Getting Permission to Hunt?

bukslayer

Hey everyone,new to the forum. There isn't much public land for me to hunt in my area,since it is California and i get the feeling that not many people like hunters around here so, i was hoping that some of you guys could give me advice on how to go about getting permission to hunt from some of the land owners. Another thing, I'm not really looking to get permission to deer hunt, just predator hunt, thanks for any help.

Your local Assessors Office can give you information as far as land ownership. Find out who owns the land and give them a jingle.

WELL BSLAYER..........I HAVE BEEN REAL LUCKY IN GETTING ON SOME GREAT RANCHES, AND THE CATTLE PEOPLE ARE SOME OF MY BEST FRIENDS I HAVE TODAY.

SOME USEFUL INFO...LET THE OWNERS KNOW WHO YOU ARE/ LET THEM MEET YOUR FAMILY, TELL THEM WHO YOU WORK FOR, MOST FOLKS/OWNERS DONT WANT STRANGERS ON THE PROPERTY. BE FRIENDLY !!!!

BE RANCH BROKE....LEAVE GATES LIKE YOU FIND THEM, DONT LITTER, DONT TEAR UP THE PLACE WITH YOUR 4WD, REPORT THINGS THAT ARE NOT RIGHT.....FENCE DOWN, CATTLE OUT, POSSIBLE POACHERS, & SICK CATTLE. FOLLOW ALL GAME LAWS, NO OWNER LIKES AN OUTLAW.

ALWAYS OFFER HARVESTED GAME TO TO OWNERS, AND I ALWAYS VOLUNTEER TO DO SOME WORK AROUND THE RANCH.

THE MOST IMPORTANT: HUNT BY YOURSELF/YOUR BUDDIES WILL JUST GET YOU INTO TROUBLE & ALWAYS CALL AHEAD FOR DAILY PERMISSION. MY AGREEMENT IS THAT I ONLY HUNT MON - FRIDAY, SAT & SUN IS FAMILY TIME FOR THEM & ME AS WELL.

FIND OUT WHAT THEY LIKE......GIFT CARDS TO RESTAURANTS,CANDY AT CHRISTMAS, & WE GO TO LUNCH AT A NEAR BY CAFE OFTEN. BE A GIVER/ NOT JUST A TAKER.

OH.....AND DONT ACCIDENTLY POP A MOO COW.....I DOES HAPPEN !!!!

THIS WORKS WELL....I HAVE HUNTED SOME OF THESE RANCHES SINCE 1987...........HAPPY NEW YEAR.................YD.

Be dressed nice when you go ask them. Don't be decked out in camo like you expect to hunt then and there. Be clean, and have your truck clean too. Offer service around the property in exchange for hunting too, like previously said.

I usually ask permission here in California for deer hunting. after introducing myself, it goes something like this:

"It's sure been hot and dry this year. Would you rather let me hunt or have a forest fire?"

It doesn't always work so be ready to run.

Eel

Just to add to the good advice you have been given. Make your contact with the landowner in person, not by telephone. Also choose a time that you think is convient for the landowner. do not knock when he is sitting down to dinner.

Over the years I have been able to hunt some very good ranches just for the asking. If you get a good spot, follow the advice given above about giving something back to the rancher/farmer and he will remember you the next time you come around for hunting permission.

RELH

Sorry about that YD!!! I apologize and guess I hadn't really noticed in your other posts because mine aren't too dang good any more either, LOL!!!

I CAN SPOT A DEER AT A MILE, BUT A FOOT IN FRONT OF ME IS TUFF.........BUT MY ARMS ARE GETTING LONGER............YD.

One little trick that I've used is to print some cheap cards with your name, address, permit number, drivers license, truck tags number etc.

Someone already said the landowners don't want strangers on their land. Don't be a stranger.

Good luck,
Zeke

I've had some very good luck getting permission. I rarely just come out and ask to hunt. I like to complement the owner on his place and usually that gets them at ease and talking about what they do and the troubles that they are having. coming from a ranch-farm background i can relate to most of their concerns and will agree with them, maybe even chip in with my own experiences.

What seems to work best for me is telling the prospective permission giver, my trouble in finding a good place to hunt. By then, i've formed some common type of bond with the owner and it is surprising how often that person will then try to help you out.

I still haven't directly asked for permission, many times you won't have to, yet you will walk away with a permission slip in your pocket.

Once you do get a great place to hunt, drop by in the off season with gifts, a bucket of pears from your tree, extra trout that you caught, maybe a big ol turkey around New Years, similar, or all the above. Call ahead of time and mention that you were wanting to stop by. You'll find the ranchers-farmers more and more looking forward to your visits until you become almost like family.

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

Sounds just like getting "permission" from my wife! LOL

That's good advice, Mr Sage, for any permission asking activity.

Zeke

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom