Define good physical shape for each type of hunt?

flyingbrass

Define good physical shape for each type of hunt?
Just wondering what the standard is for typical elk, sheep, mt goat, and black bear hunt? Something like must be able to walk/run x.xx miles in x minutes. Trying to get in tip top shape for hunting this fall. Glad I did it last year.

cold dead hands
fair chase or no chase

You dont breathe hard or turn red when you go to the refrigerator to get a beer and you can bend over and tie your boots.
Your good to go.

How much verticle feet you can climb in an hour (with your hunting pack on and at altitude). I have a 2,000 foot ridge that is my goal before each season starts (actually accomplished it this morning).

I ran 2 miles 3 days a week. Did a 1000 ft. hike as fast as possible the other 2.

Dont forgot to do some sit ups too. A strong core will help hall that big buck outta the woods.

Have bow will travel

This is not something i have ever had to worry about as i have always been in great shape.

I will post a pic so you all know i am not BS'ing.

borat.jpg

For the bear hunt, if a bear starts chasing you, you just need to be in better shape then the person your hunting with.

Maybe challenge them to a quick footrace before heading afield.

Now that picture above is just wrong! I judge being in shape for a hunt as being able to catch your breath within a minute of hiking up hill 100 yards. Everybody breaths hard when you exert the effort to climb. It's how fast you recover that says how good of shape you are in.

It's always an adventure!!!
www.awholelottabull.com

LAST EDITED ON Aug-06-07 AT 05:38PM (MST)[p] for me..... A 600 CALORIE BURN IN 52 MINUTES ON THE ELIPTICAL MACHINE.----YD.

The walking/jogging/running won't be enough if you're hunting at altitude. Takes about 3 - 5 days for your lungs to a acclimate if you're coming from sea level to say 9000 - 9500'. Go hike up a mountain and you'll do yerself some good...

THE GYM WORKS REALLY WELL FOR ME, & I DO HUNT AT ALTITUDE EVERY YEAR. WHATS NOT PRACTICAL IS FINDING, & TRAVELING TO A 9000 FT. MT. ON A REGULAR BASIS....WHEN I CAN GET GREAT CARDIO IN THE GYM. IT HELPS TO KEEP IT SOMEWHAT PRACTICAL...YD.

How well you do climbing at altitude( above 9000ft) while smoking a pack of cigs a day.this year i'm going to try for 50 yards of climb before i take a break.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom