Draw Odds System Changes

JDC

Over the years there have been a lot of questions on what point value to enter to properly highlight your point level in the draw odds tables. In trying to address this, I have modified the system a little hoping to make it easier. For now, these changes only apply to Arizona, Utah, and Wyoming but the remaining states will be modified in the coming weeks and months.

For those 3 states, enter the number of points that you have right now. The system will automatically adjust and highlight the proper point level.

I hope that this clears up the confusion that has existed regarding the proper point level entry.

Your comments are welcome.

Jon
www.HuntersTrailhead.com

Jon,

Thank you for the tremendous service you provide us hunters. I know you put a huge amount of time into your site. In my opinion, your site is one of the best hunting sites out there. I use it all the time.

It's a great update to get the bonus point level right...DWR numbers are confusing.

Here's one suggestion to improve the data on the site. The DWR shows where someone draws a tag at each bonus point level. Those non-bonus level tags are at least half of the tags available and where they fall really affects the true odds. If you had another line for the current year that shows all levels where tags were awarded it would help cross referencing the DWR data. Hope this makes sense.

Thanks again,

Jason

HAZMAT

www.muddyroad.net

Great service i use it all the time any idea when Nevada will be current
Thanks

was looking at that yesterday and saw it had been fixed. Thanks for putting it together. I love this tool

4a7d1f93337c7fd7.jpg

Archery is a year round commitment!!

Nvbuck,

Thanks for the feedback.

Of all the states in the odds database, Nevada is the most difficult to acquire the application reports. In the past, the Nevada Department of Wildlife has not been too anxious to provide those reports to me. Last year I received them the day the application process began. Once I have them it usually takes only a few days to run through and calculate everything.

I will continue to work with the NDOW and will update things as quickly as I can.

Thanks

Jon
www.HuntersTrailhead.com

JON....DRAW QUESTION.....(NOT TO CHANGE THE THREAD).....DOES COLORADO CONDUCT THEIR DRAW IN THE SAME FASHION AS UTAH ?? EXAMPLE : UTAH GIVES YOU ANOTHER POINT FOR YOUR APPLICATION FOR THE CURRENT YEAR GOING INTO THE DRAW. IF I HAD 5 POINTS...I WOULD GET CREDIT FOR 6 POINTS....AS THE APP. IS COUNTED AS A POINT GOING IN.....IS THIS CORRECT.....THANKS FOR YOUR TIME...AND I APPRECIATE YOUR SERVICE AS WELL......YD.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-27-09 AT 01:24PM (MST)[p]you get a random number for your app and a random number for each of your points. If you didn't get a number with zero points you could never draw the 1st year you applied.
How the states use those random numbers is the difference in the draws.
Oregon gives you a number for your app and each point but you only actually use the lowest number in the draw process.

Yukon,

I apologize for the delay in my response.

Yes, Colorado is the same as Utah when it comes to how many chances you have in the drawing for deer, elk, pronghorn, and black bear. Your application counts as one chance and each point counts as another chance. So if you have accumulated 5 points, you will have 6 chances in the drawing. However, you do need to have the most points in any particular hunt to have any chance of drawing as 100% of the permits are awarded to those with the most points.

Now if you are talking about sheep, mt goat, or moose your points work differently. Instead of giving you more chances, it divides your "draw number" by the number of points you have. For example, if you are assigned the number 555555 and have 5 points, the number you will actually use in the drawing is 111111. The lower the final number the better chance you have in getting a permit.

I hope that this is understandable.

Jon
www.HuntersTrailhead.com

Jon,

The Fish and Game website shows I have 14 points for Desert Sheep as of 2009. When looking at your website, it is highlighting the 13 point column and not the 14 point column. Which column should I be looking at? Also, do you know how many permits are going to be given on the Zion unit?

Thanks,

Chris

Chris,

You need to be looking at the 13 point column. What you are seeing is the odds for last year when you had 13 points. You have not applied with 14 points yet so we won't know what those odds will be until after the drawing in April.

As for the number of tags on the Zion, that number will not be set until sometime in March. However, I have heard that there may be as many as 4 or 5. The Zion unit will be an awesome tag to have its first year. I would think that there will be a couple giant rams come out of there this fall.

Good luck,

Jon
www.HuntersTrailhead.com

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom