Elk Ivory Info Wanted

TallTimber

I have a number of Elk Ivorys that I have obtained from the past number of years hunting. I have heard these are worth money to make rings and other jewelry. Does anybody know who purchases elk ivorys. Thanks for any input. TT

LAST EDITED ON Jan-22-06 AT 07:11PM (MST)[p]DallanC: and your point in this thread is ???

Besides the fact that I have heard it on authority both ways. Not sure who to believe.

To quote the current Bugle magazine in the article "Ivory-elk's hidden treasure":

"When asked if elk ivories are real ivory, Picton says they are no different than tusks worn by walruses or elephants. 'they're the say chemical composition and structure,' he says. Dueane Rasmussen of Jensen Jewelers in Burley, Idaho, has worked with elk ivoires for more than 30 years. 'Every test we've conducted on them indicates ther're true ivory,' he says.

All I know for sure is that they are beautiful to me and they are some of my most prized posessions.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

I sold mine at the sportsmans show, to a jewler that makes
elk ivory jewlry. $20.00 for the pair

They sell them on E-Bay. Anywhere from $1.00 per pair to $40.00 per pair depending on size and quality.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-24-06 AT 04:52PM (MST)[p]For a pair of good bull ivories I wouldn't take less than $40. For a cow ivories no less than $20 per pair

Ivory is no different chemically than normal teeth. "Ivory" teeth and tusks are simply shaped different and become quite smooth and polished because of their location. But, it's the same material chemically. SO, elk "ivories" are in fact ivory, as are tusks on pigs and elephants. They're all just modified teeth.

An incorrect use of the term ivory is on the tips of antlers or horns. Those are not "ivory tips".

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom