cow elk slaughter

J

justtryin

LAST EDITED ON May-24-09 AT 10:40AM (MST)[p]I'm looking for an honest fact based response. Why was it decided and how was it justified based on management principles that this "Elk Control Permit" is better than increasing the antlerless draw permits to a clearly defined number? If there is someone out there who attended the RACs and other meetings or was in some way involved in this policy I would like to know.

For those of you unclear to what it is read page 8 of the Anlterless guidebook. ( http://wildlife.utah.gov/guidebooks/2009_antlerless/2009_antlerless.pd ) In short I as an archer/dedicated hunter have 3 oportunities to get cow elk permits this year on the San Juan and other units. (I realize I could only harvest 2) That means in my household with me and my wife both being archers, both hunting the general seasons on the San Juan we are both eligible to purchase over the counter, an "Elk Control Permit" (guaranteed tag), then we can both purchase a spike tag and shoot a cow with our bows (guaranteed tag), and then potentially draw an antlerless elk tag. That is six tags between the two of us (although we would only be allowed to have four permits/harvest four animals).

I will admit I wasn't at the RACs or other meetings to voice my opinion or hear the justification from the division, but it seems to me they are making a huge mistake that is going to lead to a slaughter on the four units that fall under that tag.

Read closer. It is for east of 191 on the San Juan, which is mostly private farmground. This won't eradicate elk on the San Juan, it will just remove a few animals that landowners are probably complaining about. You won't see a slaughter up on the bears ears with these tags.

The real cow elk slaughter will be on the fishlake-thousand lakes. 1600 permits over three hunts.

They are going to make the same HUGE mistake they made 10 years ago.

The slaughte wont be archers. On the fish lake unit they took away the rights to kill a cow!

so if you hunt spikes on that unit you better not shoot a cow

Archery is a year round commitment!!

I agree. Fishlake finally starts to rebound from DWR's MOAFU's and they decide to slaughter what's left. WTF is up with this state's management or mismanagement I should say. The rack meetings are a joke. Hunter input is ignored. It's just a pony show to pretend they are appeasing us. Then they just go ahead and do what they want to anyway.

Here's how the great Bioligists of Utah think. We need to manage x unit to have a 25:100 buck/doe ratio. But we only have 10 bucks in the unit and 300 does. Hmmm, that is a problem. I have a solution. Lets kill off all but 40 does then the ratio will be managed. LOOKS GOOD ON PAPER ANYWAYS! And as long as it looks good on paper that's all the gov't cares about, kind of like the budget.

looks like you are correct bikes I was going of hearsay!

this is what the proc says
If you obtain a general archery elk permit, you may use archery equipment to take one of the following animals:

One elk of either sex on a general any bull ? elk unit

A cow elk or a spike bull elk on a general ? spike bull elk unit

Only a spike bull on the following units: ? Book Cliffs, Monroe, Paunsaugunt and Plateau Boulder

One elk?either any bull or antlerless?on ? the Wasatch Front or Uintah Basin extended archery areas from Aug. 15 to Sept. 11

A general archery elk permit does not allow you to hunt on elk CWMUs.

you can still shoot 2 cow elk this year though, so it will still be a slaughter, as an archer on the san juan you can shoot a cow or spike, most likely it will be a cow and then you can draw a cow tag and shoot another one this year, great plan that was thought out by the division. 50,000 achers can shoot the crap out of the cow elk, I am sure they will wound a couple before they fill their tags so here we go with a great plan, I am glad we have such wonderful opportunity to help the division screw things up for future generations, lets kill them all, kill the elk, kill all the deer.
Wildlife board I am glad you see how we all fill, I am glad that you want to kill all the wildlife, you guys are the greatest people ever. way to go against all the rac meetings and put on this spike hunt, we are so greatful that our voice was herd. Also thanks for extending the South east deer hunt to 9 days and going again against what the racs voted for, I am glad are voice means nothing to you. I had a landowner just the other day tell me how opening weekend on the rifle they will kill tons of deer and then during the week the public will most likely push more deer on their ground and the second weekend they will kill even more deer. I sure love the DWR and the Wildlife board........

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom