Greatest Mule Deer Hunter of all time?

A.T weindler
ranger peeler to name a few , don’t know any moderen guys that aren’t social media cheaters or theives
IMG_0145.jpeg
IMG_0120.jpeg
IMG_0119.jpeg
IMG_0118.jpeg
IMG_1316.jpeg
IMG_1687.jpeg
IMG_0314.jpeg

Mike Barrett, he has killed 40 pope and young mule deer with a stick bow and several of those over 200”. Just a blue collar carpenter from Wyoming. I don’t think anybody can touch that or ever will, unless mule deer make a miraculous recovery. He told me there is “too many people and not enough deer”.

Best of all time LOL! Pretty narrow views of “all time”

Watched that American buffalo show Ken burns made. Talked about some Irish lord that came over here in the mid 1800’s. Killed some 3000 deer, 2000 elk 4000 some odd buffalo and who knows how many prong horns , bears and whatever else was walking around in a 3 year hunt. I bet some of them were pretty big…..yeah, best of all time I’m sure…

I agree that none of the big money people that buy high end tags and are guided are part of this conversation. On my list are Robby Denning, Jason Carter and Mike Herschi I have met all three and the knowledge they have acquired and their results are at the top. Robby and Mike primarily hunt alone. Jason has a crew that simply knows how to get it done but on his own he would still be a killer.

A mule deer hunter that selectively hunted big deer in the late 60’s-80’s has a handful over 200” and 3 over 250”.
What a time in our history…

I would hope that there is a % of MM’s that are not ignorant to the fact that multiple hunters have killed 220+ deer in their lifetime, it might be quantified by us peeons, but it’s happened allot.

There are a lot of them and I don’t want to take anything away from them. Who is the best or who thinks they’re the best. I’m lucky I have friends that have huge collections of the biggest Mule Deer ever killed, it’s truly amazing putting your hands on these giants. The guys that killed really big Deer In the Glory Days are dying and some of these fellows took quite a few Big Deer. 240 to 280. You can name an old timer like Ted Riggs or Kirk Darner. Who is the best - Thomas Baker- Jason Carter- Ryan Hatch- Clay Bundy - Jimmy John -Doyle Moss- Hush - Camron Haase
HUSH & Cameron Hanes? How dare you list those guys with some of the greats. That’s some major disrespect. Hopefully you find the real answers your looking for. There’s a lot of great people and points being listed- learn from this post. And know the that those idiots are not even in the top 100 of Mule Deer Hunters let alone the “best of all time” I’m going with Carter, Moss and Hatch. The decades speak for themselves.

I’ve been doing some research. I’m thinking it would be a Blackfoot, Shoshone, or a Ute, Native American but I don’t know his name.

He deserves a mention, even though he is better known for saving the western mule deer as we currently know them. He’s single handedly taken utah from a barren waste land of pizz poor pathetic wildlife mismanagement and has molded the beehave current state of Serengeti. He very well maybe both the savior of Mule deer yet an elite top shelf pursuant of the species.
Good luck in the late hunts to all the tag holders.

IMG_7027.jpeg

How about a little Wine with your Deer. Mr Gallo knows Big BucksView attachment 125981
Mr. Gallo wouldn't kill anything without his Guides........I'm not shitting on him for having money because lord knows I'd do the same thing. I'm just saying the thread is "Greatest Mule Deer Hunters Of All Time" not "Greatest Mule Deer SHOOTERS Of All Time" the guys responsible for finding this deer for this harvest are the real hunters. In my humble opinion. just saying 🤷‍♂️, still like to see his harvest's every year so at least some of us can see deer like this still exist haha.

Wait you guys almost forgot. What about the Eastmans =🤡. 😂😂😂 “No fences here.” DIY experts

Last edited:
There are a lot of them and I don’t want to take anything away from them. Who is the best or who thinks they’re the best. I’m lucky I have friends that have huge collections of the biggest Mule Deer ever killed, it’s truly amazing putting your hands on these giants. The guys that killed really big Deer In the Glory Days are dying and some of these fellows took quite a few Big Deer. 240 to 280. You can name an old timer like Ted Riggs or Kirk Darner. Who is the best - Thomas Baker- Jason Carter- Ryan Hatch- Clay Bundy - Jimmy John -Doyle Moss- Hush - Camron Haase
AND Bud Felton!!

There was a guy from near Pinedale ( I think he lives near Boulder, WY Now) named Albert Ellis. Last I heard he was still living there. He was mentioned many times in those early Eastman videos and was a great hunter; way before his time he was up high chasing those giant bucks.

I talked to him a time or two and he was a very humble and helpful person. He's definitely worth considering from a Wyoming perspective.

Maybe someone knows more details about his legacy.

Some great mule deer hunters are still alive and hunting today. I’m not going to list them but a few post on this web site. They already know who they are. They find ways to get tags and then find mature mule deer.

A friend of mine has taken nine 200 inch mule deer with a stick and string bow.
That is a real challenge...I would love to see pics of his trophy wall. Not calling you out, but there are not many places you get to see 9 200" muleys together. I'm afraid I would spend too much time hanging around his place and taking notes. Hats off to the hunter.

There was a guy from near Pinedale ( I think he lives near Boulder, WY Now) named Albert Ellis. Last I heard he was still living there. He was mentioned many times in those early Eastman videos and was a great hunter; way before his time he was up high chasing those giant bucks.

I talked to him a time or two and he was a very humble and helpful person. He's definitely worth considering from a Wyoming perspective.

Maybe someone knows more details about his legacy.
I met him a very long time ago,I was trying to remember his name. I believe his nephew hunted with him and they killed some nice bucks on the Idaho side of the Tetons

I know of one thats going to turn 90 this year. I don't believe he has killed mule deer in over 20 years. But man I could listen to him tell stories for hours and his collection of bucks would rank at the top had he ever shared them outside of a very very tiny circle.

I know of one thats going to turn 90 this year. I don't believe he has killed mule deer in over 20 years. But man I could listen to him tell stories for hours and his collection of bucks would rank at the top had he ever shared them outside of a very very tiny circle.
Cody, did any of you get pictures of those bucks before they got dispersed?

is he? or like many others does he have his posse locate bucks and he shoots them... I don't call those guys great hunters.
As far as I’m aware, he does all the hard work himself. Sure he’s got helpers during the hunt sometimes, but everyone does. I doubt he’s relying on anyone to tell him where the big deer are. He’s figuring that out all on his own. If I remember correctly, he will admit he’d rather hunt alone and a lot of times he does.

I personally think its a ridiculous question. No way to answer it...

Is it the guy who kills the biggest mule deer ever at 355"..?
What about a guy who has killed two bucks at 255+" each..?
What about the guy who has killed four bucks over 200"..?
A guy who has killed 20 bucks over 180"..?
The guy who has killed 83 bucks in one state over a lifetime..?

I'll tell you what I thought when I saw this dude's wall... "where does he get to hunt?" Not "woh, he must be a good hunter".

personally think its a ridiculous question. No way to answer it...
Kinda like I eluded to earlier in this thread. My guess is the “greatest mule deer hunter ever” whoever he was, has probably been dead for a couple hundred years and may well have hunted bare foot or bare back or both. Question here really, is who are you the biggest fanboy of

Kinda like I eluded to earlier in this thread. My guess is the “greatest mule deer hunter ever” whoever he was, has probably been dead for a couple hundred years and may well have hunted bare foot or bare back or both. Question here really, is who are you the biggest fanboy of
I think fanboy is a mislabel for some on here. I think if you are very passionate about something and you work hard at it and see others that have success you gain and acknowledge a respect. Way different than fanboying.

I think fanboy is a mislabel for some on here. I think if you are very passionate about something and you work hard at it and see others that have success you gain and acknowledge a respect. Way different than fanboying.

True.

But it the how.

I read you and Lumpy talking about someone you know.

I think that generation is long gone. Guys our age and older all knew that guy that threw away more big deer than we had killed, and the only way we knew about them, was WE asked.

Now days it's become such an industry, it's shoved down people's throats.

It's why i always respected @Founder. He shares on this site, but outside of here, I doubt many have heard of him, and he obviously kills big deer..

I'm old school. I love it when someone gets a deer or elk that is for sure book quality, and never gets it measured or published, it's just " a big deer" or "big" elk

Most recent, “Cody Robins”?

Also there two brothers from Texas (last name Burnham) in the mid-60s who were wreaking Muley havoc in Colorado at that time! Same brothers who manufactured and sold game calls.

I was introduced to a gentleman some years back around Loa Utah. I believe his name was Randy Bradberry. He had room full of bucks that were super impressive. Pretty sure he never had them scored at that time.

are we talking an ethical mule deer hunter because I don't think Kirt Darner fits that description. read up on his history. Lots of poaching going on with that guy.

I was introduced to a gentleman some years back around Loa Utah. I believe his name was Randy Bradberry. He had room full of bucks that were super impressive. Pretty sure he never had them scored at that time.
Yep, he was a good one. He’s still living there but apparently his health hasn’t been great the last few years. Good man.

The Ogdens from Sevier Country are still alive and taking great mule deer…… also the Parson family are still killing great mule deer.

A great deal of how good of a hunter you are or were depends on when and where you lived. any chucklehead with a 30-30 could have killed more big bucks in Colorado in the day than anyone possibly could today.

But for the best, Kirt Darner . nobody remembers his accomplishments because of all the stupid stuff.

A great deal of how good of a hunter you are or were depends on when and where you lived. any chucklehead with a 30-30 could have killed more big bucks in Colorado in the day than anyone possibly could today.

But for the best, Kirt Darner . nobody remembers his accomplishments because of all the stupid stuff.
It would be interesting to know how many, if any, of his mulies were killed legitimately. He sure had me fooled back then.

If I had Been A Poacher Like DARNER!

I'd Have A Bunch More Than What I Have Now!

He's About As FAKE & F'N PHONY As They Get!

Do You Know 440 Some Of The BS He Pulled Off/Tried Pulling Off?

I Don't remember Exactly What year It Was?

I Wanna Say Around 89-90 There Was An EXPO At The Salt Palace!

Me & My Friend Went To It!

Alot Of Big Bucks There!

DARNER Had Some On The Wall!

One Of Them Really Grabbed My Attention!

The Antlers Were Layed Out Around 40" Wide!

The More I Studied It The More I Knew Something Was Up!

Just Didn't Look Right!

A Couple/Few Years Later Somebody X-Rayed The ScullPlate & Sure Enough It Had Been Split!

I Knew Right Then He Was up To No Good!

Then later There Was Other BS That Went Down!

What I'd Like To See Is His Legal Heads/Racks In One Pile & The Rest In Another Pile!

How Bout It 440?

The Mistake I Made Was Only Buying A Couple Of His Books!

The Autographed Book Brought Me 500.00 Within Minutes!

To Me It Ain't Worth SQUAT!
He was a dam good hunter and and a nice man. Mule Deer, I mean Big Mule Deer get under a man’s skin, they eat at him like no other animal. I do not no what he’s done illegally or not but if you dug around the west or big Mule Deer circles there have been a lot of things happen that maybe shouldn’t have, especially years ago. Elk I will lend you a copy of mine
IMG_3200.jpeg

No Need for that!

I Still Have One Left!

He was a dam good hunter and and a nice man. Mule Deer, I mean Big Mule Deer get under a man’s skin, they eat at him like no other animal. I do not no what he’s done illegally or not but if you dug around the west or big Mule Deer circles there have been a lot of things happen that maybe shouldn’t have, especially years ago. Elk I will lend you a copy of mineView attachment 147130

He was a dam good hunter and and a nice man. Mule Deer, I mean Big Mule Deer get under a man’s skin, they eat at him like no other animal. I do not no what he’s done illegally or not but if you dug around the west or big Mule Deer circles there have been a lot of things happen that maybe shouldn’t have, especially years ago. Elk I will lend you a copy of mineView attachment 147130
How do you not know what he is done? Most of it is public information you can see his charges. Not to mention the dozens of articles that have covered it.

Here is one where he claimed he shot a buck that someone else did. Didn't you ever wonder why most of his pics were shoulder mounts and no full body pics of the deer?

The shooters mentioned earlier are not great deer hunters. The guys guiding them are the great deer hunters. There is no way to measure who the greatest is like Jordan in basketball. There are alot of great deer hunters but many mentioned in this thread are definatley not great deer hunters.

I Think When People Break The Law/Laws A Little Bit & Get Away With It They Move On To Bigger & Badder Things Alot Of The Time!

Not Gonna Argue With You hawk!

To Talk With Him He Seemed To Be A Nice Guy!

But You Surely Don't Get To Know Them In Just A Few Minutes Of Talking With Him!

I Know You Knew Him Way Better Than I Did!

A great deal of how good of a hunter you are or were depends on when and where you lived
This. I love the old timer pics of 5 huge bucks laying across the hood of a 1932 ford as much as the next guy but fact is, there was no seasons, no people in the west and you could walk out on the winter range any given day and shoot a giant. There’s a reason those guys weren’t scoring bucks and hanging them in the house. They piled horns in the barn because it wasn’t that big a deal

The shooters mentioned earlier are not great deer hunters. The guys guiding them are the great deer hunters. There is no way to measure who the greatest is like Jordan in basketball. There are alot of great deer hunters but many mentioned in this thread are definatley not great deer hunters.
Okay……. Who are those guides …… I don’t think anyone is stopping anyone from claiming a guide is the greatest mule deer hunter.

List him/her up.

IMG_0865.jpeg
This. I love the old timer pics of 5 huge bucks laying across the hood of a 1932 ford as much as the next guy but fact is, there was no seasons, no people in the west and you could walk out on the winter range any given day and shoot a giant. There’s a reason those guys weren’t scoring bucks and hanging them in the house. They piled horns in the barn because it wasn’t that big a deal
I don’t know about that, Grover Browning not only has the Idaho state record but has 3 bucks in the book. Most men have always liked big racks

My dad talked to Ted Riggs many years ago and he said that he had over 50 deer wider than 36" ion a shed in Los Vegas, and at least 2 over 40" wide including a 45 incher on the wall at his summer home in Ely, Nevada. He got a lot of them on the Arizona Strip. He used to winch his jeep of a cliff and then drive cross country a few miles to his favorite area. It is a wilderness area now, so he couldn't do that any more. He complained about how hard it was to draw tags in good areas anymore even way back than.

You have all lost your damn minds. There are those who do give a **** about scores. I know 2 men, one is my dad. The other has more 30” mule deer than any man I know. These men don’t care scores. I knew Doyle when he finished concrete. He is a kind man period.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom