General deer advice

Weiserbucks

Very Active Member
Our group is headed to Idaho next week and we're basically going in blind . No experience in the area , no scouting etc. Our tags are good in units 21 , 21A , 28 , 29 , 30 , 36 , 36A , 36B , 37 and 37B . Looking for a little advice , are any of those units better than others ? Are there some units we should avoid ? We're not trophy hunters , just looking forward to a good hunt with my son and a good friend .We will be there Oct 9-25 . Im not looking for anyones honey hole , just some friendly advice . Thanks and good luck to all in the upcoming hunts

First get some good maps that show the land ownership, roads, trails, terrain, etc. Pick a few spots to try, personally I'd get as far from the roads and even trails as possible. Might want to get on google earth to see 3-D view of area. Glass and hunt those spots, if you see decent numbers of deer stick around and keep at it. If not, then move to another area. Most areas won't have a lot of deer. Hunting pressure will be highest the first few days and on weekends. I avoid other hunters - had too many hunts screwed up by boneheads. I cant say if any of those areas are better than others - just got to pick some and give it a go. If nothing else your group should have some fun and see some fabulous country in Idaho. Good luck!

I sometimes go out and hunt 36 and 36b. I tend to see more deer along the river and the farther down stream from Stanley the better. 4 points are hard to come by but manage to see a few mature bucks if you get up as high as possible. The little bucks will be hanging with the does but every once in a while a bigger pre rut buck will cruise thru checking things out.

Thanks guys , we need all the help we can get . Its tough going into a new area blind but we will do our best .

Lots of pressure in those areas. Very popular especially around Salmon. I have to echo what other guys are saying about getting up high and remote for the big bucks. I drew an Elk tag a few years back and a few guys shot deer while on that hunt after we got way back in there. They sit on top of ridges and saddles so they can make an easy escape to the other side of the ridge if something were to threaten.

Only one I've hunted is 36a. Fairly steep which I like as I can hike and get away from people on roads. Bottom of unit is private ranches and they are filled with 100's of deer. The unit is very largely public land, but the majority of deer hang in the private. Key is catching one up higher not on a ranch. Which means catching a non local deer as they are the ones on the ranches. Up higher you get a lot of deer coming in but only with bad weather. It's too hot now.

Thanks a lot guys ! We just returned and had a great time . My son was able to harvest his first big game animal , the experience was priceless . I was able to harvest an old , heavy horned 3 point , huge body size and not hardly a tooth left in his head . Very few hunters in the area we concentrated on during deer season . However once elk season opened it was a zoo ! I've never seen so many hunters , camps , atv's and side by sides in my life ! I would do it again in a heartbeat but bust my butt a little harder to try and get it done before elk season opens . Thanks again and good luck to everyone still hunting .

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom