted the time off work. Tough decisions have to be made, and some times that means you have to put your ego aside.

Good Luck

Well,.....

I've been following this thread as well with great intrest. I'm from Rangely as well. I will say (for the record) that I don't know 'bonedaddy' just in case anybody is wondering.

No offence to anybody here, but yes, there are some things that make me wonder.

I'm going to go a head here and stick my neck out a little. I personally know Terry (the game warden)on a professional level and have dealt with him several times over and I find him very professional and I think he does his job well. He has never tried to give me a ticket quite simply because I have never given him a reason too.

From what I've heard, people shooting from vehicles is one of his dislikes and will nail you with that every chance he gets.

Don't get me wrong.. I'm not saying longshot and his party where wrong or really did anything wrong. If the story is like they say, they should have fought the ticket. PERIOD.

I do know for a fact though, the game warden mentioned isn't the animal you guy's are making him out to be. He is a typical game warden that wrights tickets when he can and when they are deserved. PERIOD.

I'm going to try and contact Terry (if I can get a hold of him) and make sure he knows about this thread. I doubt he will (probably because he can't) but maybe, just maybe he'd like to share his side of the story. It's a long shot, but we'll see.

Happy hunting to all,...

Todd

This thread and the information in it make no sense. You want an internet trial after you plead guilty and paid the fine?

As far as the inforamtion goes, there are so many holes I could not begin to address them all. Here is one:

You claim the deer had only been dead 20 minutes before the ticket was issued. Lets start with the kill shot. Now you have to walk to the deer, look at those 170" antlers, talk about the events, congratulate each other, talk about field dressing it, and getting it back to the truck. At some point you realize that your friend forgot his knife and other field dressing gear (no one else had their stuff?). You now have to drag it to the truck, load it, get in the truck, drive eight miles to the hotel, stop the truck, find your field dressing gear, get back in the truck, drive to the point where the warden stops you, have a conversation with the warden, and all the others things that would have taken place.

You say in your initial post that the deer had only been dead 20 minutes before the ticket was issued. Impossible, you are not telling the truth about the timing of events. If the hotel was only eight miles away, why not send one person back for the gear and have the other(s) wait at the kill site? Wouldn't that have been much easier than dragging a deer that had not been field dressed to the truck, loading it, hauling it to another location, unloading it there, and then filed dressing it?

You elected not to pursue the option that would have allowed all the information to be presented by both sides and instead pursued the option that allows you to present information supporting your side in a forum where you are not legally obligated to tell the truth.

You also talk about how much money you spend, how many years you have been hunting there, etc. These items are irrelevant when it comes to enforcing our game laws.

How many people believe the deer was only dead 20 minutes before the ticket was issued or even 20 minutes before the CO stopped them? I am guessing zero.

I say THANK YOU to the CO.

OK , first off, some of you above have mentioned the Warden by name and I said NOT to do that in my very first post ! I have never had any intention to get him fired from his job . He may have a wife and children that depend on his income and they are innocent in this. My purpose is to point out that a mistake was made and that it should be handled diferantly in the future by Law enforcement.

If people decide to do the leg work to find out who I'm talking about , then fine , but DO NOT mention his name. I hope you go back and remove his name immediately or this post should be deleted.

If the Warden chooses to come on here and defend his side , thats fine with me also. I'm sure we will disagree , but I'm an adult and can take it.

OK , as for the timeline that many have requested. I have just spent 30 minutes on the phone with my friend that got the ticket.

I HAVE MADE A MISATKE ON THE 20 MINUTE DEAL. I dont have any problem going back to correct and get the facts exactly right. I do not have so much Pride that I can't admit where I was wrong and I was wrong. Let me explain.

I said in the first post that the deer had only been dead 20 minutes at the time of the ticket. That was incorrect. Here is how I made that mistake.

When I made the first post in this thread , I had taken notes from talking to my friend on the phone and he said '' the deer had only been dead 20 minutes when he got stopped '' . He was refering to the first stop by the local town police and I wrote down the later Warden stop instead. It was an error on my part and I appologize completely for that error.

Noe of that changes the fact that the deer wasn't even close to spoiling at anytime and you can decide that in the timeline below.

Here is the timeline.

1. He shot the deer around 8 am to 815 am.

2. He was stoped by local police about 835 am and they said ''nice buck'' and ask him if he was going to gut it and let him go.

3. He went to the locker , discussed them doing the processing , they looked at his deer and visited a few minutes and he left to go out of town and gut it and bring it back to the locker.

4. He was stopped by the Warden just about exactly 9 am. The Warden told him to sit in their vehicle while he made phone calls and radio transmission for a long time. The Warden called the locker to verify that my friend had talked to them and the Warden called someone in DOW for who knows what ?

Then the Warden told them to follow him to a location and immediately gut the deer while the Warden waited. After the deer was gutted , the Warden then wrote the ticket and the Ticket has the time of 935 AM.

Now , even with the honest mistake I made in the first post , I still have a question for everyone.

How can a deer possibly spoil in the early morning hours after only being dead approximately 1 hour ? I've shot many deer across a canyon and it took longer than that to walk to it.

Did this deserve a ticket and 15 points?

I know some of you are going to cut me to ribbons for my mistake in the first post , but it was an honest mistake and doesn't change my opinion in the end.

Look at the timeline closely and fire away on me !! LOL

I should probably also ad what is written on the ticket. I have trouble even making any sense out of it.I do this so that all know I have nothing to hide. Maybe some of you can decifer it ? Here is a direct quote written on the ticket.

'' Did unlawfully fail to reasonably attempt to immediately dress and provide for human consumption of big game meat''

Again , I remind everyone that the deer was processed and eaten and I do also have a written reciept from the locker that says the deer was processed and was edible for human consumption.

Again , ya'll can fire away all you want !LOL.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom