DAVIS TENTS

FALCON

I'm thinking of ordering a 14x16 tent from these guys. Anyone out there have their product, and if so, how does it perform?
Thanks!

Would that be the Davis Tent and Awning in Denver Colorado?
If so, I have a 14x14 and would be glad to fill you in on them.

Later-

Vince:

Yes, that would be them. I'm going with the 14x16 with a awning and internal frame. Let me know how that puppy performs.
Thanks!

Falcon,

I've had mine for about 7 years now and love it. It goes on all my hunts. I purchased the frame from them as well.

I've been real happy with it. It's never let me down even in Blizzard conditions and has held up great to that awesome Wyoming wind. With a good stove, you won't want to leave it.

They're great people and very friendly. It's the only Canvas wall tent I've owned, but If I had to buy another it would be with them first.

Later-
Vince (Colorado)

We pack ours from state to state....we have the 14x16 and love it! our other hunting buddy bought one the same time at the Denver Expo when they had a special on them...and we use his for a cook tent...I would recommend them very highly.....been in some rough stuff....Heavy Snow, to Gusty winds to high alpine slopes in Wyoming........Wait and check them out at the Denver Sportmans Expo......they usually run a sale or discount on them....or they used too.......you will not be dis-appointed, the one thing I like about it.....it is versitile(Sp) we ahve the poles and stuff, but have also used the old tried and true method of logpole pines for frames have had it since 97' and used at least twice a year....Dwayne

LAST EDITED ON Nov-21-03 AT 07:53PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Nov-21-03 AT 07:46?PM (MST)

We have a few wall tents by different manufactures, including Davis Tents. Davis are reasonably priced and good quality tents. I purchased a new 15'X18' made of 12 oz. tan sunforger this year from Dave Ellis. I prefer his tents over the Davis tents because of the better quality materials and detail. He'll gladly customize them any way you want. When I talked to Davis tents about customizing they got an attitude and didn't seem interested. Which ever tent you buy you can make your own frame cheaper then buying a complete frame from the supplier. I built my own ridge pole frame for the 15X18 for around $120. I used 1/2" EMT for the wall poles, and 1 3/8" top rail for the ridge, center, and "A" frame ends. I used 3/8" by 2" I bolts threaded with two nuts, one at the top of the threads and the other at the bottom, and drove them down into the 1/2" EMT for tying the ropes, this way you can unthread the I bolts for packing. For the ridge I bought 1 3/8" "guns" from Cylinder Stoves in Cedar City. Useing five of them I put two at the ends for an "A" frame and one in the center. You can check out Dave Ellis's web site at www.cowboycamp.net
Wes

I have a 14 x 16 with the external frame and have a couple of window options on it. With the cylinder stove, it is a great set up. Your best bet is to catch them at the Sportsmans Expo or some other outdoor show a the convention center and get the show price and save a few bucks. Very reasonable prices, good people to do business with. I'm sure you'll be happy with the quality of their tents.

Coot

Thanks guys!

I live in Washington, so I'm gonna pay freight no matter what. I'm going to cut my own poles and save afew bucks. I already have a Cylinder stove, so I'll be set for the ultimate camp!
I talked to one of the Davis boys on the phone for a good 20 minutes. Nice people to deal with and I feel pretty comfortable
spending a 1000 bucks after reading all your guys posts. Thanks again!

I purchaced this same tent (mildew treated) with traditional poles and a stove this year from them. I used it twice, first time we had clear weather, second time it snowed every day. NOTE: set it up and wet it down inside and outside before you take it out, I failed to do this and it leaked on us. Roy at Davis Tent felt bad for not letting me know this but he told me to return it if I had any additional problems. I found them very helpful, I did'nt know exactly what I wanted. If you buy around Jan. or Feb. you should be able to get a discount.
Cary

Caryo15, Great Point! I forgot to mention to be sure to set it up in the heat of the summer and wet it down a few times....this draws the material closer together and helps make it waterproof......We have never had our leak on us and we have been in every extreme environment...BE SURE TO DO THIS.....also, Get the Mildew treated material......Dwayne

Thanks for the water tip. Of course, it never rains in Washington!!!!! I am getting the mildew resistant canvas for obvious reasons.

The folks at Davis are the best. I bought my tent there a 14x16 and I've had it for 4 yrs. I've never had a problem with it.. And when some campfire coals landed on the tent and burnt a few small holes, I took it back to them to have them fix it. I fully expected them to charge me as it wasn't the tents fault.. Nope they didn't. Not one dime. They are the best in the business. They will customize the tent for you and help you make your choice. Also, the big bonus is that they give a lot of tents to groups like: RMEF, Mule Deer Foundtion, Ducks Unlimited, and the NRA. Just to name a few. I very highly reccomend them. Good luck

Well, I finally ordered the tent over the phone. I guess I'll have a early Christmas present!I'm giving one of my hunting buddies my old 10x10 army wall tent. I know he will take good care of it. I'm looking forward to having my own tent and not having to borrow my partners when he's not around. Thanks for all the advice guys. I'm sure I'm gonna be real happy with it for years to come.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom