Glassing Tips

Mike0426

Good Morning All,

I have an upcoming deer hunt, (only thing I drew) and plan to hunt an area that we have seen big deer but is extremely wooded but also has some shoots and fingers that we hope to find something in. I feel pretty confident in my ability behind the glass, but just looking to see if what people do mid November with deer. Are they still bachelored up high? Are they starting to get with does? it seems to be pretty dry, so do i just glass a water hole. Don't hunt deer very often, I know the area well, just looking to see where I should point the glass first. Thanks for any tips.

They shouldn’t be bachelor upped at all. They should either be alone or searching for does that are in heat.

Don’t focus efforts on water holes but more so vantage points that you can glass as much area from one point.

In my experience the southern NM muleys can still be in bachelor groups in mid November but don’t count on it. Many bucks will have started the transition to pre rut activity and the bachelor groups start breaking up by mid November. I’ve never noticed any significant rutting activity in mid November in southern NM. It is generally warm so the first hour or two of light and the last hour of light are the times I feel most likely to glass up bucks.

Northern NM is a different story. If you are hunting close to the Colorado boarder I would expect to see rutting behavior from bucks.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom