first buck with new bow

C

chavezw16

this is the first buck with my two day old PSE bow madness xs.
shot him at 40 yards right through both shoulders, he ran 30yards and piled up. by the way it was in unit 32 off of highway 13

LAST EDITED ON Sep-22-11 AT 00:10AM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Sep-22-11 AT 00:09?AM (MST)

LAST EDITED ON Sep-22-11 AT 00:08?AM (MST)

pic didnt
9882hunting_work_038.jpg

sorry for the bad pic I shot him right at sunset he is a 7 point

Well the story is i was heading to another spot further down 13 and saw him all by himself in a field with one fat cow. I kept driving about 300 yards down the road and got out and analyzed the situation. he had bedded down under a cholla cactus, so I decided to stalk in as close as possible. Igot the wind in my face and followed the top of the ridge around to where he had bedded. I ranged him at 195 yards. In this paticular pasture there was nothing to hide behind except some prairie grass about 6 inches tall, so I belly crawled through the grass and got up to 78 yards when he stood up. I had been caught. I laid real still and he went back to grazing,every time I made a move he would pick his head up and look my direction. this went on for about an hour and a half laying in the cactus and rocks. he finally dropped into a small draw just out of sight. at that point i tried to make up some ground and get to the bottom of the draw where I thought he was heading. but when I got there he was nowhere to be seen.

Now it was getting late and figured ishould get back to the truck which was about two miles away. I walked back making plans to come back in the morning and find him. I got all the way back to the truck, loaded my gear and started to turn around when I saw antlers.It was my buck.

It seems when I headed to the truck he headed across the highway, thinking he was safe. In a panic I grabbed my bow and release and headed after him. now I just had a few minutes left of legal shooting light, so I had to act fast. with an arrow nocked i started towards him, he was about 100 yards off of the highway. when he saw me coming he tensed up, so I started making some kind of sheep sounds and he just looked at me confused. I walked straight towards him making these weird sounds, I reached for my range finder and realized I forgot it in the truck. So i figured it to be about forty yards set my pin on him and let er fly. I could here the arrow hit bone but could not see where. About the time I thought about how difficult it would be to track him at night he fell in a cloud of dust. A short drag to the truck and loaded him up and came home.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom