Effect of 2010 Season Dates

KingCrow

Now that the hunts are over did as many top end bucks hit the dirt as had been predicted?

With all the buzz that had been created by the season dates I'm curious to see if the horn hunters "wiped out" the older age class of bucks as many have feared.

From what I saw it may have actually worked opposite of what everyone thought! seemed the rut was two weeks behind because of last years long winter, more trophy hunters meant some were very picky, some not killing a deer at all. and the Taxidermy shop did not see a abundance of mature bucks getting taken! I noticed a very good crop of young bucks in the unit I hunted! even late in the hunt after all the meat hunters were finished up! So the extra days and late dates didnt seem to affect the slaughter of big bucks as alot of folks feared!

LAST EDITED ON Nov-23-10 AT 08:36AM (MST)[p]It was alot harder getting away from the hunters even later in the season because there were so many trophy hunters still hunting!

I've seen more trophy bucks taken 3rd season this year than any other year in recent memory. Friends and family of mine have killed 4 bucks over 200" as well as 3 over 180". This is abnormal as far as I'm concerned considering the units they were hunting.

4afddbfa2842588e.jpg

The taxi's I have talked to are not having a boomer year on deer.....actually a little down from last year. Not bad but a little down. I think we might have squeeked by pretty good in most areas. Enough snow to make hunter access to big bucks tough in 4th season but not enough snow to move most of the big deer down. That's a good scenario for big bucks.

>I've seen more trophy bucks taken
>3rd season this year than
>any other year in recent
>memory. Friends and family of
>mine have killed 4 bucks
>over 200" as well as
>3 over 180". This is
>abnormal as far as I'm
>concerned considering the units they
>were hunting.
>
>
4afddbfa2842588e.jpg

x2..

I held off for a great buck and I think I was the only one that I know who did not fill their deer tag this year. I got to say that I have seen more big bucks killed this year than any other year I can think of.

I personally have seen 5 - 190+ bucks and a one that went over 215". By the final weekend of the 3rd season the bucks were ruttin very hard and every group of doe's had a buck or two around. Sad part is that a lot of small 4 points in the 24" - 25" also hit the dirt. One group I know of went 9 for 11 on smaller type bucks.

The harvest is way up and a bunch of big and small bucks hit the dirt in the central colorado units.

Here that! Treed
Hey born 2 hunt let's see some pics of all those 200 inch bucks! I was with a friend in a super unit 4th season and only saw 1 buck I would tell anyone that it was over 200 and it no longer lives their. Score was 208 3/8 gross

>+1, not to mention i don't
>think the rut really gets
>going down here in the
>sw corner till after thanksgiving
>

There rutting now man go check it out seen some great deer so far just waiting for a giant!!

Gggggaggers is right!!

Man that last buck is one of my favorites that I have seen come out of Colorado this year - just the type of buck I hope to take someday..

I also asked around when I ran into folks over turkey day and yes the harvest for all bucks was way up in colorado... It is fair to say that this was a very successful year for deer hunters.

Born2hunt.....there have always been some epic deer in that gene pool over there. I tend to think there always will be. Another deer from that area came into my taxidermist's early last week from 4th season that was no slouch.(around 195gross) Good looking buck too @ 32" wide. Cool stuff, thanks for sharing the pics. I sure do miss living there.

The 38 inch wide buck was taken by one of my friends dad outside of parachute on a ranch he manages. Himself and his son seem to pull a monster or two each year out of there.

The lack of bucks in taxi shops is not due to lack of deer, it is because nobody has any money. I imagine some of the $400 deer taxis took in quite a few...

They absolutely murdered the mature bucks during 3rd season this year, and quite a few during 2nd too. I hear they were shooting the 170 class stragglers during 4th, which essentially whacked ALL the breeding bucks.

Sad part is, pretty much all the wintering bucks everyone knew about and took pics of for the last couple of years got smoked too. Never seen anything like it.

You're correct. The taxi's charging less are loaded up. I have three good buddies that do great work and they charge from 325-350. They are all pulling in tons of bucks right now. Even if a hunter can't afford a shoulder mount, they are now going with euro mounts. That's just here in Oklahoma too. 400 dollars in the western states isn't much compared to 325 here in okie town.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom