general wyoming questions

elkliver

I have done quite a bit o research on the fish and game website but am having trouble with a couple of questions. can someone point me in the right direction?

to start, I am a non resident (which is why I don't know the answers)

1. Where do I find a list of units that are huntable with the General season elk tag? I know where to go to look at a specific unit and see if it has the general tag but not an overall list.

2. if I understand the general tag right, it lets you hunt in several units for the general rifle tag but the start dates for that rifle tag may vary from unit to unit. Do I have that right? I understand that if I have the general rifle tag I can also go hunt archery? Is that true for all general units? If not true how do I tell which units I can hunt archery and which I cant?

I applied for a general elk tag but depending on what other tags I draw, I may need to be flexible on dates when I go.

If you look in the application booklet download it will say "general" next to units that the gen tag is good for. I have seen a map where someone has highlighted all gen units in the past, but it may have been Huntinfool or Eastmans that put it out in their info.
Every gen area has own season dates. Look at the Regulations, not applications, for last year to get a guess on the dates. It also lists what units you can get the archery tag for toward the end and the dates.
Wyoming can change anything they want for 2014 when they approve new regulations, after the non res draw is done. Usually they don't change things up that much.

For question 2 that is correct. But if you archery hunt be sure to get a archery tag. During general you can hunt September for archery and rifle hunt October. of course check dates and special archery seasons in section 4

Myself and a buddy put in for general tags for full price elk. From what I read and understand ....if we draw.. we can buy an elk archery permit and hunt with a bow in Sept or come back and try to fill our tag in rifle seasons. That's a good deal for us......a 12 hour drive from home, but we love to hunt. There was a posting on here (Wyoming) recently that had a link to the fish and game webb site that answered some questions kinda like yours. Hope luck finds you with the draw results. Hope we are lucky too!!!

thank you every one for the input. this all brought up a second question.... if I am lucky enough tomorrow to find out I drew my general elk tag, are there some of the general units that also end up having leftover reduced price cow tags so my hunting buddy could go also? I am assuming that I could figure that out once they release the list of leftover tags or are there reduced price cow tags in addition to the left over list? I am also assuming that most of the reduced price tags are in units with mostly private . Is it possible to find a unit that I can hunt on the general tag and my buddy can still pick up a cow tag? feel a bit like a stumbling idiot with all the questions but I am slowly but surely figuring it out.

I know the meetetsee area always has extra cow tags. Might be able to get a couple. Got to play the system right. They have different types. Talk to a local game warden for details

There was also a draw with the results out today for all of those LQ reduced price cow/calf tags you're talking about and a lot of them were in General Tag units. You can find the list right on the pages following the full price licenses that were available. When the leftover list is put online all you'll need to do is see which of the General units still have any of those tags available as leftovers, decide where the best unit(s) are for the hunt on your tag and for your buddy to fill a tag if he can buy one online when they go on sale in July.

elkliver,

I tryed to send you last years Left Over RP cow tag list but it came back undeliverable to the Email addy you have on here---

Sorry---I tryed...

Robb

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom