Fort Carson Rifle Buck Tag!!!!!!

J

JustHuntn

Hello all... Just found out that I finally drew my Ft. Carson rifle buck tag (WHOO-HOO)... I drew it with 6 points... I use to tag along with a couple buddies that used to draw Cow tags out there... So I'm somewhat familiar with the check-in check-out process... I do have some questions about a few other things...

--Does anyone know how the hunts have gone on base the last couple of years?

--Have they kept the base open to hunters pretty often the last couple of years? I know things were bad after the war started, but havent heard if things have gotten better or worse.

--I know I need to get in contact with the base and register my rifle, and take a class, is there much else I need to do to pass all of their requirements?

I live in Colorado Springs, and I'm hopin I get the chance to hunt on base as much as possible... It kinda worries me that the fate of my hunt may be determined on whether they open the base to hunters or not... Like I said above, I've tagged along with some friends on their hunts before, so I know the caliber of bucks they have on Ft. Carson, so I dont think I'd shoot the first buck I see, but on the other hand, that may be the only weekend they open it up to hunters...

Any insight on the way things have gone the last couple of years would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks,

Justin

Hey Justin ~ Congratulations on the tag. I have hunted deer on Fort Carson the past two years in a row, 05 with my father and last year with a good friend, and hopefully next year with my son - he has 6 points now. The tags are being coming harder to draw each year. They used to give out 50 buck tags a year and this year they went down to 35. This is an awesome tag to have, there are not the number of mature bucks are there used to be, but if you take your time, glass until your eyes are sore, and be patient, you will harvest a good buck!

Even with the war going on and the increase in troops, they have consistently had the base open to hunting every weekend from October 1st through January 31st. You will have 4 months so be patient! The open areas will all depend upon troop movement and training activity, yet most will be open on the weekends and some on week days for low velocity (shotguns or muzzle loaders).

Take care of all the paperwork and registrations early, I would recommend registering at least one if not two rifles and at least one muzzleloader or shotgun, just in case you come across a good buck in one of the low velocity units. Also get your map (provided by the base) and start looking at the areas, you will have to chose one each morning and cannot change it unless you report back to range control, plan on checking in early as you will have to compete with the cow elk hunters for an area as they only allow so many hunters in each area. You should also change your fog lights to yellow lenses, as they do not allow the use of headlights down range, and trust me, coming out of there at dark with a flashlight out the window to see the road is not fun!

Personally I would start in area 18, this is where the majority of the big bucks hang out during the early part of the season, and after the rut. However, once the rut take off (The week before - through Thanksgiving weekend) you need to hunt where the does are.. Most deer hunters do not even start hunting until the week before Thanksgiving.

Let me know if you need a partner to go with you, I would be happy to tag along..

Congrats...My buddy killed a 188 there last year. The area he wanted to hunt was closed for training that day so he went to a backup area and found the buck. He had scouted quite a bit through the summer so had backups ready in case. The only other registration you need is to have your vehicle inspected. You should definately have a great time!

Thanks Stryker and Zekers!!!

It's good to hear that the base has been open to huntin alot... That is my biggest concern...

STRYKER... I remember the rule about no headlights down range... When I used to go with my buddies, we used to just tape yellow or red plastic plates over the headlights... Is this still allowed? I still have a map that they gave us, that breaks down there units... Thanks alot for the tip on zone 18... That kinda rings a bell... I think that I will register my dads' 7mm and my .270 ... Again thanks alot for your help, and I will keep you in mind if I need a huntin partner one weekend...

ZEKERS... Tell your buddy congrats... I'd be extremely happy with somethin at least in the 180's... You said that your buddy scouted alot during the summer... I didnt know that this was allowed... Do I have to be fully registered to do this, or is it just open to anyone? When he went out scouting, did he have to check in and out, like during the season? I'd definately like to get back out there before the season starts, to get familiar with the area again...

Again thanks for your help fellas...

Justin

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom