Cow crap for scent?

R

rumple

I have heard that if you are hunting in an area where ranchers have had their coes all summer and into the fall that if you spread cow crap on your boots that works really well, anyone else hear of this trick? rump.

LAST EDITED ON Sep-07-05 AT 01:25PM (MST)[p] IT WORKS, I DO IT ALL WINTER WINTER LONG WHILE HUNTING HOGS. ITS THE LOCAL SCENT COVER/ AND ANIMALS ARE USED TO IT. I JUST PUT IT ON MY BOOTS, NICE/STINKY/ AND WET. YD.

LAST EDITED ON Sep-07-05 AT 02:26PM (MST)[p]>I have heard that if you
>are hunting in an area
>where ranchers have had their
>coes all summer and into
>the fall that if you
>spread cow crap on your
>boots that works really well,
>anyone else hear of this
>trick?
> rump.

Yes I have and yes it worked extremely well. I used it on private property during a Muzzleloader hunt in a field adjacent to a field containing cows (my own familys cows). I took a ziplock bag and on the way to the "blind" I scooped up a fresh cow patty into the ziplock. When I got to the blind I dumped a little poop around it and settled in the the evening hunt.

While I didnt see the buck I was after that night, I had several does cross me so close I litterally almost touched one. It was the closest I've ever been to a live deer while hunting in my life.

If cows are in the area it works *really* well.

-DallanC

I too have used it when hunting , it can only help as the deer and elk are used to them and their scent ...NM

Also works good when you rub it on your clothes(don't rub on to thick). Just make sure you rub on dry patties and not the wet ones as my hunting partner did a few years back. He thought he was rubbing a dry pattie (wet on the outside, just rained the night before) till he started rubbing it on his clothes. We got into a lot of elk though!!!

pinemesa

LAST EDITED ON Sep-07-05 AT 05:03PM (MST)[p]Good breath masker too. Also can be used as: soap, shampoo, deoderant, hair gel, shaving cream, gun cleaner, you get it.

Really though, I have always stood in campfire smoke to mask my scent before an early season hunt as the animals are used to burning forests in the summer and unless they see smoke and flames they won't be too worried. I had two bucks bedded downwind of me for an hour last year within 50 yds and they never looked my way.
In my book it beats rolling in feces any day.
Andy

works great!.....
I love running it over with my quad doing 30....
nice fresh steamers are best...... sometimes before it ever hits the ground!
lol
my dogs would love you guys!
rm

it makes good lip balm too. it won't heal em up, but it dang will keep ya from lickin' em. hunt into the wind. all a deer is gonna do is think "dang, that hunter smells like cowcrap".

If you have a problem with Acme, better known as "zits" just rub some on your face and leave it for 5-10 minutes, it will improve your complexion. It must be fresh layed cowpies though and from cows eating alfala.

Brian

We were at the Buffalo Bill museum in Cody, Wy this summer and they said the indians would use dried buffalo patties as baby powder. So next time you get a little jock itch from hiking after Mr. Big.....and you have a cow turd in your pocket, you can get double use out of it.

I rub it in my armpits and around the groin region as they are they smelliest spots on a mans body. Seems to work for me.

BeanMan

When you guys get on a roll- you get on a roll. I've been moving cows for a week now and haven't seen one frickin deer.

I wouldn't share this with just anybody, but I keep a plastic baggie full of dried cow patty in my day pack. Works great for an emergency smoke when you're miles from the nearest store. Don't forget your Zig Zag papers though.

We also collect dried patties while scouting. During hunting season, we'll throw a few on the campfire and then stand in the smoke to make sure it soaks into our clothes and hair. It works best if you hunt WITH the wind. Deer and elk don't have a clue!

Steve

I soak the dry pies, and then make them into a paste. I then apply a thin layer to my body. It works great, but I spend more time swatting flies then looking for elk.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom